PDA

View Full Version : St. Vincent???????

Tour90
12-29-2004, 09:01 PM
I was on **** going through the completed listings for the Wilson Prostaff and ran across this:

http://cgi.*********/ws/****ISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7123144219&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

I was wondering if this was a St. Vincent. You can clearly tell that there were two stickers inside of the throat stating the tension and grip size along with the weight of the racquet unstrung. It also says midsize on both sides of the throat if you look carefully. What other characteristics should you look after when buying a St. Vincent???

Whoever got this for $80 got a deal if it is a St. Vincent.

devilish_duke
12-29-2004, 09:05 PM
Yeah, i saw the same listing a few minutes before. I know st. vincents for for hundreds, but how much would one this beat up go for if it were listed as such?

Tour90
12-29-2004, 09:12 PM
the racquet actually looks like it's in decent condition aside from the few scuffs on the head, that's why i'm so irritated that I didn't bid because i didn't know if it was a st. vincent. somebody got a steal

Ray Wong
12-30-2004, 12:26 AM
I have seen SV before, it's so hard to identify that is SV through the photo, it maybe Chicago, SV & earlier Taiwan, all of them with similar graphic, mainly characteristic is "PRO STAFF" and no 6.0 after. But according the close up pic. of throat, the paint is so smooth, I remember the paint on SV was rude and the graphic like a sticker stick on. Also, someone on the board said that there are red paint underneath.

PrestigeClassic
12-30-2004, 01:18 AM
It is not a Taiwan. It is either a River Grove, Illinois, or a St. Vincent. But it's probably a River Grove because it has the older throat grommets that curve more. Also, as Ray mentioned, the paint is slightly more shiny than a typical St. Vincent; River Grove models, in comparison to St. Vincent models, had paint that was anywhere from slightly more shiny to very shiny, almost as shiny as Taiwan models.

drakulie
12-30-2004, 12:34 PM
Agree with prestigeclassic. It is definitely not a Taiwan, or any other later version. It has no bumperguard, and the stickers inside the throat, along with the rounded grommets at the throat would make it either a chicago, or very early st. vincent model.

tandayu
12-30-2004, 05:44 PM
Prestige Classic and Drakulie, both of you are amazing!! I looked at that listing many times, and still missed your points.

In general:
Is there any 3 letter codes on Chicago version?

Is there an "r" next to the "W" on buttcap of all St Vincent?

PrestigeClassic
12-30-2004, 10:05 PM
I've found that a common code on a River Grove model is GUI. The one I have now has a code GRI. See a pattern? :) Actually, I just thought of it: GRI is nice short-hand of River Grove, Illinois. Like my JK Staff Staff that has KRQ; then I've seen a late St. Vincent Pro Staff from around the same time period with KTQ. It might seem that Wilson picked the first two letters and then change the second letter to correspond with time somehow. ???

The registered trademark symbol is one thing I've never bothered really noticing. But I think it is not present on all St. Vincent models. Some have it, some don't. The one St. Vincent that I own doesn't have it. I think it was added later or something? I don't know whether Sampras' late St. Vincents had it..

Sometimes, the best way to tell a St. Vincent is a sticker on the butt cap that says "St. Vincent." haha.

drakulie
12-31-2004, 07:46 AM
Again, agree with prestige. I know the trademark symbol is a later addition to the St. Vincents. The earliest St. Vincents, and Chicago do not have the trademarks next to the "W" on the butt cap.

tandayu
12-31-2004, 03:44 PM
I want to know the reverse way now. Anybody now how the earliest taiwanese version looks (the one superceeded the St Vincent) like?

- Code on butt cap has no "Q"?
- String recommendation?
- Sticker or ..... on inside throat?
- Bumper guard?
- I do not think they say "midsize" on both sides
- butt cap?
- "Pro Staff" in all capital letter, or only "P" and "S" in capital?
- More shiny finish on racket surface?
- Grommet more shiny?
- Mold same as St Vincent?
- Heavier?
- Braided graphite?
- Others?

PrestigeClassic
01-01-2005, 11:13 PM
Pretty much all Taiwan frames are the same. Perhaps along the way Wilson change to a more current hologram like that they have now.

1.) No "Q."
2.) 50-60 pounds, painted on, just like late St. Vincent.
3.) Only stickers should be grip size sticker (maybe a clear round sticker like Wilson still has now?) and probably a hologram. Hologram was added on late, late St. Vincent, I think, unless someone stuck them on later.
4.) Yes. Same grommets as St. Vincent.
5.) You're right. They have the same paint as the St. Vincent but much more shiny.
6.) ?
7.) See 5.).
8.) See 5.).
9.) See 4.).
10.) Maybe. At least the same mold from before the St. Vincent got worn-out.
11.) I don't know.
12.) Saved the most important question for last, huh? The Taiwan is the only one with unidirectional graphite, not braided. Says so in the 6.0 85 review where the old Wilson person talks.
13.) That's about it. The best way to tell from a picture whether it's a Taiwan is the shiny paint. On closer inspection, the white words along the inner/outer throat won't look like decals. To give you a clue, butt cap code sometimes starts with "S." Since it's at least from the 1990's, you could ask Wilson off their Web site about a particular code and they'll tell you where and the month in which the frame was made.