PDA

View Full Version : The storm tour s too fexy

textbook strokes
03-07-2008, 03:03 AM
Playing with this racquet is very strange, feels almost ike using a whip. You have to strike every ball with a fluid motion, otherwise you get a flimsy shot that goes anywhere but where you aimed. I feel like I have to adjust my timming to play like in slow motion even when rushed!.
I used to play with the previous version, the Control team, but it was nothing like this!.
I only played a couple of matches, so... Do you think I' ll overcome this feeling in time?. Is there a way to minimize (set up) the flexy feeling?.
Thanks in advance.

Automatix
03-07-2008, 03:09 AM
Ohhh c'mon! The PST isn't stiff but calling it too flexy means you had to play with sticks with stiffness at about 69-71...

If you think the PST is too flexy then try playing the Fischer M Pro No.1!!! :twisted:

fuzz nation
03-07-2008, 10:25 AM
I'll bet you a nickel that if you're coming from a somewhat stiffer racquet, it will take you some time to get dialed in with one that has more flex. I haven't hit with the Pure Storm Tour, but when I moved away from my old Prostaff 6.1 Classics (72 flex rating), I was lost in the woods for a little while. Basically I had to learn to go after the ball more with the softer frames because they had less pop for me, but still made plenty of spin. It took me a couple of seasons and a few different racquets, but now I'm right at home with the softer frames in my bag and I don't miss anything I had with the stiffer gear.

HeadPrestige
03-07-2008, 11:10 AM
Playing with this racquet is very strange, feels almost ike using a whip. You have to strike every ball with a fluid motion, otherwise you get a flimsy shot that goes anywhere but where you aimed. I feel like I have to adjust my timming to play like in slow motion even when rushed!.
I used to play with the previous version, the Control team, but it was nothing like this!.
I only played a couple of matches, so... Do you think I' ll overcome this feeling in time?. Is there a way to minimize (set up) the flexy feeling?.
Thanks in advance.

a large part of the lack of directional control is the woofer system. It completely disconnects the stringbed from the frame and makes almost an babolat racket unplayable to me. If the racket did not have woofer and had a 95 inch head... it would be a damn nice stick.

PED
03-07-2008, 11:24 AM
I have found that the PST is very string sensitive. I've tried out around 5 different setups before finding one that really worked. Big ace mains with syn gut crosses was really nice, but currently have AluRough mains and syn gut crosses at 52/55 and the PST is fantastic. Great power but control is still very solid. Serving is also very nice with this setup and approach shots are really fun. It does take a while to get used to. After I first got mine in October, I thought I'd made a big mistake but find a setup and tension that you like and I think you'll be happy with it.

SFrazeur
03-07-2008, 11:29 AM
Thanks in advance.

If I recall correctly the area where Pure Storm Tour flexes is where the head and the neck of the racquet meet. The problem with racquets that flex specifically below the head is that a string change does not really help.
I would suggest sticking with it for a bit longer to get more adjusted to it. If I recall correctly the sweet spot should be a little higher than on a 6.1 Prostaff-like racquet.

Yonex racquets have the problem a lot of the time. With the flex being somewhat in the middle of the racquet that means adding weight at the ends is not going to help obviously. Similarly with the PST.

-SF