PDA

View Full Version : Sppp Vs. Big Ace

kfactor/all/the/WAY!
03-06-2008, 07:53 PM
i am going to get more strings and am wondering which of the two would u recomend. i am going to get the big ace at 1.22 and the sppp( signum pro poly plasma) at the 1.23. so far i have tried the big ace at 1.25 but i have never tried sppp. i put them at 58+, and i am an all courter. would like to know the key differences and some strengths and weaknesses.

Thanks>

jonolau
03-06-2008, 09:43 PM
If you're doing your own stringing, SPPP might spring a few nasty surprises. There has been lots of discussion about SPPP snapping prematurely and I was one of the unfortunate victims whilst stringing and playing. On several occasions, I snapped a few sets of SPPP whilst tensioning and it boiled down to the string - same thing for a few other posters here. Do a search for those threads.

Also had some customers have SPPP snap at the head grommets upon first few hits even though it was strung and tensioned correctly (ie. no kinking whilst stringing). I had to replace the string job for free on those occasions.

So far never had that problem with Pro Supex strings.

If you want an alternative to SPPP, you can take a look at Premier Ace. It is also a nice orange string that feels and plays like SPPP. I've replaced SPPP with Premier Ace for my customers who want SPPP.

str33t
03-06-2008, 09:48 PM
If you're doing your own stringing, SPPP might spring a few nasty surprises. There has been lots of discussion about SPPP snapping prematurely and I was one of the unfortunate victims whilst stringing and playing. On several occasions, I snapped a few sets of SPPP whilst tensioning and it boiled down to the string - same thing for a few other posters here. Do a search for those threads.

What jonolau mentioned has happened to me. It was pretty frustrating. I was stringing up some SPPP in the mains and it snapped while I was tensioning. I thought I probably kinked the string or something so I tried again. I finished the string job and was happy to have finished it without any problems. I go out the next day optimistic and ready to play with my newly strung racquet. To my disappointment, it snaps at the top of the head after about 10 minutes of warm-up hitting.

jonolau
03-06-2008, 09:59 PM
What jonolau mentioned has happened to me. It was pretty frustrating. I was stringing up some SPPP in the mains and it snapped while I was tensioning. I thought I probably kinked the string or something so I tried again. I finished the string job and was happy to have finished it without any problems. I go out the next day optimistic and ready to play with my newly strung racquet. To my disappointment, it snaps at the top of the head after about 10 minutes of warm-up hitting.

On one particular frame, I had the string break 6 times at the exact same grommet whilst tensioning. I ended wasting 6 half sets.

BigGriff
03-07-2008, 02:28 AM
You can't go wrong with Big Ace.

nickb
03-07-2008, 05:58 AM
Ive never had a problem with SPPP snapping and ive strung loads of it...

Nick

jcstennis
03-07-2008, 06:29 AM
The BA 1.22 for me generates or helps in the power dept as compared to SPPP 1.23. SPPP was the first poly i used as a full job. it has good string bed feel but the bed will "hit the wall", in other words it doesn't stretch or react like a good multi/gut... when it hits the wall, it has a plastic like feel. SPPP has good control and does not move much....

if i was playing a K95, i would play BA. I have had BA in my PSC 6.1's and loved it. BA 1.22 as compared to the 1.25 is a bit more livelier. i like the 1,25 as a fj and like to put the 1.22 in hybrids. the BA just overall has a better quality feel than the SPPP. it holds up better, is more predictable.... i think the 1.22 BA would be a nice set up in the K95. SPPP would fatigue or tire the K, meaning, to get what you would from the BA, the SPPP would take more effort to do the same (generate power, spin, etc)... i'm not bashing SPPP or SPPP lovers it is a good string, but BA characteristics are different and superior.

phamster
03-07-2008, 06:41 AM
If you want an alternative to SPPP, you can take a look at Premier Ace. It is also a nice orange string that feels and plays like SPPP. I've replaced SPPP with Premier Ace for my customers who want SPPP.

Really? Premier Ace is like the SPPP? i had a half set in my stick and i liked it.. i think i will get a reel of Premier ACE too !!!

