PDA

View Full Version : Tension Loss

Crisp
03-06-2008, 05:23 PM
What is the accepted amount of tension loss on a new restring during your first use. This is when using a synthetic gut string eg. Wilson Stamina. My guess would be aroung 10% assuming you hit for 30mins or more is this correct???

Breakaz54z
03-06-2008, 09:11 PM
IMO i think it's when you start to notice tension loss or something feels different in your strings. as said elsewhere, most rec players can't tell the difference in tension until 10+ lbs, pros can tell within 2 lbs. i dunno what your lvl is but it's all up to you. I restring when the tension is noticeably different or if the strings move like crazy. 10% might not be a huge difference. Hope that helps.

old coach
03-07-2008, 03:11 AM
With some strings you can loose 10% tension even before you starting to hit, something like overnight or so. That's why Iso-Speed recommend to increase tension to insure a minimum tension lose overnight.

YULitle
03-07-2008, 05:38 AM
While there are techniques the stringer can use to help prevent tension loss, it is still an inevitability. To the question at hand, I think that before we decide what an acceptable amount of tension loss for any given string is, we need to have some accurate way of measuring the tension (which we don't.) We DO have ways of measuring the string-bed stiffness. This seems the more logical way to test, as you don't feel the tension in the strings, but rather the string-bed stiffness. Obviously those two are connected, but you get the point.

When I was working at the shop before my last one, we discussed a demo checking system, where by we would restring demos if their RDC value (related to SBS) was below a certain percentage of it's initial. While this sounds like a good idea, it quickly became unmanageable. The strings needed replacing far more often than we anticipated. And what's worse, is they didn't really seem like they needed it. We just went by what the RDC said.

So, instead of trying to determine when to restring using technical methods. We made it a playability issue, solely based on feel. This seems to be the best method, because not all strings drop tension as fast as others. And, even if they do it doesn't matter, sometimes.