PDA

View Full Version : Is string-breaking an inherent ability?

racquet_jedi
03-07-2008, 10:20 PM
I've noticed that out of the group of my tennis friends, pretty much only one of us is a real stringbreaker...

I wonder why that is...

notujoo
03-07-2008, 10:31 PM
idk what your trying to say

Sentinel
03-07-2008, 10:33 PM
Actually its in the genes - it's a rare gift like Roddick's serve.

Most likely he hits hard with a lot of topspin.

Also prolly he uses thinner string, or syn gut.

racquet_jedi
03-07-2008, 10:36 PM
Actually its in the genes.

Most likely he hits hard with a lot of topspin.

Also prolly he uses thinner string, or syn gut.

No, he breaks synthetic gut in less than a week and he broke a full poly stringjob that he said was strung up only two weeks ago (broken string was main near the top of the head)...

Also, one of my other friends hits fairly hard and with a lot of topspin and the last time I saw him break a string was almost 6 months ago...

scowalters
03-07-2008, 11:13 PM
well, for me it's usually spin. during the tennis season i break them on my serves, but normally it's just when i rally. i don't think it's an ability. some people like to theink they break strings a lot, but they're just wasting money and shanking (mishitting), and not learning the right way to hit the ball. 2 weeks is a schedule for me with multi/syngut hybrid, but that's if I play everyday. luxilon was faster but more mishits, beause i used it when i started (i know, that's not recommended).

scowalters
03-07-2008, 11:14 PM
No, he breaks synthetic gut in less than a week and he broke a full poly stringjob that he said was strung up only two weeks ago (broken string was main near the top of the head)...

Also, one of my other friends hits fairly hard and with a lot of topspin and the last time I saw him break a string was almost 6 months ago...

does he hit with a lot of spin? what's his racquet. babolats are notorious for string breakage.

Sentinel
03-07-2008, 11:19 PM
jollyr should know best.
my partner breaks strings now and then and I think I hit a lot harder than he does.
I suspect he mishits a lot - he often sends the ball flying 5 courts away.

He does break the strings at the top of the head often.

Would someone like to comment on string breakage due to mishits. (I am not talking of good players who hit hard with spin).

nickb
03-08-2008, 03:28 AM
A week is pretty long for a syn gut if he plays all the time...I know club players over 55 that can break syn guts in under a week...some players would break it in under 30 mins...PSGD lasts me 4hrs.

Nick

raiden031
03-08-2008, 03:55 AM
I've been a string breaker virtually from the moment I started playing tennis. I broke the strings on my first racquet ($30 walmart) in probably a month or two. I think its definitely caused by brushing up on the ball when hitting topspin when swinging hard at the ball. I am not sure how often a good player should break strings, but I am aware that I often don't hit through the ball enough so I often hit those topspin groundies that land short but really kick off the ground when they bounce.

Loco4Tennis
03-08-2008, 04:53 AM
their is a youtube video about this guy who tests technifiber strigns, his whole job is to break strings as quickly as possible
he stated that you need to spin hard and hit hard in order to break string, he is a tennis pro or was one at one time
but this guy i think is nicknamed "the machine", records how many shoots it takes him to break a string
i think he breaks one in like 100 hits/shoots
ive been trying to break strings myself, but i guess i dont hit hard enough and/or spin hard enough for my strings to pop when i want them too, even on practise sessions when i wenmt out there to break one on purpose, no intentionally but rather while playing and putting as much of the combo mentioned above into practise, and yet all my hard hitting and excessive spin did not break 16g strings
some people also touched upon the fact that some racquets break strings more often and are usually the more spin friendly ones, provably why the babolats where mentioned,
spin friendly racquets, usually ones with big open patterns that allow for greater topspin play will have looser strings that rub up on each other more than closed pattern racquets, in that case, i suspect, the spin racquet will pop more frequenttly then others
i am wondering now whether or not people with small racquet head sizes would pop strings more then larger frame racquets, such as the 110 most non pros use
the video i mentioned said no, that a larger 110 racquet will pop more, but if i pick up a 95" head racquet, i am going to be misshitting more and put more stress on the string, in which case IMO the opposite would be true

raiden031
03-08-2008, 05:03 AM
some people also hit upon the fact that some racquets are more spin friendly then others, provably why the babolats where mentioned,
spin friendly racquets, usually ones with big open patterns that allow for greater topspin play will have loose strings that rub up on each other more than closed pattern racquets, in that case, i suspect, the spin racquet will pop more frequenttly then others
i am wondering now whether or not people with small racquet head sizes would pop strings more then larger frame racquets, such as the 110 most non pros use
the video i mentioned said no, that a larger 110 racquet will pop more, but if i pick up a 95" head racquet, i am going to be misshitting more

I started off with 115" headsize and then purchased the 92" 18x20 Prince NXG (very dense) and also 93" 14x18 Prince POG (very open), followed by two Prince Mid+ racquets that are 16x18. All of which seemed to break strings equally regardless of the different string patterns and head sizes. I think its all about technique and maybe string quality. I use cheap synthetic gut strings anywhere from 15L to 17 and I don't know how durable these strings are compared to other kinds of string.

Loco4Tennis
03-08-2008, 05:31 AM
I started off with 115" headsize and then purchased the 92" 18x20 Prince NXG (very dense) and also 93" 14x18 Prince POG (very open), followed by two Prince Mid+ racquets that are 16x18. All of which seemed to break strings equally regardless of the different string patterns and head sizes. I think its all about technique and maybe string quality. I use cheap synthetic gut strings anywhere from 15L to 17 and I don't know how durable these strings are compared to other kinds of string.

good point, string quality is also another factor
this topic is discussed alot here and since ive been here i have seen several other factors come into play as well, such as
temperature you play in, hot/cold/dry/wet
condition of strings and how they are maintained
the tennis balls you use, new/old
the hitting partner you play agains, is a big one also

above are some of the many factors that could aid in breaking strings, but like you menitoned above, some of the basic factors need to be there, such as spin and power, such as when you said you hit with lots of spin and sometimes the ball would jump high because of it, that would be a good explenation to me to the amount of spin your putting on the ball, factor in a couple of the things i mentioned above and you have your medisine for disaster and/or string breaking :-)
its interesting though how you said you broke strings 15Lgg and 17gg at the same rate,, but hey, if you can show us how you do this, then fill us in, i feel bad everytime i have to cut off the strings on my racquet, i would rather replace them as ai broke them

raiden031
03-08-2008, 07:31 AM
its interesting though how you said you broke strings 15Lgg and 17gg at the same rate,, but hey, if you can show us how you do this, then fill us in, i feel bad everytime i have to cut off the strings on my racquet, i would rather replace them as ai broke them

Actually the 17gg goes alot faster than the 15L. What I meant to say was that the racquet I use doesn't seem to matter. I can't play with 17 anymore because of how quickly it breaks. Nowadays I play with 16 because it feels better than the 15L but is more durable than the 17.

Loco4Tennis
03-08-2008, 07:36 AM
Actually the 17gg goes alot faster than the 15L. What I meant to say was that the racquet I use doesn't seem to matter. I can't play with 17 anymore because of how quickly it breaks. Nowadays I play with 16 because it feels better than the 15L but is more durable than the 17.

ah ok, thats about what i would expect to happen
i heard that their are 18g poly strings, i wanna see if i can find some to try out, that should be crazy spin on the ball with the added strenght of a poly

BounceHitBounceHit
03-08-2008, 08:22 AM
I've noticed that out of the group of my tennis friends, pretty much only one of us is a real stringbreaker...

I wonder why that is...

More like an inherent curse..........gets expensive and it's a hassle too. CC