Gosh by the end i am going to have Reels of too many kinds..

i guess that is just the engineer type in me, got to have everything and try out every thing..

good thing tennis isn't as expensive as golf is... one club is average over 200 bucks.. one putter is average of 160 bucks.. set of irons 600 bucks.. crazy

tennis much better !!!

jonolau
03-07-2008, 07:10 AM
Really? Premier Ace is like the SPPP? i had a half set in my stick and i liked it.. i think i will get a reel of Premier ACE too !!!

Gosh by the end i am going to have Reels of too many kinds..

i guess that is just the engineer type in me, got to have everything and try out every thing..

good thing tennis isn't as expensive as golf is... one club is average over 200 bucks.. one putter is average of 160 bucks.. set of irons 600 bucks.. crazy

tennis much better !!!
That's precisely why I'm playing more tennis than golf! I've not got too many sets collecting dust at home. But I'll take them with me when I travel to try out foreign courses! I used to have 5 drivers at one stage, and my favourite was the Mellow Yellow!

Now I've probably got 20 different reels, not counting repeats. <SIGH>, it's an addiction. :(

jonolau
03-07-2008, 07:11 AM

Nick

Nick, count yourself lucky! :)

phamster
03-07-2008, 07:30 AM
That's precisely why I'm playing more tennis than golf! I've not got too many sets collecting dust at home. But I'll take them with me when I travel to try out foreign courses! I used to have 5 drivers at one stage, and my favourite was the Mellow Yellow!

Now I've probably got 20 different reels, not counting repeats. <SIGH>, it's an addiction. :(

Mellow yellow.. was made by Bang Golf.. my friend and i had that head..

BANG golf made some of the best heads in golf.. i think they also have won some long drive contest recently too.. with a good shaft and Mellow head, you are going to love it..

i did have an issue with the mellow yellow.. the face was too polished.. and on a wet day. the ball would do some weird things.. but on dry days.. it was super..

i played college golf on scholarship too, and enjoyed golf but recently going back to tennis is much more fun..

phamster

jonolau
03-07-2008, 09:00 AM
Mellow yellow.. was made by Bang Golf.. my friend and i had that head..

BANG golf made some of the best heads in golf.. i think they also have won some long drive contest recently too.. with a good shaft and Mellow head, you are going to love it..

i did have an issue with the mellow yellow.. the face was too polished.. and on a wet day. the ball would do some weird things.. but on dry days.. it was super..

i played college golf on scholarship too, and enjoyed golf but recently going back to tennis is much more fun..

phamster
That's the one! Boy, it brings back lots of good memories ... but also the frustrating ones. I remember when I got the Mellow Yellow, I threw all caution to the wind and tried to let rip massive drives at the range. My golf went downhill for quite a while as I'd ended up morphing my strokes into an unrecognizable monster.

Yup, golf can take up almost the whole day, whilst with tennis, you carry minimal equipment and courts are more accessible than courses.

Wow, your golf must definitely be great to get a scholarship. You will find that golf will help you in your career in future.

Hooooon
03-07-2008, 10:16 AM
Really? Premier Ace is like the SPPP? i had a half set in my stick and i liked it.. i think i will get a reel of Premier ACE too !!!Gosh by the end i am going to have Reels of too many kinds..

tennis much better !!!

they are not even remotely similar. PA is like an old school mono-poly (bab ballistic polymono, etc) and sppp is very unique: soft, springy, powerful on groundies.

kfactor/all/the/WAY!
03-08-2008, 10:42 AM
so no to sppp

jcstennis
03-08-2008, 12:52 PM
^^^ are you looking to hybrid or full job the set-up?

the 1.22 BA compared to your 1.25 red will be a touch different... i like them both better than SPPP (i have only used SPPP in Babolat racquets, so it worked well with them...) the BA i have used in PSC's and a K90, maybe fj one stick and hybrid the other with the 1.22 :)

miniRafa386
03-08-2008, 07:54 PM

Nick

same here....

Lloyd Barcenilla
04-07-2008, 04:13 PM
same here....

