PDA

View Full Version : Where can I get tan/rust Fairway grips?

dt101
03-07-2008, 05:53 AM
Does anyone know where I can get those tan/rust color Fairway leather grips? I heard the company that made them went out of business a while back. I need those Fairway leather grips. Is there another company on the market that makes something similar or even better?

Lendl and Federer Fan
03-07-2008, 02:59 PM
Try ****, someone is selling this Fairway leather grip at lot of 10 on regular basis.

Lendl and Federer Fan
03-07-2008, 03:00 PM
pssst, e Bay auction.

Bud
03-07-2008, 03:04 PM
Try ****, someone is selling this Fairway leather grip at lot of 10 on regular basis.

Those are too short to be useful (34" x 1"). I think those were originally created for badminton or squash racquets. The ones you can get from TW are just as nice and are closer to 50" x 1".

Ljubicic for number1
03-07-2008, 03:14 PM
The auction ones are slightly short, they need a little tape to finish them at the throat. Fine for a single hander.

dt101
03-07-2008, 03:59 PM
Those are too short to be useful (34" x 1"). I think those were originally created for badminton or squash racquets. The ones you can get from TW are just as nice and are closer to 50" x 1".

You guys were right. 34" is just to short. Those fairway grips on **** are for racquetball not tennis.

So tell me more about the TW leather grips. Are they soft and are they the same color as the rust Fairway grips? I know they are very affordable, but how's the quality and performance and feel. I like the way the Faorway leather feels because I don't like to use overgrips. The Fairway grips are soft and they don't make my palms hurt or give me blisters and the rust/tan color looks perfect on them. What is the closest thing to the Fairway leather grips avaliable on the market in regards to performance, feel and overall construction? Are the TW leather calfskin?

Bud
03-07-2008, 04:04 PM
You guys were right. 34" is just to short. Those fairway grips on **** are for racquetball not tennis.

So tell me more about the TW leather grips. Are they soft and are they the same color as the rust Fairway grips? I know they are very affordable, but how's the quality and performance and feel. I like the way the Faorway leather feels because I don't like to use overgrips. The Fairway grips are soft and they don't make my palms hurt or give me blisters and the rust/tan color looks perfect on them. What is the closest thing to the Fairway leather grips avaliable on the market in regards to performance, feel and overall construction? Are the TW leather calfskin?

They are awesome. I usually go with the thinnest ones. I just ordered the thicker version but haven't tried it yet.

So far I've ordered 15 or more ( :shock: ) of the unmarked TW leather grips and love them.

psp2
03-07-2008, 04:08 PM

The shorter Fairways are/were for wood racquets.

Fairway, IMHO, has the best feel of all the leather grips I've tried. Nothing, I mean nothing can match the supple feel of Fairways. Volkl leather grips are really comfortable, but are getting harder to find.

thejuice
03-07-2008, 05:51 PM
E-mail me and I'll tell you where you can get them from brand new. FYI, they'll cost you somewhere around the $40 range per grip.

dt101
03-07-2008, 10:46 PM
E-mail me and I'll tell you where you can get them from brand new. FYI, they'll cost you somewhere around the $40 range per grip.

Can you get me a bulk discount? let say I buy maybe 6-10. How much would that cost. I found a place that is selling them but they are $36 each.

dt101
03-07-2008, 10:52 PM
They are awesome. I usually go with the thinnest ones. I just ordered the thicker version but haven't tried it yet.

So far I've ordered 15 or more ( :shock: ) of the unmarked TW leather grips and love them.

How different are they from the the Fairway? Can you sell me just one of those TW leather grips for $10 shipped? I just want to try them out before buying a bunch of them. The thing is TW charges $5 for shipping even if I buy just one grip. I think it will only cost $2 to ship to L.A through US Postal Service. Let me know.

SFrazeur
03-07-2008, 11:02 PM
How different are they from the the Fairway? Can you sell me just one of those TW leather grips for $10 shipped? I just want to try them out before buying a bunch of them. The thing is TW charges $5 for shipping even if I buy just one grip. I think it will only cost $2 to ship to L.A through US Postal Service. Let me know.

