PDA

View Full Version : How to customize the Microgel Head Prestige Midplus

Gee
03-08-2008, 12:41 PM
After demoing the Head Microgel Prestige Mid and Midplus side by side, I came to the next conclusion:

The extra weight of the Mid felt a lot better to me only I prefer the headsize of the Midplus.

So finally I decided to order the Midplus and then customize with leather grip and lead in order to receive a similar weight/balance of the Mid.

Can anyone explain how to manage this in the best way?

toughshot
03-08-2008, 05:38 PM
leather on handle and only a tiny bit of lead tape at 9 and 3

kreative
03-08-2008, 05:39 PM
RPNY customized...lead at 12 + leather grip.

Anton
03-08-2008, 05:58 PM

Thats what I would do as well - frame is plenty stable and just needs a bit more swing weight.

But if you want even more plow-through go for lead on 10 12 and 2

quest01
03-08-2008, 06:03 PM
I usually place about 12 grams of lead at the 3 and 9 and 6 grams at the 12 o'clock position.

Anton
03-08-2008, 06:32 PM
I usually place about 12 grams of lead at the 3 and 9 and 6 grams at the 12 o'clock position.

For all rackets indiscriminately?

Prestige MP, like pro feels ever-so-slightly dead in the top half of the loop, putting lead on the circumference of the dead feeling areas, helps.

Gee
03-09-2008, 05:47 AM

What do you mean with RPNY customized?

Gee
03-09-2008, 05:56 AM
Thats what I would do as well - frame is plenty stable and just needs a bit more swing weight.

But if you want even more plow-through go for lead on 10 12 and 2

Hi Anton,
Thanks for your reply. Will I also get a similar solid, stable feel and comparable power as with the MG Mid in this way (ie. replacing with leather grip and 2-3 grams of lead on 12)? Don't I need to add weight on 3 and 9 for this?

Anton
03-09-2008, 07:57 PM
Hi Anton,
Thanks for your reply. Will I also get a similar solid, stable feel and comparable power as with the MG Mid in this way (ie. replacing with leather grip and 2-3 grams of lead on 12)? Don't I need to add weight on 3 and 9 for this?

You should - but it is tough to say because of production deviations from frame to frame of even the same racket model.

3 grams of lead is .1oz so if the frame is off by .2 oz thats 6 grams of lead right there, just to get to what another racket of the same model could be.

Gee
03-10-2008, 12:39 AM
3 grams of lead is .1oz so if the frame is off by .2 oz thats 6 grams of lead right there, just to get to what another racket of the same model could be.
I don't understand exactly this sentence.(Sorry, I 'm from the Netherlands). Can you explain this more in detail?

kabob
03-10-2008, 04:03 AM
I've got 2" of 1/4" lead at 9 and 3 o'clock (equals about 2 grams) on my Prestige Pro. It still feels a little light but plow-through and stability are immensely improved. I don't even need to use a vibration dampener. I'm going to be experimenting with more lead to help increase swingweight and overall mass to see if I can find an ideal.

Gee
03-10-2008, 04:20 AM
I've got 2" of 1/4" lead at 9 and 3 o'clock (equals about 2 grams) on my Prestige Pro. It still feels a little light but plow-through and stability are immensely improved. I don't even need to use a vibration dampener. I'm going to be experimenting with more lead to help increase swingweight and overall mass to see if I can find an ideal.
Look at this page for an online swingweight calculator: http://www.usrsa.com/store/learningcenter/lc_combinedswtbal.html

herosol
03-11-2008, 05:25 AM
uhm one question, when people refer adding lead near the handle, where exactly is that?

Gee
03-16-2008, 04:14 PM
After demoing the Head Microgel Prestige Mid and Midplus side by side, I came to the next conclusion:

The extra weight of the Mid felt a lot better to me only I prefer the headsize of the Midplus.

So finally I decided to order the Midplus and then customize with leather grip and lead in order to receive a similar weight/balance of the Mid.

Can anyone explain how to manage this in the best way?

