PDA

View Full Version : how to add weight on a racquet

paradise597
03-08-2008, 10:22 AM
hi!
i have a prince speedport black and it's a little light for me.
I want to add weight but don't want it to be a head heavy racquet so how would i be able to add the weight?
I looked at the tennis warehouse customization but am not willing to spend so much money buying the things i need to add weight in the grip like a staple gun and stuff...

there's also this section that says Increasing Weight Without Changing Balance and that's exactly what i want but does it actually work?

thanks for your help!

here's the site http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/Customizing/customize.html

paradise597
03-08-2008, 10:29 AM
oh and i forgot to write that i wanted the grip to be heavier though not where the throat is but if there's a way to have overall weight with a little more weight around the grip that'll be great.
And can you put pieces of lead tape on the grip and then wrap it with an overgrip? and maybe also on the throat at six o clock like the balance thing said? or is the throat lead tape just gonna be overall weight with a little more grip weight that i can still have the same abilities of the speedport?

thanks again!

PED
03-08-2008, 10:30 AM
You can easily add lead tape directly to the handle without a glue gun or anything else. You place the tape directly beneath the grip and you'll never know it's there from a sizing standpoint.

I would advise using the babolat brand leadtape: it cost twice as much as gamma but it weighs twice as much so you're not really paying any more. The plus is that it takes much less tape to get to your desired weight.

I have an aero cortex that weighed right around the same as your black: 11.3 and my aero was too light as well. I added 8 inches of Babolat lead tape right above the butt cap on the handle-this gave me 8 grams of added weight as the ratio is 1 gram per inch on the Bab tape. I put 3 inches at the top of the hoop to give me 3 grams up top. The stability of the racquet is much better now and the 3g in the hoop adds some hurt to your groundstrokes. My aero is a good bit more headlight now which I like but if you want to keep the balance the same, you could add the same amount of lead to both the top and bottom.

With that lead and an overgrip, my aero weighs around 11.9 which is perfect for me. Let me know if you have any more questions. I've played around with various combos of lead and that's what worked for me. I would caution against putting too much lead in the head of the black as it's plenty powerful as it is.