I have never used Fairway. But I do use the TW leather, 22mm x 1300mm x 1.5mm. I have used Wilson, Babolat and Gamma. TW is the only leather grip out of those that I would say has a rich supple feel to the leather. Babolat comes in a distant second. I use Yonex Super Grap black for an overgrip.

I would suggest calling TW and ask them if they can ship one to you cheaply through the post office.

-SF

dt101
03-07-2008, 11:05 PM

Fairway, IMHO, has the best feel of all the leather grips I've tried. Nothing, I mean nothing can match the supple feel of Fairways. Volkl leather grips are really comfortable, but are getting harder to find.

Is this what you were referring to?.....

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c46/therealdennisthe******/voklleathergrip.jpg

How many different types of leather grips does Volk make? Only one right?

dt101
03-07-2008, 11:07 PM
Is this what you were referring to?.....

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c46/therealdennisthe******/voklleathergrip.jpg

How many different types of leather grips does Volk make? Only one right?

Does the Volk grip come in a yellow box and a yellow head tape?

dt101
03-07-2008, 11:11 PM
I have never used Fairway. But I do use the TW leather, 22mm x 1300mm x 1.5mm. I have used Wilson, Babolat and Gamma. TW is the only leather grip out of those that I would say has a rich supple feel to the leather. Babolat comes in a distant second. I use Yonex Super Grap black for an overgrip.

I would suggest calling TW and ask them if they can ship one to you cheaply through the post office.

-SF

Cool. Thanks for the info. I might just do that. What you know about the Volk leather grip? They only make one type and it comes with a yellow tape right?

SFrazeur
03-07-2008, 11:19 PM
Cool. Thanks for the info. I might just do that. What you know about the Volk leather grip? They only make one type and it comes with a yellow tape right?

I have highlighted in blue everything in your post I know about Volk leather grips.

-SF, Blue Highlighter Extroadinare.

Ljubicic for number1
03-08-2008, 01:13 AM
I have a Head calfskin on one of my Yonex's and it feels much better than the fairways on the rest of my racquets. They are very hard to come by too though.

classic tennis
03-08-2008, 01:41 AM

They are not for badminton or squash racquets, they were for wood racquets, I got some & they fit just fine as long as you dont want a double handed grip .

Barry_92
03-08-2008, 01:48 AM
where did u get the head calf skin grips from?

Ljubicic for number1
03-08-2008, 01:56 AM
where did u get the head calf skin grips from?

They are only available to pro players and special customization shops. I just got lucky with mine.

dt101
03-08-2008, 02:22 AM
They are only available to pro players and special customization shops. I just got lucky with mine.

I think RPNY might have them. call and check.

Bud
03-08-2008, 04:55 AM
They are not for badminton or squash racquets, they were for wood racquets, I got some & they fit just fine as long as you dont want a double handed grip .

These grips are definitely too short for modern racquets and most woodies. Simply pull a stock leather grip off one of your racquets (modern or wood) and measure it... or do the math.

1st Case - I pulled a HEAD Calfskin grip (1" wide - same width as the advertised Fairways and the same bevel so you can wrap it flat) from a PT 280 (with a #4 grip) and the length is 48.5" (this includes the end tapers). The grip length on the PT measures 7.25". This HEAD leather grip was wrapped so the grip was completely flat (i.e. small overlap). The surface area of the PT 280 handle calculates to 33 sq. in. (4.5" x 7.25") and it requires a 49" piece of leather (again, it's 1" wide, like the advertised Fairways). So, it requires almost 1.4 times the surface area of the racquet handle to wrap it properly. (33 sq. in. surface area of racquet handle requires a leather grip with a surface area of approximately 46.5 sq. in. - accounting for end tapers). The difference is because of overlap, stretching (grip gets narrower and slightly longer when stretched), thickness of leather, etc.

2nd Case - I measured a Maxply Tournament woody with a 4 5/8" grip. The grip is 6.375" long. Therefore, if you do the math, the surface area is approximately 29.5" (4.625" x 6.375"). The surface area of the Fairway grip (assuming a 2" triangular taper on each end) is about 32". But, according to the empirical results of the PT 280 (i.e. using the same 1.4 multiplier), the Maxply would require a leather grip length in the 44-45" range. This makes sense since the racquet would require 1 more wrap (7.25" minus 6.375" = .875" longer handle on the PT 280) which would be about 4" of length.

