PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid String Set: Gut in Mains or Crosses?

bronco_mba
03-07-2008, 09:41 AM
I have been testing different natural gut/poly hybrid string set ups in my RDS001 MPs using Babolat VS and Luxilon Alu Rough. I tend to string on the high end of the tension range to optimize control. I currently have one frame strung with VS on the mains and Lux Alu Rough on the crosses; another frame is just the opposite. I can definitely feel the difference between the two set-ups.

I remember reading somewhere that tour pros are pretty evenly split on gut in the mains versus gut in the crosses. What are some of the reasons for stringing gut in the mains? Gut in the crosses? which set-up do you prefer?

bagung
03-07-2008, 01:18 PM
my partner has the exactly same set up as yours on his k-90... he loves the playability of gut in main; but he needs the durability of LUX in main....
so end up , he strung all six k-90 with LUX in main and VS team on cross....

bronco_mba
03-07-2008, 02:19 PM
I just had my third RDS001 MP strung with Lux ALU Rough on the mains and VS Touch on the crosses.

Let's keep the opinions coming!

Babb
03-07-2008, 02:22 PM
My understanding is that the natural gut in the mains will play better, while having the Luxilon in the mains gives you some decent durability. It all comes down to money, like everything else in the world... :(

nickb
03-07-2008, 02:32 PM
Id rather use the gut in the mains otherwise I feel like I have wasted my money..

Nick

rorschack
03-07-2008, 02:53 PM
Why are you guys putting natural gut on the cross if it only contributes a minute amount of playability? hello???? duh

have you tried putting a soft synth gut or decent multi on the cross? Can you tell a huge difference between those vs naty gut on cross?

fastdunn
03-07-2008, 03:11 PM
same here but some people seem to swear by nat gut crosses.

i put natural gut on mains and "play" with various crosses for fun.

i still seems to get good feel of natural gut with lower impact touch shots like volleys.

Babb
03-07-2008, 03:26 PM
Why are you guys putting natural gut on the cross if it only contributes a minute amount of playability? hello???? duh

have you tried putting a soft synth gut or decent multi on the cross? Can you tell a huge difference between those vs naty gut on cross?
Maybe Andy Roddick can explain it to you. I'm pretty sure he uses poly in the mains crossed with gut. But I agree, gut is too expensive to use as a cross. It is also too expensive for me to use in the mains as I would break it too often for my liking. I recently switched crosses from X1 Biphase to Pro Supex Synthetic Gut Titan, and I can't tell a huge difference. Cross strings definitely have a very small impact on the stringbed, or at least in my case...

maggam24
03-07-2008, 07:06 PM
I string ALU Power Rough 16L in the mains and Prince Synthetic Gut w/ Duraflex 17g in the crosses. I used to use Babolat Tonic Gut 16 in the crosses but it got expensive because the Luxilon still breaks. I'm wondering if, out of the two set-ups mentioned above--poly in mains, gut in crosses and vice versa--one gives more spin and the other better feel. If not for that why would touring pros, (Roddick was mentioned above but there are many others) for whom cost is not an issue play poly in the mains if there were not some benefit? This is a genuine quesiton not a rhetorical one because I've been pondering the question for some time. I know Federer strings gut in the mains and luxilon in the crosses and this supposedly gives more feel (as mentioned above, you get most of your feel from the mains). In any case, I'm rambling, but to pose the question again, has anyone noticed any difference in performance between the two setups, particularly related to spin potential. I can't string gut or synthetic gut in the mains because my n-code is 16X18, and I would break strings too frequently, but might try the other set-up for my Dunlop 200g if there is no difference in spin.

slice bh compliment
03-07-2008, 07:26 PM
My 2 cents:

Option #1
Gut mains and poly crosses is what I use. I'm not asking for durability. I wanted the bite, explosiveness and spin from the gut, but not too much power, so the poly crosses help with control.

Option #2
If I wanted durability, I'd go with poly mains, and I'd enjoy the gut crosses for some pop and some spin. But I tried that and the poly died after a few days, then the next day it played like crap until it broke.

I prefer option #1 because it feels awesome until the moment it breaks. Well worth the expense. So I chintz a little on other stuff, but I don't worry about a few extra bucks on quality strings, shoes and grips.