PDA

View Full Version : Best Poly for VS Natural Gut Hybrid?

GasquetGOAT
03-06-2008, 10:58 AM
What are the best poly strings to use as Crosses with Babolat VS Natural ThermoGut 16 as Mains?

I've tried Yonex Poly Tour 1.25 16L, it worked very nicely with the VS but was broken before the mains did. So what poly strings would outlast VS gut 16 in durability while offering compatible performance as the Yonex poly tour?

Thanks

master_stringer_mitchy
03-06-2008, 11:24 AM
alu power rough and babolat pro hurrice are very good, :)

GasquetGOAT
03-06-2008, 11:36 AM
alu power rough and babolat pro hurrice are very good, :)

which pro hurricane, tour or non tour?

stav_babolat
03-06-2008, 11:40 AM

id say tour, i dunno but hasnt the tour kinda replaced the non tour.

master_stringer_mitchy
03-06-2008, 11:44 AM

being honest, i would say the tour for the 1st few hits, not a better string after being strung, but looses tension fast. ive found that machines that pre stretch help with this, u need to do 20%. the normal hurricane is not being phassed out, they are just promoting the tour more.

nickb
03-06-2008, 11:52 AM
Ive had great success using Luxilon Big Banger Original in my crosses with VS mains...durability was very impressive.

Nick

bronco_mba
03-06-2008, 12:41 PM
another vote for lux alu rough.

GasquetGOAT
03-07-2008, 01:55 PM
being honest, i would say the tour for the 1st few hits, not a better string after being strung, but looses tension fast. ive found that machines that pre stretch help with this, u need to do 20%. the normal hurricane is not being phassed out, they are just promoting the tour more.

The tour costs a lot more than the non tour (in reels) at TW. Can we justify the price difference?

TonyB
03-07-2008, 02:51 PM
I've used ALU Power Rough in the crosses with gut mains and it worked very well. Very well.

Right now, I'm using Weiscannon Silverstring as a cross with the same gut mains. The playability of the Silverstring is much improved over the ALU Power Rough. Much more feel and the pocketing is better. Power level is approximately the same, with a slight edge to the Silverstring. Spin generation is virtually identical.

Until proven otherwise, the Silverstring is far superior than the ALU Power Rough as a cross string for me.

PROTENNIS63
03-07-2008, 03:44 PM
I used to do poly/gut hybrids. I used Tough Gut or Armour Pro. I tried Poly Plasma, Big Ace, and Cyber Flash. The best of the 3 was Big Ace. The only problem was it will start to move after like 20-25 hours of play. I hate moving back strings but I usually change my strings like once a week.

fastdunn
03-07-2008, 04:31 PM
I've tried Yonex Poly Tour 1.25 16L, it worked very nicely with the VS but was broken before the mains did.

That is unusual. I have been playing with babolat Tonic+ mains and crosses never broke down on me before mains. Not even nylons. hard to believe with polyester. could it be just unusual shearing incident or poor string job ? I would give Yonex Poly another chance.
How long did the Yonex Poly Tour last ? (in terms of playing time and also days....)

mraznman
03-07-2008, 04:54 PM
I usually use Babolat Pro Hurricane 17's with VS Naturals, but naturals never outlast the polys for me.

hoodjem
03-08-2008, 07:56 AM
Ive had great success using Luxilon Big Banger Original in my crosses with VS mains...durability was very impressive.

Nick

I've been thinking of trying a poly/nat gut hybrid like this.

But I was staying away from Lux because of what I've heard about it losing tension fast and going dead quickly.

Is this a problem in this hybrid?

ledor
03-08-2008, 06:39 PM

Nick

I have the same setup as Nick.

mraznman
03-08-2008, 06:51 PM

But I was staying away from Lux because of what I've heard about it losing tension fast and going dead quickly.

yea. it's true. If you're a string killer, who needs to change strings every week or two, then sure. Luxilon poly with naturals are best for u, but if ur not, then no. Luxilons tend to stretch and lose tension and quality over time. that's why i stick with hurricanes, cuz i snap strings about once every 3 weeks to a months.

nickb
03-09-2008, 01:41 AM

Not really...I can play it until breakage...I cant say the same for full lux.

You could try a co-poly like Cyberflash, Big Ace etc in the crosses...they will hold tension better.

Nick

vndesu
03-09-2008, 01:46 AM
try pro red codes or big aces

leonardtay
03-09-2008, 06:10 AM
I've used ALU Power Rough in the crosses with gut mains and it worked very well. Very well.

