PDA

View Full Version : Weighting a head heavy raquet - need advice

Guybrush
03-07-2008, 02:58 AM
Hey,

I've been reading the tennis warehouse racquet customising page:
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/Customizing/customize.html and I want to ad a little weight to my head heavy racquet.

I have a Wilson hammer 6.2 midplus in standard length (27ich) also known as the skunk ( a popular racquet in the 90's)

Not exactly sure what the official weight is for this racquet (anyone help me there?) but one source on the net claims 9.2oz unstrung (260.8g).

My main aim is to add weight for torsion stability and to create a more head light racquet.

1) My first question is how many grams should I add to the handle to begin with?

2) The info at the above link suggests to start with 10 grams at the 3 & 9 points of the head for torsion stability (I'm assuming this means 5g at each point) but I'm wondering if this is a bit conservative (am I going to notice it much) or would you guys suggest a bit more to begin with.

Any suggestions would be appreciated especially those who have tried this on similar types of racquets to mine.

Thanks

Guybrush
03-07-2008, 03:08 AM
Forgot to mention the balance point for this racquet (with strung with grip) is about 36cm from the butt cap, if that helps :)

Guybrush
03-07-2008, 05:20 PM
bump ... Anyone got ideas for me ?

J011yroger
03-07-2008, 05:42 PM
I would pop open the trapdoor, pack the handle with cotton, and send in a 2oz fishing weight. See if you like how that plays. Make sure you pack the handle tight with cotton so the weight doesn't rattle.

J

slice bh compliment
03-07-2008, 05:53 PM
^Aye! The pirate speaks the truth!^

If you want the cool look, slap a few grams at 3 and 9 o'clock for more of the torsional stability that stick has anyway, I think. More importantly, add some in the handle.

A testimonial that is not as good as Jo11ys suggestion but supports it:
My friend had a few skunks laying around with size 3 grips. It was one of his wife's or mother-in-law's sticks or something.

Well, with hands like a grizzly, he needed it built up three sizes, at least, which is probably at least 2 ounces. Three sleeves later, plus leather and an overgrip...and the stick felt so much better from all areas of the court, and especially when returning a hard ball. Didn't just feel better to me and him (size 6 grip guys), but also to his petite little wife.

That's really not that bad a frame, but yuou could also switch to something that comes already good, like a k90 or a Dunlop ag200 or a babolat Pure Storm Tour or something.

meowmix
03-07-2008, 06:46 PM
^Aye! The pirate speaks the truth!^

If you want the cool look, slap a few grams at 3 and 9 o'clock for more of the torsional stability that stick has anyway, I think. More importantly, add some in the handle.

A testimonial that is not as good as Jo11ys suggestion but supports it:
My friend had a few skunks laying around with size 3 grips. It was one of his wife's or mother-in-law's sticks or something.

Well, with hands like a grizzly, he needed it built up three sizes, at least, which is probably at least 2 ounces. Three sleeves later, plus leather and an overgrip...and the stick felt so much better from all areas of the court, and especially when returning a hard ball. Didn't just feel better to me and him (size 6 grip guys), but also to his petite little wife.

That's really not that bad a frame, but yuou could also switch to something that comes already good, like a k90 or a Dunlop ag200 or a babolat Pure Storm Tour or something.

You could, but you'd also have to shell out a few hundred bucks. Just stay with the skunk: it's a great racket.

P.S. My friend just recently acquired a Hammer 6.2 OS (new). His uncle bought it for him in Minnesota for 25 bucks. Do you know if this racket would be just a left over from the old days or some newly manufactured stick?

Guybrush
03-07-2008, 07:10 PM
I would have to say that would be left over stock, I think they stopped making them in 99 or 2000.

BTW fantastic find and price if he got it new.

Guybrush
03-07-2008, 07:13 PM
I would pop open the trapdoor, pack the handle with cotton, and send in a 2oz fishing weight. See if you like how that plays. Make sure you pack the handle tight with cotton so the weight doesn't rattle.

J

So you guys think 2oz huh? would it be better to put 1oz down each side of the handle to distribute weight more evenly?

J011yroger
03-07-2008, 07:23 PM
I would put it right in the buttcap.

J

Guybrush
03-07-2008, 07:31 PM
I would put it right in the buttcap.

J

I just had a look and I don't think it would fit. The sticky said pack with cotton and leave 2 inches to the end , then add weights wrapped in cotton.

Is that supposed to be the best place to add the weight (1-2 inches down the handle)?

J011yroger
03-07-2008, 07:39 PM
It is supposed to be in the middle of where your hand is. For me, that is right at the very bottom of the racquet, for some who don't hit with a finger and a half hanging off the bottom of the frame, 2 inches up is the middle of their hand.

J

PrestigeClassic
03-07-2008, 08:05 PM
With such a high amount of mass, it doesn't matter if the lead slug is even inside the hairpin or glued onto the top of the grip. Just make sure you can undo it as you progressively find your preference. For instance, you might find that it's not ideal for all of the weight to be at any one location along the handle. But yes, you'll ideally be placing near equal amounts into each hairpin side.

Guybrush
03-09-2008, 05:52 AM
cool, I get it now, middle of the hand. Thanks guys, will post back with results!

gocard
07-21-2009, 11:41 AM
hey Guybrush, just curious how your customizing went. I have a beat-up but well loved Hammer 6.2 from my earlier days that I'd be interested in making more head light. Anyone who's tinkered with making a head heavy racquet into a heavier, head light one, please chime in!