PDA

View Full Version : Wilson Synthetic Gut Ultra

him88002
03-06-2008, 02:14 PM
Wilson Ultra Synthetic Gut 16

I got a half reel for free. Has anyone else played with it. How does it compare to psgd 16 because I string for my girlfriend and that's what she uses but I'm out and need to restring a couple of her rackets for a tourney next week.

nickb
03-06-2008, 02:27 PM
Its a pretty old string...feels just like a regular cheap nylon...bad tension maintenance..im not suprised you got it for free!

Nick

PROTENNIS63
03-06-2008, 02:34 PM
PSGD is way better than this string. I personally found Forten Comp. Nylon to play better than the Syn. Gut Ultra.

him88002
03-06-2008, 04:50 PM
Well I also have a reel of Gosen Micro 16 white. How does that compare to psgd?

Azzurri
03-07-2008, 07:44 AM
Well I also have a reel of Gosen Micro 16 white. How does that compare to psgd?

The Gosen sucks...I would be happy to take it off your hands, teh Wilson is the best syn gut on the market...:twisted:

Kidding, the Wilson syn gut Ultra is not a good string. Gos dead very, very quickly. Not worth the time it would take to string it. If you use it as a cross or string for customer, then fine, but not for yourself.

jazar
03-07-2008, 07:48 AM
i got a reel of it, would never put it in any of my rackets though. i give it to customers and they dont complain about it (though they know pretty much nothing about strings). they reckon its got pretty decent durability and its cheap

phamster
03-07-2008, 08:14 AM
i think it is just high quality nylon.. can't believe wilson even calls it syn gut..

just nylon.. even looks like nylon..

my 2 cents..

phamster

03-07-2008, 09:46 AM
If you use it as a cross or string for a customer, then fine, but not for yourself.

i got a reel of it, would never put it in any of my rackets though. i give it to customers and they dont complain about it (though they know pretty much nothing about strings). they reckon its got pretty decent durability and its cheap

Surely thats the worst advice ever:):)

If the string isnt good enough for you, its surely not good enough for other who are actually paying!!

dork2tennisstud
03-07-2008, 10:03 AM
Wilson Ultra is complete garbage.

Gosen Micro 16 is very similar to PSGD. It might actually be a little softer, though may not hold tension quite as well. I like it in a hybrid as the cross string.

jazar
03-07-2008, 12:06 PM

If the string isnt good enough for you, its surely not good enough for other who are actually paying!!

i dont go all out to recommend it to customers, but if they pick it then i put it in their racket. the string isnt good enough for me as i'm very particular about my strings and i'm also generally a much better player than the people i string for

Azzurri
03-07-2008, 02:55 PM

Is it?:) Most people don't know anything about string and could care less about it. As longas its strung and cheap. I know 5.0 players that use Wilson Extreme and Ultra because its cheap. They could care less what string they use. To them poly is poly, gut is gut and everything else is the same.

If anyone is concerned about string, then they ask what is placed in their racquet, if they don't care, what is the difference? I know places that provide string jobs for $10 and that includes a cheap, cheap nylon, the guy gets repeat custmoers all the time. The advice is not bad or good based on your iopinion, but if the person wants to take it its up to him.:)

njjohan
04-09-2008, 08:36 AM
lol i was wondering why it was the cheapest string in the shop

Stannie
04-09-2008, 12:17 PM
Wilson Ultra Synthetic Gut was the first reel that I ever bought. It's good for personal string jobs. =P

njjohan
04-19-2008, 11:54 AM
well my pure drive had survived two years of stock string, but was starting to play funny, so i picked up some ultra up dirt cheap, which my coach kindly put in for me. admittedly i spent the whole of last week playing with my hybrid shark, strung with razor spin, but after getting my pure drive back, it was like being in heaven. I could not hit a ball out, which is not to say that i couldn't hit it hard. I guess I should come back after a few weeks, but so far i'm on cloud nine.

aussie
04-19-2008, 07:24 PM
Wilson Ultra syn gut is a cheap, basic nylon. For recreational players, it's fine and I use it for those types of players and they are happy. Wilson Extreme syn gut on the other hand, particularly in 17 gauge, is a very nice string and compares very closely to Prince syn gut original in all aspects other than price where it is cheaper. For $3.50 a set from TW the Wilson Extreme is a very good buy.

oiler90
02-22-2009, 04:21 PM
previous post was referencing a "cheap nylon" as not worthy of being called "synthetic gut". String is called synthetic gut by how its made, not the quality, although a string made in the manner of gut tends to be of higher quality. I know, confusing.