Right now, I'm using Weiscannon Silverstring as a cross with the same gut mains. The playability of the Silverstring is much improved over the ALU Power Rough. Much more feel and the pocketing is better. Power level is approximately the same, with a slight edge to the Silverstring. Spin generation is virtually identical.

Until proven otherwise, the Silverstring is far superior than the ALU Power Rough as a cross string for me.

Could you tell me how much looser you string the Silverstring than the Natural Gut?

Also, what is the gauge of Silverstring you use? 1.20 or 1.25?

Thanks.

leonardtay
03-09-2008, 06:15 AM
Not really...I can play it until breakage...I cant say the same for full lux.

You could try a co-poly like Cyberflash, Big Ace etc in the crosses...they will hold tension better.

Nick

That is what I felt too in my K90s, for some reason, the loss of playability when Lux is used in the crosses is not so noticeable or not there... I felt a little loss of playability when using the Lux Rough in the mains though but still not as drastic a loss as when using a full Lux string job. I have used my current setup of KGut pro in the mains with Lux BB AP Rough in the crosses at tension 56/53 for about 35 hours now and still no appreciable loss of playability in the setup as a whole. However the KGut has started notching and will probably snap in about 2-3 hours of play. Next round of stringing I am going to try Kgut pro at 53 with Silverstring at 51... I figure that this setup would last about 40+ hours without breakage or loss of playability. My final target tension is 48/46.

master_stringer_mitchy
03-09-2008, 08:28 AM
The tour costs a lot more than the non tour (in reels) at TW. Can we justify the price difference?

i would say not. i can only describe the feel of normal hurricane as crisp and sharp. however, looking at most pro's, iknow ivan lub and maria use hurricane in the hybrid, most others use alu power, must be saying something.

TonyB
03-09-2008, 12:42 PM
Could you tell me how much looser you string the Silverstring than the Natural Gut?

Also, what is the gauge of Silverstring you use? 1.20 or 1.25?

Thanks.

I use Silverstring 1.20.

For my natural gut/poly hybrid, I usually go 58 mains and 54 crosses. Next time around, I plan to drop to 58/52 to see if there's a difference in pocketing.

But since the poly will lose more tension than the gut, I think staying at 54 for the crosses will be okay until the tension loss kicks in, which would drop it to around 56 mains and 50 crosses anyway. I usually continue to use my strings until they've lost too much tension and are unplayable. I rarely break strings, even though I use a decent amount of topspin. My last hybrid string set, I got around 36-40 hours out of it.

As a note, the Silverstring in the 1.20 diameter is much more playable than the 1.25 diameter. They're almost like different strings entirely.

leonardtay
03-09-2008, 04:44 PM
I use Silverstring 1.20.

For my natural gut/poly hybrid, I usually go 58 mains and 54 crosses. Next time around, I plan to drop to 58/52 to see if there's a difference in pocketing.

But since the poly will lose more tension than the gut, I think staying at 54 for the crosses will be okay until the tension loss kicks in, which would drop it to around 56 mains and 50 crosses anyway. I usually continue to use my strings until they've lost too much tension and are unplayable. I rarely break strings, even though I use a decent amount of topspin. My last hybrid string set, I got around 36-40 hours out of it.

As a note, the Silverstring in the 1.20 diameter is much more playable than the 1.25 diameter. They're almost like different strings entirely.

Noted and thanks for the reply. I currently string my Lux at about 3 lbs looser than the KGut Pro but I guess Gut would stretch a bit more than KGP so perhaps 3lbs less in a KGP/Silverstring hybrid would be the way to go? What do you think? I am not so familiar with Silverstring but I have it strung full in one of my Pro IIIs and it feels a bit stiffer than Lux AP Rough...

coloskier
03-10-2008, 06:34 AM

It is a problem with ANY hybrid. Poly goes dead within 2-3 weeks, and I have not found a poly that doesn't. That is why I am back to playing full gut. What good is a hybrid when you have to cut it out of your racket every 2-3 weeks? I usually get at least 5-6 weeks out of a full gut job (before it breaks), and I don't have to worry about losing string tension in the middle of a match.

Pusher
03-10-2008, 06:56 AM

Nick

I suspect thats a good hybrid. I might even go to the 1.38 for the cross.

I also think Pro hurricane (not tour) in 16ga would work well. Thats a tough string that holds up well in heavy hitting.

GasquetGOAT
03-15-2008, 12:48 PM
It is a problem with ANY hybrid. Poly goes dead within 2-3 weeks, and I have not found a poly that doesn't. That is why I am back to playing full gut. What good is a hybrid when you have to cut it out of your racket every 2-3 weeks? I usually get at least 5-6 weeks out of a full gut job (before it breaks), and I don't have to worry about losing string tension in the middle of a match.