+ 1

(10 char)

PED
04-16-2008, 06:19 AM
Just played this am for the 1st time in awhile with SPPP 1.18 crossed with titan. Really nice string, not as much pop as BA but control was better. I was able to get some really good angles and spin on the backhand side. I went up to 55/57 on the tension and will likely go 56/58 next time. Really nice and smooth in the PDR. After reading Minirafa's string reviews this winter, I had to try it. I wouldn't say it's better than BA, just different.

hoodjem
04-16-2008, 07:39 AM
I tried SPPP with Forten Sweet and it was WAY TOO soft (mushy). Cut it out.

Right now I am trying SPPP with Gosen OG Sheep Micro now and it is better, that is not mushy, but still a bit on the soft (and yet kind of boardy at the same time, maybe I've got the tension too high at 59) side. Hard and muted, I am trying to loosen the tension and maybe it will gain a little pop.

Of course you may want soft. I am a crisp-string-liker.

DonBot
04-16-2008, 09:11 AM
The BA 1.22 for me generates or helps in the power dept as compared to SPPP 1.23. SPPP was the first poly i used as a full job. it has good string bed feel but the bed will "hit the wall", in other words it doesn't stretch or react like a good multi/gut... when it hits the wall, it has a plastic like feel. SPPP has good control and does not move much....

if i was playing a K95, i would play BA. I have had BA in my PSC 6.1's and loved it. BA 1.22 as compared to the 1.25 is a bit more livelier. i like the 1,25 as a fj and like to put the 1.22 in hybrids. the BA just overall has a better quality feel than the SPPP. it holds up better, is more predictable.... i think the 1.22 BA would be a nice set up in the K95. SPPP would fatigue or tire the K, meaning, to get what you would from the BA, the SPPP would take more effort to do the same (generate power, spin, etc)... i'm not bashing SPPP or SPPP lovers it is a good string, but BA characteristics are different and superior.

I have some of the 16l ba in my nsix-ones and they have that hit the wall feel you are talking about- When you really wind up on a ball it is almost jarring when you make contact. Really reminded me alot of when I used to string lux at higher tensions. But do be honest I do enjoy how it hits.

PED
04-16-2008, 01:11 PM
but still a bit on the soft (and yet kind of boardy at the same time, maybe I've got the tension too high at 59) side. Hard and muted, I am trying to loosen the tension and maybe it will gain a little pop.

I don't know what I expected on the sppp. I played at 8 this am and am doing so for the next few days. I mention this because it was fairly brisk for SC this morning at around 48 or so. I'll be curious to see how the SPPP performs when we climb back into the 80's or so. I was a little bit worried that the SPPP would be harsher than it is but so far so good. I'm curious on the 1.23 SPPP as well as I sometimes like the firmer feel from slightly thicker strings.

On a side note, I spent the morning at the family circle cup and have to admit I'm really impressed with the way the ladies strike the ball. Patty Schnyder really winds up on that lefty forehand and she was just punishing on her second serve returns. The women in general do seem to hit a flatter ball than the men: I don't mean that good or bad just as an observation. Tonight, time to see Maria!!:twisted:

PED
04-16-2008, 01:17 PM
JCS, you are ALWAYS on your game concerning your avatar, but I think the new one takes the cake: Royale with cheese!

I don't know if you've ever been to the Samuel L. Jackson soundboard, but if not, here's the link:

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/sam

rens
04-16-2008, 01:50 PM
quick question: do you prestretch big ace?

hoodjem
04-16-2008, 03:44 PM
After 12 years of play, still looking to find the sweetspot on the ps 85 !!!!!!!

Too bad about this. When you do find it, you'll know. . . and be addicted.

I was (for 15 years).

miniRafa386
04-16-2008, 05:47 PM
i have strung 100+ racquets with SPPP, never have had a problem

pr0n8r
04-16-2008, 06:57 PM
No problems with SPPP here either. Jonolao is a bit of a Pro Supex evangelist, and he's a distributor for them. Looking at his post history, it's pretty obvious he's a part of their sales team. He believes Pro Supex is a great string, and is doing everything he can to spread the word, and help create a phenomenon. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

SPPP is fine.

