PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Gosen Poly's

MomentumGT
03-07-2008, 12:38 PM
New to the poly string trend and have been using Gosen Polylon mains with OG Micro crosses. I like it but I want to hear peoples opinions on Gosen's Poly's like the polyon, ice, etc... The price is right, but am I getting what I payed for ie cheap strings? or should I pass them up and try something new like Cyber Flash, sppp, etc... Thanks for your help.

-Jon

ps. strings strung at 58lbs. on m-fil 300

Babb
03-07-2008, 02:20 PM
Unless cost is a big issue, spend a few more dollars to try out some more established polyester-based strings, like Cyberflash, SPPP, Big Ace, Silverstring, Big Hitter Blue, etc (can't think of all of them at the moment as I'm kind of in chill-out mode).

And if you don't mind paying $15 a pack, there's always Luxilon ALU Power Rough...

Out of all the polyester craze, I've only tried two and liked both of them. I liked the Luxilon BBO but found that Big Ace is close to the same but with a better price tag.

scowalters
03-07-2008, 11:18 PM
polylon ice looked cool, but it was a little too stiff and harsh for me. do NOT ever string full poly with gosen strings because that's a one-way ticket to tennis elbow land

elee3
03-07-2008, 11:34 PM
I'm using Gosen Polylon Comfort 17g right now, one with Gamma Livewire XP 16g cross and one with Gosen Micro 17g cross (both at 49lbs with a constant pull machine on a POG LB). It's the most comfortable poly I've used so far. I've only used Big Banger ALU and Gamma Zo Power before this. Gosen Polylon Comfort feels more like a semi-stiff monofilament synthetic gut then a stiff poly. I really like it. With a multifilament cross it feels really muted and with a monofilament synthetic gut it doesn't feel as comfortable but still a bit more comfortable than a full job of Wilson Stamia 16g (55lbs with a lockout machine). A bit less power and more control with the Gosen Micro 17g cross.

Overall I would say it's a really good string if you want poly durability but closer to a monofilament synthetic gut feel. Not good for people who just destory the ball and need a low powered poly. It might work for heavy hitters if they find a low power cross.

The regular Gosen Polylon from what I hear is super stiff and one of the least liked Gosen polys from what I hear. Gosen Polyon Comfort is probably going to feel very different from Gosen Polyon. Big Banger ALU supposively has a softer feel than Gosen Polylon and I do know that Gosen Polylon Comfort is way softer than Big Banger ALU.

MomentumGT
03-10-2008, 10:45 AM
Unless cost is a big issue, spend a few more dollars to try out some more established polyester-based strings, like Cyberflash, SPPP, Big Ace, Silverstring, Big Hitter Blue, etc (can't think of all of them at the moment as I'm kind of in chill-out mode).

And if you don't mind paying $15 a pack, there's always Luxilon ALU Power Rough...

Out of all the polyester craze, I've only tried two and liked both of them. I liked the Luxilon BBO but found that Big Ace is close to the same but with a better price tag.

Cost isn't a big issue for me. I've just heard numerous stories on this forum where the poly stirng just dies after only a couple of hours of hitting, hence the reason I went with the cheapo string. I normally strung my racquets at 68lbs syn gut during college but went down to 58 when I tried the Polylon. I liked the control and stiffness of the string, which allows me to hit out majority of the time, but some how I just felt there must be better poly's out there.

As far as tennis elbow goes, knock on wood, I haven't experienced that injury yet. As far as style of play I would say I'm a big hitter. I played D1 tennis for 2 seasons in college and now would consider myself a strong 5.0 with a belly. LOL. Thanks for the opinions guys and if you have any more let me have 'em.

-Jon

MomentumGT
03-10-2008, 10:50 AM
I'm using Gosen Polylon Comfort 17g right now, one with Gamma Livewire XP 16g cross and one with Gosen Micro 17g cross (both at 49lbs with a constant pull machine on a POG LB). It's the most comfortable poly I've used so far. I've only used Big Banger ALU and Gamma Zo Power before this. Gosen Polylon Comfort feels more like a semi-stiff monofilament synthetic gut then a stiff poly. I really like it. With a multifilament cross it feels really muted and with a monofilament synthetic gut it doesn't feel as comfortable but still a bit more comfortable than a full job of Wilson Stamia 16g (55lbs with a lockout machine). A bit less power and more control with the Gosen Micro 17g cross.

Overall I would say it's a really good string if you want poly durability but closer to a monofilament synthetic gut feel. Not good for people who just destory the ball and need a low powered poly. It might work for heavy hitters if they find a low power cross.

The regular Gosen Polylon from what I hear is super stiff and one of the least liked Gosen polys from what I hear. Gosen Polyon Comfort is probably going to feel very different from Gosen Polyon. Big Banger ALU supposively has a softer feel than Gosen Polylon and I do know that Gosen Polylon Comfort is way softer than Big Banger ALU.

Would you recommend the Polylon Comfort over the ALU?

-Jon

MomentumGT
03-10-2008, 10:53 AM
Muredhawks I accidentally deleted your email. Hit me up again as I'm interested.

-Jon

elee3
03-10-2008, 08:35 PM
Would you recommend the Polylon Comfort over the ALU?

-Jon

Well you sound like a big hitter, I would try ALU before Polylon Comfort if I were you. Bad thing about ALU is its playability takes a nose dive after about 3~4 hours.

0d1n
03-11-2008, 07:28 AM
Polylon SP is quite a soft poly. Pretty good power, and pretty good feel. Tension loss happens faster than SPPP for example (few poly's hold tension better than Signum though ...).