PDA

View Full Version : Basic Synthetic Strings (PSGD, OG Micro, etc.)

Babb
03-07-2008, 06:21 PM
So with all the craze about polyesters, multifilaments, and natural gut, I'd forgotten about the good old, regular synthetic strings. Full polyester could be harmful, multifilaments are too fragile, and natural gut is too expensive. So, I've decided to go back to the more basic synthetic strings.

Can anyone compare basic synthetic strings such as PSGD, OG Micro, Gamma Synthetic Gut, Head Synthetic Gut, PSG, etc...

doublefault2008
03-08-2008, 11:24 AM
I only play with the psgd on my pdr and it is a fine string. I like the pocketing feeling of it. Playability of it lasts for about a week. I've also tried the babolat super fine play and it is a great string. Tons of spin and feel but the playability only lasts me about 3 hours.

racquet_jedi
03-08-2008, 11:29 AM
I liked the feel, spin, and power of OG Micro, though after a couple weeks, it felt like it lost a lot of tension...

But, since your a string=breaker (right?), that shouldn't be a factor for you...

nickb
03-08-2008, 11:34 AM
Ive used so many strings its not funny but I always go back to syn gut!

I like PSGD, PSGO, Gosen OG, Gosen JC and Wilson Extreme...I could use any of those really...they break at around 4ish hours play for me but I dont care as they play great for that time and are very cheap.

With the price I pay for wilson extreme (reel) I can string my racket 6 times for the same price as 1 set of luxilon ALU (which goes dead really fast).

Nick

03-08-2008, 11:36 AM
Whats Wilson extreme like?

nickb
03-08-2008, 11:39 AM
Whats Wilson extreme like?

Just a good all around string imo...crisp, decent spin, good feel and not too much power..only negative is durability.

Nick

03-08-2008, 11:40 AM
Better than PSGD?

nickb
03-08-2008, 11:45 AM
Better than PSGD?

Its different...PSGD is stiffer. I would take PSGD over the extreme as its more durable.

Nick

YULitle
03-08-2008, 11:47 AM
I frequently only have how the strings feels in my hand as a basis for judgment, BUT Wilson Extreme always felt kind of cheap in my hand.

Again, that's not a playability characteristic, but it's something. :D

nickb
03-08-2008, 11:48 AM
I frequently only have how the strings feels in my hand as a basis for judgment, BUT Wilson Extreme always felt kind of cheap in my hand.

Again, that's not a playability characteristic, but it's something. :D

It looks cheap, is cheap but plays better than it looks...thats why I like it :)

Nick

YULitle
03-08-2008, 11:50 AM
It'd have to play better than it looks nick ;) :D

nickb
03-08-2008, 11:54 AM
It'd have to play better than it looks nick ;) :D

How dare you...:lol:

Babb
03-08-2008, 11:56 AM
I liked the feel, spin, and power of OG Micro, though after a couple weeks, it felt like it lost a lot of tension...

But, since your a string=breaker (right?), that shouldn't be a factor for you...
I am, but borderline. I'm not a chronic breaker, but I do break them. I'm going back to synthetics for more durability as a cross, but two weeks is a little bit too quick for me.

Babb
03-08-2008, 12:00 PM
So towards the playability side are the OG Micro and the Wilson Extreme, while PSGD is more toward durability?

Sounds like I should get reels of OG Micro or Extreme so that once I get my machine and learn I can string people's racquets more often and make more money. My customers won't have a problem with it because they think that breaking strings more often means you're a better player. It's appealing to their pride in order for me to make a profit! I'm a marketing genius. ;)

YULitle
03-08-2008, 12:07 PM
Babb: That actually works, for juniors. Most adults, in my experience, don't like breaking strings. But, of course, there are exceptions.

Babb
03-08-2008, 12:11 PM
^^^^
I will be stringing for juniors only, so I'm good for now. I only have a few adult buddies in my tennis circle and the only two string breakers out of all them string their own racquets. One of them actually strings mine too.

Kirko
03-08-2008, 12:17 PM
So with all the craze about polyesters, multifilaments, and natural gut, I'd forgotten about the good old, regular synthetic strings. Full polyester could be harmful, multifilaments are too fragile, and natural gut is too expensive. So, I've decided to go back to the more basic synthetic strings.

Can anyone compare basic synthetic strings such as PSGD, OG Micro, Gamma Synthetic Gut, Head Synthetic Gut, PSG, etc...

I've been using prince synthetic gut original (yellow) 17ga. since 1982; before that natural gut and think its great! its crisp and has decent power actually more than enough power and spin is easy also. my other fav. is gosen JC syn.gut. it might be a bit better. I see no reason to ever go back to gut or "burn" money on other strings.

YULitle
03-08-2008, 12:18 PM
I've been using prince synthetic gut original (yellow) 17ga. since 1982; before that natural gut and think its great! its crisp and has decent power actually more than enough power and spin is easy also. my other fav. is gosen JC syn.gut. it might be a bit better. I see no reason to ever go back to gut or "burn" money on other strings.

I wonder how many times the formula has changed since then. :D

Babb
03-08-2008, 12:21 PM
Also, how are the Pro Supex synthetic guts in terms of durability, playability, etc? I've only tried the Titan and find it to be much softer and *edit*-- theoretically less durable than synthetics like PSGD.

uabucks
03-08-2008, 12:41 PM
For a full synth set up I like:

gamma tnt or tnt proplus
laserfibre lasertour
klip scorcher
gosen AK pro, or super JC

tnt proplus 16g on sale is a great TW deal, gosen strings
are well priced as well

Babb
03-08-2008, 12:45 PM
^^^^
Thanks for the input. That goes for everyone who has posted here.

samtheman981
03-08-2008, 02:19 PM
do synthetics play a lot better outdoors than lets say, polys or multis? u get more pop dont u? polys feel dead outdoors and no power

Babb
03-08-2008, 03:31 PM
Um... unless you're Federer, indoor/outdoor opinions on strings are a hallucination, IMO.

nickb
03-08-2008, 03:32 PM
Um... unless you're Federer, indoor/outdoor opinions on strings are a hallucination, IMO.

I think most decent players will notice a difference....

Nick

Babb
03-08-2008, 03:40 PM
^^^^
Assuming the temperature difference is not extreme and the humidity difference is not extreme, then I really don't believe that any old decent player will notice a difference.

nickb
03-08-2008, 03:43 PM
^^^^
Assuming the temperature difference is not extreme and the humidity difference is not extreme, then I really don't believe that any old decent player will notice a difference.

What ever you say....:roll:

Babb
03-08-2008, 04:16 PM
It's just my opinion. :)