PED
04-16-2008, 06:59 PM
i have strung 100+ racquets with SPPP, never have had a problem

MiniR, from your sig, are you using full SPPP 1.18 now and leaving out the multi crosses? If so, how does the full sppp string bed feel compared with the hybrid?

jonolau
04-16-2008, 07:36 PM
I'm glad for those who have had no problems with SPPP. Maybe I had some faulty reels which was an issue with earlier manufacturing batches.

Dragonhorse
04-16-2008, 07:42 PM
No problems with SPPP here either. Jonolao is a bit of a Pro Supex evangelist, and he's a distributor for them. Looking at his post history, it's pretty obvious he's a part of their sales team. He believes Pro Supex is a great string, and is doing everything he can to spread the word, and help create a phenomenon. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

SPPP is fine.

Well said.

I myself have gone through 10 reels of SPPP and only snap once during stringing.

Enough said. I leave it to the people here to judge for themselves.

jcstennis
04-16-2008, 07:46 PM
I wouldn't say it's better than BA, just different.

Uh Ohhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:

watch it!

jcstennis
04-16-2008, 07:50 PM
JCS, you are ALWAYS on your game concerning your avatar, but I think the new one takes the cake: Royale with cheese!

I don't know if you've ever been to the Samuel L. Jackson soundboard, but if not, here's the link:

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/sam

:) i'll check this out.... you're always on your game supplying the best links!

J

Ljubicic for number1
04-17-2008, 12:41 AM
Ive never had a problem with SPPP breaking during stringing either, I like the performance much more than BA too.

From my experience with SPPP and Premier Ace the only similarity is the colour. Having said that, I still think Premier Ace is a good string just not similar to SPPP.

ARNICOLINI
04-17-2008, 07:00 AM
I have strung up SPPP a couple times with no issues during stringing.

However this past week I strung up some SPPP pure 1.18 and absolutely LOVED the way it felt. Imagine my dismay when it snapped half way through the 3rd set of a doubles night (and the first sets went 0-6, 6-3). It was a super windy night and I did end up catching the ball low very near the grommets. When I heard the snap I was hoping it was my vibrasorb and not the strings!

It was from a single set and not a reel, and I did hit it low on the frame. I am trying this again I liked it so much and really hoping it was a fluke hit.

My best friend plays SPPP (not the pure) in the 1.28 size and has never had an issue - stringing or playing with it snapping. I have like 5 sets in the different sizes coming from TW now - hope they arrive today or tomorrow!

We are both 4.5 level players.

PED
04-17-2008, 07:03 AM
Arni, have you ever tried the 1.23 SPPP? I'm loving the 1.18 but wonder if I'll get a little more firmness from the 1.23. I don't want to sacrifice feel and the 1.18 has feel in spades. I'm really enjoying the string so far. Was really able to get some action on the ball this am.

hoodjem
04-17-2008, 08:12 AM
SPPP is fine.

I agree: SPPP is fine. I can't find anything wrong with it.

But it just ain't my cup o' tea.
I still think it's a bit on the soft side; if you want a softer poly then this is it.

PED
04-17-2008, 02:11 PM
Hood, I agree but don't you think BA is still a little bit softer than SPPP?

nickb
04-17-2008, 02:15 PM
SPPP feels stiff to me. I get less power with SPPP than I do with Luxilon Big Banger Original or PHT. Its a muted poly but still has good feel. The great thing about SPPP is how well it holds tension...it just keeps going and going. I really like it just before it breaks!

IMO SPPP is one of the lower powered, stiffer Co-Polys.

Nick

PED
04-17-2008, 02:30 PM
Nick, what were you stringing your SPPP at? 58 or so. I like the power level, it's not too low but I can still really swing out. It works better for me than alu does. Are you liking the PHT? I used to use that last year, great string!

nickb
04-17-2008, 02:35 PM
Nick, what were you stringing your SPPP at? 58 or so. I like the power level, it's not too low but I can still really swing out. It works better for me than alu does. Are you liking the PHT? I used to use that last year, great string!