These 34" x 1" Fairways would barely fit on a wood racquet (if at all). Now, if we're talking squash racquets (which Fairway does/did produce leather grips for), i'd say yes because the grips are shorter and the grip circumference is smaller.

Now, if you still think you can properly fit a 34" long x 1" wide Fairway leather grip on a modern racquet, I have 12 bridges I'd like to sell you for $150 (with BIN) :lol:

Bud
03-08-2008, 04:59 AM
BTW, what is a normal grip/handle length and circumference of a squash racquet?

Never mind... Just found it. It's not an easy number to locate :shock:

----------

It's about 3.75" (circumference).

So, if a squash handle is about 6" long the surface area would be about 22.5 sq. in.

Multiply that times 1.4 and you end up with 32" sq. in. (add 2" for tapers and the magical 34" number appears).

I think these 34" x 1" leather Fairway grips are for squash racquets :razz:

PBODY99
03-08-2008, 05:50 AM
The English source of the leather for the grips was impacted by the "Mad Cow" disease.

classic tennis
03-08-2008, 06:55 AM
These grips are definitely too short for modern racquets and most woodies. Simply pull a stock leather grip off one of your racquets (modern or wood) and measure it... or do the math.

1st Case - I pulled a HEAD Calfskin grip (1" wide - same width as the advertised Fairways and the same bevel so you can wrap it flat) from a PT 280 (with a #4 grip) and the length is 48.5" (this includes the end tapers). The grip length on the PT measures 7.25". This HEAD leather grip was wrapped so the grip was completely flat (i.e. small overlap). The surface area of the PT 280 handle calculates to 33 sq. in. (4.5" x 7.25") and it requires a 49" piece of leather (again, it's 1" wide, like the advertised Fairways). So, it requires almost 1.4 times the surface area of the racquet handle to wrap it properly. (33 sq. in. surface area of racquet handle requires a leather grip with a surface area of approximately 46.5 sq. in. - accounting for end tapers). The difference is because of overlap, stretching (grip gets narrower and slightly longer when stretched), thickness of leather, etc.

2nd Case - I measured a Maxply Tournament woody with a 4 5/8" grip. The grip is 6.375" long. Therefore, if you do the math, the surface area is approximately 29.5" (4.625" x 6.375"). The surface area of the Fairway grip (assuming a 2" triangular taper on each end) is about 32". But, according to the empirical results of the PT 280 (i.e. using the same 1.4 multiplier), the Maxply would require a leather grip length in the 44-45" range. This makes sense since the racquet would require 1 more wrap (7.25" minus 6.375" = .875" longer handle on the PT 280) which would be about 4" of length.

These 34" x 1" Fairways would barely fit on a wood racquet (if at all). Now, if we're talking squash racquets (which Fairway does/did produce leather grips for), i'd say yes because the grips are shorter and the grip circumference is smaller.

Now, if you still think you can properly fit a 34" long x 1" wide Fairway leather grip on a modern racquet, I have 12 bridges I'd like to sell you for $150 (with BIN) :lol:

Dude you are getting a little worked up about this?? They are fitted on my Fischer Vacuum Pro 90's & work fine & I am happy with them......end of story.
You just keep using what you are.

thejuice
03-08-2008, 07:23 AM
Can you get me a bulk discount? let say I buy maybe 6-10. How much would that cost. I found a place that is selling them but they are $36 each.

No, I can't get you a discount because I don't sell them. There is a guy here in Atlanta that has a shop where he sells Fairway leather grips and MANY classic frames that you can't find anymore. Like I said, his prices are high so he charges a premium.

dt101
03-08-2008, 09:03 AM
I have highlighted in blue everything in your post I know about Volk leather grips.

-SF, Blue Highlighter Extroadinare.

Are you guys sure that those Volkl leather grips are in low supply these days. I found a website that has them and they are $12 each. I went to Volkl's website and it looks like they still make them. Can I get a confirmation on this?