I still don't know exactly how I should to customize the MG Midplus in order to receive the same balance, swingweight and solid feel as the MG Mid. How much lead and on what o'clock position should I add? Lately I replaced the Hydrosorb grip with a Babolat Leather grip that increased the weight with 5 grams. On the top of the frame I added a protection tape (of 3 grams) over 10-2 o'clock position.
The result of this customization is that the static weight and swingweight felt more similar to the Mid. The amount of power has been increased but not yet enough to my liking.
Unfortunely I didn't receive that plow through effect with full strokes and flat serves which I liked so much with the Mid. I also missed that solid stable feel when returning a hard serve.

Besides after these modifications my racket feels very stiff. Is this mainly due to the Leather grip? Or maybe it is due to the Pacific Poly/Gut hybrid stringbed because I am not used to poly strings?

What should I do? Maybe add some lead on 3 and 9 o'clock position for a more stable feel (and slightly more power)? Or will adding protection tape over 9-3 o'clock position also do the trick? How much grams will suffice?
Any advice will be appreciated.

Anton
03-16-2008, 05:11 PM
I still don't know exactly how I should to customize the MG Midplus in order to receive the same balance, swingweight and solid feel as the MG Mid. How much lead and on what o'clock position should I add? Lately I replaced the Hydrosorb grip with a Babolat Leather grip that increased the weight with 5 grams. On the top of the frame I added a protection tape (of 3 grams) over 10-2 o'clock position.
The result of this customization is that the static weight and swingweight felt more similar to the Mid. The amount of power has been increased but not yet enough to my liking.
Unfortunely I didn't receive that plow through effect with full strokes and flat serves which I liked so much with the Mid. I also missed that solid stable feel when returning a hard serve.

Besides after these modifications my racket feels very stiff. Is this mainly due to the Leather grip? Or maybe it is due to the Pacific Poly/Gut hybrid stringbed because I am not used to poly strings?

What should I do? Maybe add some lead on 3 and 9 o'clock position for a more stable feel (and slightly more power)? Or will adding protection tape over 9-3 o'clock position also do the trick? How much grams will suffice?
Any advice will be appreciated.

Extra weight makes the frame feel more flexy and less stiff - the stiff feeling is from your stiffer strings. Leather does increase the harshness a bit, so make sure to use a thick over grip for more comfort.

Add some more weight at 2 and 10 for more stability and plow though

Gee
03-26-2008, 06:21 AM
leather on handle and only a tiny bit of lead tape at 9 and 3
How much grams of lead did you add?

Gee
03-26-2008, 06:35 AM
Extra weight makes the frame feel more flexy and less stiff - the stiff feeling is from your stiffer strings. Leather does increase the harshness a bit, so make sure to use a thick over grip for more comfort.

Add some more weight at 2 and 10 for more stability and plow though

Last weekend I tested with the following customizations:
Replaced the Hydrosorb grip with Babolat Leather grip
Added 6 grams of lead at 10 and 2 o'clock positions (3 grams each).

The result of this is an huge increase of power, a bit too much to my liking. The overall weight of 355 grams / 12.5 oz. felt slightly too heavy that is noticable when hitting overheads. Too, flat serves tend to be too powerful and thereby many times they went out. On the other hand slice serves have good pace and placement.

What should I try next? Maybe put 3 grams each at 3 and 9 o'clock position (in stead of at 10 and 2)?

Gee
03-31-2008, 02:26 PM
Last weekend I tested with the following customizations:
Replaced the Hydrosorb grip with Babolat Leather grip (with an overgrip of about 5 grams)
Added 6 grams of lead at 10 and 2 o'clock positions (3 grams each). According to USRSA combined swingweight calculator this setup will result to a swingweight of 319 and a static weight of 355 grams.

The result of this is an huge increase of power, a bit too much to my liking. The overall weight of 355 grams / 12.5 oz. felt slightly too heavy that is noticable when hitting overheads. Too, flat serves tend to be too powerful and thereby many times they went out. On the other hand slice serves have good pace and placement.

