PDA

View Full Version : Sonic Pro

miniRafa386
03-06-2008, 01:44 PM
Ok, i just want to put the word out there that Head's Sonic Pro is one of the absolute BEST polyester strings on the market, if you string it LOW that is. I had a set left of it at my house and was like 'hey, why not try a full set of this? ive never done that yet'. so i string it up at 52lbs. I hit with it for a little on monday, but soon had to switch to my normal SPPP/multi set up to get used to the string for a tourny that weekend. after my tourny, i go play with my cousin. Normally, he would destroy me, 6-2 most of the time, my personal best was 6-4. But that night, the string made all the difference, especially on the clay we were playing on. I started out the night terribly, down 0-3, but soon came to terms with the string. I took a step back off the baseline and started WAILING at the ball, a Nadal/Federer/Roddick/Gonzalez/any other pro on tour kind of wail. The tennis balls turned into eggs on my groundies, and watermelons as serves. I eventually won the set 7-5, but the string had a lot to do with it.

anyone, enough with my story, about the string. VERY SOFT, not the greatest tension maintainence, but good enough, VERY good spin production, not much power, and highly control orientated.

just wanted to get the word out....

jcstennis
03-06-2008, 02:08 PM
Sonic has always felt dead, dull and plastic to me :( but as you said, spin is good (have to agree there)... and it really doesn't move too much, not bad there... never played it at "lower" tensions... only played Sonic on Head demo racquets, so, probably at mid tension... never demo'd it on a Radical (just the Extreme and Prestiges)

let us know if you win with it again! :)

weaver
03-06-2008, 02:13 PM
I'm not a fan of the Sonic pro either... As with jsctennis, the string felt dead and dull... I like stiffer strings and am a huge fan the the Head Ultra tour... Not to say that Sonic pro is a bad string... I know plenty of people who use it, just in IMHO it isn't good...

wao
03-06-2008, 02:55 PM
Sonic has always felt dead, dull and plastic to me :( but as you said, spin is good (have to agree there)... and it really doesn't move too much, not bad there... never played it at "lower" tensions... only played Sonic on Head demo racquets, so, probably at mid tension... never demo'd it on a Radical (just the Extreme and Prestiges)

let us know if you win with it again! :)
I have to agree, it felt dead and it was just strung. Cut it out after the first hit and would never go back.

Kingofthecourt67
03-07-2008, 10:19 PM
I use full Head Sonic and have to say that I have grown accustomed to it. Like you said, I love the spin I can generate. I strung it at 60 on my Hybrid Hornet OS(avg is 60). Only downside is that I have tennis elbow now so I am attempting to use hybrids with the Sonic as the main. Hopefully it works out.