So those Volkl leather grips are suppose to feel very close to Fairways right? Are they a closer comparison to the fairways than the TW leather grips?

dt101
03-08-2008, 09:09 AM
No, I can't get you a discount because I don't sell them. There is a guy here in Atlanta that has a shop where he sells Fairway leather grips and MANY classic frames that you can't find anymore. Like I said, his prices are high so he charges a premium.

I know that guy. Is his name Howard? Anyway, i think I am just gonna spend my money on the TW leather grips and the Volkl leather grips. I mean $37 is not way too much for one grip.

So can anyone answer this question: is the Volkl leather grip the close you can get to the fairway leather in regards to the way it feels. Keep in mind that I do not like to use overgrips. I like how supple the Fairway grips feel and I just want something that feels just like it. So which ones should I pick the TW or the Volkl? Maybe I should buy 4 of each.

dt101
03-08-2008, 09:12 AM

Why is the Volkl leather grips getting harder to find?

max
03-08-2008, 09:13 AM
I've tried these makes of leather grips: Prince, Head, Wilson, Babolat VS, Klipper, Volkl and Fairway.

Of these, I prefer the Fairway. But there are other models out there that do just as fine a job, when all is said at the end of the day.

I have not tried the TW; I'm eager to do so based on comments on these boards. The runnerup to Fairway, for me, was Volkl.

Bud
03-08-2008, 10:02 AM
Dude you are getting a little worked up about this?? They are fitted on my Fischer Vacuum Pro 90's & work fine & I am happy with them......end of story.
You just keep using what you are.

Cool. Post a pic of them. I'd like to see what they look like.

BTW, I'm not getting worked up, I'm just stating facts. The math of putting a 34" long grip on racquets that should require grips that are 46" or more simply doesn't work.

Bud
03-08-2008, 10:03 AM
Are you guys sure that those Volkl leather grips are in low supply these days. I found a website that has them and they are $12 each. I went to Volkl's website and it looks like they still make them. Can I get a confirmation on this?

So those Volkl leather grips are suppose to feel very close to Fairways right? Are they a closer comparison to the fairways than the TW leather grips?

I've never tried the Volkl grips but the HEAD Calfskin are my favorite of all the grips I've tried. As someone else stated, they are hard to find.

Bud
03-08-2008, 10:06 AM
Hey, if anyone out there has one of these grips (Fairway - 34" x 1") that they'd like to sell, I'll buy it from you for $15.00 (shipping included).

psp2
03-08-2008, 10:21 AM
Cool. Post a pic of them. I'd like to see what they look like.

BTW, I'm not getting worked up, I'm just stating facts. The math of putting a 34" long grip on racquets that should require grips that are 46" or more simply doesn't work.

I've recently installed the so called 34" Fairways on the following racquets, all 4 3/8 grip size.

MG Prestige Pro, PS95 and a PSC4.2. All were short (as expected) to about 1/2" from reaching the top. As someone has said, vinyl finishing tape did the trick. I use a 1hbh, so the shortness doesn't matter to me at all.

dt101
03-08-2008, 03:27 PM
I've tried these makes of leather grips: Prince, Head, Wilson, Babolat VS, Klipper, Volkl and Fairway.

Of these, I prefer the Fairway. But there are other models out there that do just as fine a job, when all is said at the end of the day.

I have not tried the TW; I'm eager to do so based on comments on these boards. The runnerup to Fairway, for me, was Volkl.

Thanks Max for the info.

dt101
03-08-2008, 03:32 PM
Based on all the input I've gotten so far it appears that Volkl is the runnerup to Fairway. Which is better, Volkl leather grips or TW leather grips?

dt101
03-08-2008, 03:41 PM

-SF

SF,

I've been told that the Volkl leather grip is the closet thing to the Fairways. You said that you've tried the TW leather grips. Have you tried playing with the Volkl? If so, do you think the Volkl is better than the TW leather. Is the Volkl leather more supple than the TW leather?

SFrazeur
03-08-2008, 04:24 PM
I have never used anything Volkl.

-SF

PrestigeClassic
03-08-2008, 05:12 PM
I liked Fairway and currently prefer Völkl. Even its density/mass is up there or maybe even exceeds Fairway. Also like the handle of one frame I have with a Gamma. If deciding on a grip, just buy one of each to try? Not very difficult, is it?

