PDA

View Full Version : I want to string my own racquets, help

markwillplay
03-07-2008, 10:48 AM
What kind of stringer should I buy. I have never done it before but I really think I would like to be able to string my own racquets here at home and maybe some for others. I can usually learn things like this pretty quick. I don't want to spend tons of money for latest greatest. I just want to get a stringer that is fairly simple to learn on and that will hold up. I have no idea what to look for or buy.

YULitle
03-07-2008, 10:53 AM
markwillplay: Send me a PM and I'll try to help. :D

bronco_mba
03-07-2008, 10:54 AM
I'd also be interested in this information.

YULitle
03-07-2008, 11:11 AM
I'd also be interested in this information.

You can do the same. I have something to show the both of you that may help. :D

bronco_mba
03-07-2008, 11:17 AM
Happy to...but I'm not seeing your e-mail address to send a PM.

YULitle
03-07-2008, 11:36 AM
You should be able to click on my name and a pull down menu will appear. Click send email to YULitle. :D

bronco_mba
03-07-2008, 12:41 PM
It's not working for me. Can you send the information to mgbrown23@gmail.com?

YULitle
03-07-2008, 12:45 PM
I will gladly do so. I'd try and edit your email out though if I were you. :D

stringwalla
03-07-2008, 12:50 PM
The most important thing to have in my opinion is quality "fixed" (to the base) clamps. Avoid "floating" clamps.
You can do a fine job with drop weight tensioning with good technique. If I had to buy a machine for home use I would get a tabletop "lockout" (crank) tension head with a "fixed" clamping system.

Spend the extra, because a good quality machine can last forever and have good resale value if you give it up someday-

sruckauf
03-07-2008, 01:16 PM
I've been stringing racquets for over 15 years on the same Klippermate model. Rock solid, super cheap, and very accurate if you use it correctly.

The only downsides are that it's flying clamps (as opposed to fixed) and two mounts (instead of 4 or 6). But, those are what you spend more money on if you ever want to make a bigger business out of stringing others racquets.

Salsa_Lover
03-07-2008, 01:36 PM
I bought a Pro's Pro Challenger II from Germany for only EUR 150 and it is a great machine.

I learned to string in 2 days and now I am stringing my rackets and doing some for friends. ATW, hybrids etc.

Definetly is a great investment. Here string jobs labor costs CHF 20.- to CHF 30.-

So this machine will pay for itself on no time.

markwillplay
03-07-2008, 08:35 PM
yulitle, I have sent you a private message.

Valjean
03-08-2008, 03:51 AM
But you two know there's a whole forum devoted to stringing machines, don't you!???

Here, it's at: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23

ctdeuce
03-08-2008, 05:01 AM
Hey Yu, i'm having the same problem with PM. can you email advice on buying/stringing to thetwohig@gmail.com ? I really appreciate it!

Loco4Tennis
03-08-2008, 05:12 AM
I've been stringing racquets for over 15 years on the same Klippermate model. Rock solid, super cheap, and very accurate if you use it correctly.

The only downsides are that it's flying clamps (as opposed to fixed) and two mounts (instead of 4 or 6). But, those are what you spend more money on if you ever want to make a bigger business out of stringing others racquets.

ive also been stringing with klippermate dropweight machine, but not as long as you,
i wish klippermate would come out with a 6pt mounting system kit/upgrade for the machine i have now
i dont mind the floating clamps, they are very easy to use and keep clean, but i think the 6pt mounting system as oppose to the 2pt i have now would be a great improvement, what do you think

sruckauf
03-08-2008, 06:57 AM
^^^

For sure. That would be nice. I bet that company sells just a gaggle of those little machines, since they're dirt cheap and a great way to get into stringing your own sticks.. it would be cool if they offered a way to 'upgrade' the machines here and there.

However, I doubt they will. Due to the construction of the thing, it seems to me that Klippermate is just not in that business. It's heavy duty and solid for sure, but the foundation of design just doesn't scream 'full service setup' to me. :) Unlike say, the Alpha Pioneer.

But yeah, that would be cool.

Loco4Tennis
03-08-2008, 07:10 AM
i actually wrote the company with my inquiry
i like the fact that i can just remove the 2 pt mounting system without any major effort, a 6pt system can just slide in its place without modifaying it