Last time it was 56lbs...I like SPPP but I couldnt get much spin on groundstrokes with it (compared to ALU). I agree its great for swinging out..I tended to hit very flat with SPPP...different strokes for different folkes eh!

I LOVE PHT!...its just got a unique feel that I really like. Spin great..everything great!

Nick

bad_call
04-17-2008, 08:16 PM
SPPP 1.18 works fine for me. decent spin and excellent control. no problems with premature snapping. i drop tension 10% and use it in the mains with a OGM or PSGD in the crosses.

DonBot
04-17-2008, 10:08 PM
Last time it was 56lbs...I like SPPP but I couldnt get much spin on groundstrokes with it (compared to ALU). I agree its great for swinging out..I tended to hit very flat with SPPP...different strokes for different folkes eh!

I LOVE PHT!...its just got a unique feel that I really like. Spin great..everything great!

Nick
Preach it!!!!!! Pht is pretty hard to top- if you like it it is hard to get used to anything else!!! But with that said I hit with my 16l big ace after letting it bleed a little tiny bit of tension out over time and if was much softer this evening- great control- exactly what I was looking for in a string for my nsix-one.

miniRafa386
04-29-2008, 02:08 PM
MiniR, from your sig, are you using full SPPP 1.18 now and leaving out the multi crosses? If so, how does the full sppp string bed feel compared with the hybrid?

i recently switched to kirschbaum strings, but when you posted this, i was using full SPPP. i liked it more as a hybrid, but it was GREAT the first set or so, then, eh... it just wasnt my cup of tea as a full set.

now im in debate whether or not to use kirschbaum P2 or pro line II. gauges ill worry about later, but its hybrided with kirschbaum touch multifibre 1.30.

OHH, btw, i havent tried it yet, but i think that SPPP and touch multifibre would be a good hybrid.

PED
04-29-2008, 02:36 PM
I like the 1.18 SPPP but need to try it in the 1.23. I like a little more firmness in the stringbed.

What's the diff b/t P2 and pro line 2. I've been thinking of trying them out. Thanks for the heads up on the sppp/touch multi combo.

Racket-Junkie
04-29-2008, 06:07 PM
I'm just glad to hear other people had the same experience with sppp. I strung up a fresh set of 1.20 hybrid with x-1 in the low 50s, played amazing... for 30 minutes, then it snapped at the throat grommet on a brand new racket.

couch
04-29-2008, 07:22 PM
I have been playing LaserFibre Kryptonite (SPPP) for the last 2-3 years (whenever it came out) and had a couple sets snap on me prematurely while playing in the beginning. I actually switched back to kevlar for a couple sets of string and switched back to kryptonite after that and haven't (knock on wood) had a problem since.

I've also been stringing it myself for the last year, year and a half, and haven't had a problem stringing it either. I think they had a bad batch or two in the beginning but seem to have fixed the problem.

That being said, I would think any poly that is miss-hit near the head or throat of a racquet is going to be put under tremendous pressure and possibly snap. Also depends on your swing speed while miss-hitting. If I remember correctly I snapped the sets on returns of serve that were hit near the throat with a fast swing on the forehand.

I would strongly recommend SPPP as it holds it's tension tremendously well. I have used PHT and would also strongly recommend it too as it also seems to hold tension well. I love Lux BB Alu too but it seems to play awesome for the first few hours and isn't nearly as good after that. And for the price of Alu I feel there are better options out there. I can't speak for all BA strings but I did try Blue Gear and didn't like it at all. It seemed very springy to me and seemed to move around a lot.

kfactor/all/the/WAY!
04-29-2008, 08:09 PM
^^^^
i have to disagree on the pht holding its tension well. This is because it is the complete opposite. worst tension holder ever. becomes dead so fast.

couch
04-29-2008, 08:58 PM
^^^^
i have to disagree on the pht holding its tension well. This is because it is the complete opposite. worst tension holder ever. becomes dead so fast.

The two times I used PHT it seemed to hold tension well until I broke my crosses. So I guess we'll agree to disagree to some extent. As I've said, SPPP to me is about the best thing going but string preferences are pretty subjective. The best way to find out is to try some. The good thing about SPPP is that it's relatively inexpensive for a great poly.