As for TW leather, I've only tried the 22 x 1.3mm version and wasn't a fan of the little build-up it offered over the edge of the butt cap. Hard to hold onto the handle without straining much, and I even had a frame dive into the court on a service attempt. Besides that, I liked the feel of the leather itself. Of course, the 1.5mm version would be more in line with Fairway and might be a bit different over the edge of the butt cap.

No reason to deal with a particular mad man that sells Fairway grips unless you have some special frames more for collectible purposes. If it's the same person that comes to my mind, he has some 40x1" "Fairway" grips that were barely worth the ~$15 that I paid for mine before I got rid of them. Even those were short for many handles unless you are using small/short handles and/or little overlapping. For most players, installing a grip to anything but one's specifications (too taught or not enough; ridges too wide or too narrow) should defeat the purpose of going with a "special" grip.

dt101
03-08-2008, 06:40 PM
I liked Fairway and currently prefer Völkl. Even its density/mass is up there or maybe even exceeds Fairway. Also like the handle of one frame I have with a Gamma. If deciding on a grip, just buy one of each to try? Not very difficult, is it?

As for TW leather, I've only tried the 22 x 1.3mm version and wasn't a fan of the little build-up it offered over the edge of the butt cap. Hard to hold onto the handle without straining much, and I even had a frame dive into the court on a service attempt. Besides that, I liked the feel of the leather itself. Of course, the 1.5mm version would be more in line with Fairway and might be a bit different over the edge of the butt cap.

No reason to deal with a particular mad man that sells Fairway grips unless you have some special frames more for collectible purposes. If it's the same person that comes to my mind, he has some 40x1" "Fairway" grips that were barely worth the ~$15 that I paid for mine before I got rid of them. Even those were short for many handles unless you are using small/short handles and/or little overlapping. For most players, installing a grip to anything but one's specifications (too taught or not enough; ridges too wide or too narrow) should defeat the purpose of going with a "special" grip.

"Mad man"...LOL....you're probably right. I try all of them: babalot, TW, & Volkl.

Barry_92
03-08-2008, 07:58 PM
anybody know where to get the head calf skin grips from? besides rpny because the grip costs sumethin like 30 dollars but shipping is 40 dollars?, I need two bad for classic prestige and microgel.

dt101
03-11-2008, 09:39 PM
anybody know where to get the head calf skin grips from? besides rpny because the grip costs sumethin like 30 dollars but shipping is 40 dollars?, I need two bad for classic prestige and microgel.

Tennis ****** has them for $22

dt101
03-11-2008, 09:40 PM
tennis m*n*c* has them for $22 the last time I checked.

SFrazeur
03-11-2008, 09:56 PM
No competitor links/directions allowed, it's against the forum rules and can get you banned. No reason for that. I would suggest clicking on th little triangle and reporting your own posts.

-SF

Barry_92
03-11-2008, 10:59 PM
sorry i dont understand wats 'mnc' could u write in the name with spaces for each letter so i an understand

dt101
03-25-2008, 02:50 PM
sorry i dont understand wats 'mnc' could u write in the name with spaces for each letter so i an understand

I got only one and it feels really soft. I might return it to the seller and get a refund. Personally I like the TW thin leather. If you are interested I can sell you the Head Calfskin leather grip for $27 shipped. I have pictures. Email me at dannybruin@gmail.com

dt101
03-25-2008, 02:53 PM
I tried the Volkyl leather ($13), and bought 5 of those and the quality is really great. But it feels kind of soft and spongy. I like the way the Tennis warehouse thin leather feels, and it is really cheap, ($7.95). For that price it is really a bargain. I hope TW doesn't stop selling those leather grips.

Barry_92
03-30-2008, 11:05 PM
I got only one and it feels really soft. I might return it to the seller and get a refund. Personally I like the TW thin leather. If you are interested I can sell you the Head Calfskin leather grip for $27 shipped. I have pictures. Email me at dannybruin@gmail.com

yes il buy it off you ive sent you the email but you havent replied. does gmail stand for anything?

dt101
04-02-2008, 12:21 AM
yes il buy it off you ive sent you the email but you havent replied. does gmail stand for anything?

Oh ****. I gave you the wrong email. It is:

dannybruin03@gmail.com.

I'm sorry about that.