PDA

View Full Version : Speedport Red w/o the dampener

TravelinMan
03-06-2008, 03:55 PM
Does anyone play their SP Red without the dampener installed? I ask because I demoed an SP Red today and the dampener kept sliding up the strings as I hit, which changed the feel with each stroke. I was also not impressed with the control, especially on serves. So I took the dampener out and wow, this racquet came alive. OK so maybe is was all in my head but power and control increased dramatically. It was a completely different feel (I liked it). Volleys were crisp and groundies went where I wanted. I never play without a small dampener because I hate that ping sound but the SP Red still had a nice thump when hitting.

So is it me or anyone else have a similar experience.

satchman
03-06-2008, 06:53 PM
I have an o3 blue and never used the Prince "P" dampener that came with the o3 because it falls off easily and cannot be replaced!

So I got a Prince NXG Tour dampener ala Jankovic and that seems to work.

NLBwell
03-06-2008, 08:16 PM
I don't believe in dampeners - takes the feel of the strings away without really taking the vibration of the racket away.

TravelinMan
03-07-2008, 05:59 AM
I don't believe in dampeners - takes the feel of the strings away without really taking the vibration of the racket away.

Agreed with the SP Red. Without the dampener their was no added vibration but the racquet had a much more crisp feel. I will try this with my SP Black this weekend to see if their are similar effects. I had played once without the dampener in my SP Tour but it had a very tinney sound that drove me nuts.

So is the added feel and better sound unique to the SP Red.