What about multi in the crosses, do they hold tensions as well as gut? and do they break eaiser than gut?

jackson vile
03-15-2008, 05:31 PM
I use Silverstring 1.20.

What racket do you use and what is your playing style?

GasquetGOAT
03-28-2008, 02:30 PM
[QUOTE=GasquetGOAT;2161968]What about multi in the crosses, do they hold tensions as well as gut? and do they break eaiser than gut?[/QOTE]

bump

leonardtay
03-28-2008, 03:40 PM
[QUOTE=GasquetGOAT;2161968]What about multi in the crosses, do they hold tensions as well as gut? and do they break eaiser than gut?[/QOTE]

bump

I feel that gut holds tension better. Multis do last a bit longer though.

volleyman
03-28-2008, 03:48 PM
Right now I'm using a multi/poly hybrid (Maxim Touch/Big Ace). It plays well, but too my surprise, tension loss got to me before the MT snapped. It lasted about 8 hours of singles, and 2 hours of doubles before it loosened enough to negatively affect my play.

Gut holds tension much better than most any multi. String gauge being things being equal, and conditions not being soaking wet, gut mains should outlast multi mains.

Of course, the next question is do they last so much longer that they make up for the price differential? I'm still working that one out. :-)

jasonbourne
03-28-2008, 06:22 PM
Right now I'm using a multi/poly hybrid (Maxim Touch/Big Ace). It plays well, but too my surprise, tension loss got to me before the MT snapped. It lasted about 8 hours of singles, and 2 hours of doubles before it loosened enough to negatively affect my play.

Gut holds tension much better than most any multi. String gauge being things being equal, and conditions not being soaking wet, gut mains should outlast multi mains.

Of course, the next question is do they last so much longer that they make up for the price differential? I'm still working that one out. :-)

volleyman, from my experience, I find it hard to justify using AP or Legend mains when MT mains provide better value for length of playability.

Let us know what you ultimately end up realizing from your experience.

tenis
03-28-2008, 08:22 PM
You need strig which hold tension very well.
Try SPPP on cross, gut on mains!

blackfrido
06-20-2008, 03:36 PM

I have a question, I'm about to string my racquets with a multi mains and silvestring crosses (kind of similar to your set up).
I'm a first time user of Silverstring, Do you go lower like any other poly with Silverstring?
thanks!

TonyB
06-20-2008, 04:12 PM
The package says to go 8% lower. That's just about how much lower I go. I string with 58 lb. gut mains and 52 lb. Silverstring crosses. This is more than 10%, but I'm using a Yonex, so I go a little more than 8%.

One thing you have to be aware of is that this hybrid will play GREAT for about 2 hours. Then it will seem like it's not quite so great for the next 30 hours until it really starts to get loose. The tension drop curve is pretty sharp, so you'll know it when it happens. But until then, it plays consistently from one day to the next. I've never found anything else to play quite so consistently for so long.

So in brief, it's not perfect, but it's the most perfect hybrid that I've found so far. You just have to be aware that you'll probably LOVE it for the first few sets, then you'll just like it a lot after that.

Nellie
06-20-2008, 06:43 PM
I find that the softer poly's (co-polys like Pro-line 2) do not do well in a hybrid. I prefer a stifer string, like a code red.

Tofuspeedstar
06-20-2008, 07:28 PM
See my sig dawg!

blackfrido
06-23-2008, 04:23 AM
The package says to go 8% lower. That's just about how much lower I go. I string with 58 lb. gut mains and 52 lb. Silverstring crosses. This is more than 10%, but I'm using a Yonex, so I go a little more than 8%.

One thing you have to be aware of is that this hybrid will play GREAT for about 2 hours. Then it will seem like it's not quite so great for the next 30 hours until it really starts to get loose. The tension drop curve is pretty sharp, so you'll know it when it happens. But until then, it plays consistently from one day to the next. I've never found anything else to play quite so consistently for so long.

So in brief, it's not perfect, but it's the most perfect hybrid that I've found so far. You just have to be aware that you'll probably LOVE it for the first few sets, then you'll just like it a lot after that.

thanks for the answer! I strung and played already with mains @ 60 Pro Supex Maxim Touch and @ 54 crosses with Silverstring.
I played two sets, I'm satisfied with this set up. It's not awesome but maybe it's just me looking for a miracle :oops:
Probably I would have to go next time 1 or 2 pounds lower to get a better (or bigger) sweet spot, but not complains at all, by far one of the best strings/set ups I tried in a long time.