So I tried another setup by placing 6 grams of lead at 3 and 9 and with the hydrosorb grip (instead of the leather grip that increased the static weight by 8 grams) because I want to achieve an increased swingweight (but not above 319 as I learned from previous setup) and a little bit more power than the frame provide in stock condition.

This results into a much more manueverable frame with a swingweight of about 315 and a static weight of 347 grams. Especially my net game is now much more comfortable to me. I feel I'm quicker at playing volleys and smashes are more smoothly and effortless to hit. Furthermore my serve improved because I can generate a higher swing speed with this (lighter) setup. I hit more aces than I ever did!
My serve of returns still doesn't deliver that solid feeling of the MGP Mid but due to the lower swingweight of this setup I 'm more in time to return fast serves. How will I achieve that solid feel of the Mid? If you have an idea please let me know.

About the grip I became aware of that it felt smaller than I used to. I read that more people have the same experience with Head grips. Besides I missed the firm feeling (and also the bevels) of a leather grip.

To solve these grip issues I 'll replace the grip handle with one grip size bigger (Head uses a special click system for this so that you can change easily the grip size to another) and I 'll put a Pacific leather grip that is .2 mm thinner than Babolat leather. (Of course I use an overgrip as well).

greenfan
05-17-2008, 09:49 AM
I'm thinking of adding lead to my prestige midplus too. From what I've read I'll start with 3 grams at 10 and 2, keeping my hydrosorb overgrip. Then after some play I'll try to make some changes - if needed - to see what is better for my game...

greenfan
05-20-2008, 07:38 AM
Well, I added 6 grams of lead at 10 and 2 (3 grams each) and stayed with the same overgrip (Xtreme track) and the total weight is now 347 grams or 12,24 oz. I have to test its now to see how it plays...

jackson vile
05-20-2008, 08:04 AM
When you add lead to a prestige you have to be careful as they can end up too powerful. I would recomend a thing guage poly or at least RIP Control, to bring down the power

greenfan
05-20-2008, 08:26 AM
I use Luxilon BB Alu Power 16L at 24 kgs, so I think that 6 grams of lead won't make that big difference...

Gee
05-20-2008, 08:31 AM
When you add lead to a prestige you have to be careful as they can end up too powerful. I would recomend a thing guage poly or at least RIP Control, to bring down the power
Yes,... but it depends on where you add weight. That's why I prefer adding weight at 3 and 9 o'clock position because it doesn't increase the power too much.

Before I tried adding weight 3 grams at 2 and 10 each. With this setup my flat serves went long most times and it felt also a bit too sluggish to my taste especially at the net.

At the moment I have added 5 grams at 3 and 9 o'clock position each and replaced the original grip with Babolat leather grip. Through this my frame weight is around 358 grams and still maneuverable enough to me. I also noticed an increased pop with my strokes when I swing fast that please me well. And I think it is (still) not too powerful to me.

greenfan
05-20-2008, 09:37 AM
Gee, I haven't tested mine with the lead on, but tell me 6 grams of added weight can really make such a big difference?

Gee
05-20-2008, 01:36 PM
Gee, I haven't tested mine with the lead on, but tell me 6 grams of added weight can really make such a big difference?
When I tried this setup I noticed an reasonable increase of power and a bit more stable feel.
You can calculate what the effects 'll be when you add weight at a particular position of your frame. First you need to know the specs of your frame (according USRSA). On the website of tennis.com (http://www.tennis.com/yourgame/gear/racquetfinder/index.html) I learned the specs of Head MG Prestige MP are:
Power index: 1907
Swingweight: 304
Headsize: 98
Flex: 64

With the following formula you can calculate the new power index:

Power index = (length index * flex * headsize * swingweight) / 1000

length index: 27" = 1

For example: (1 * 64 * 98 * 304) / 1000 = 1907 (rounded up).

You can find here (http://www.racquettech.com/store/learningcenter/lc_combinedswtbal.html) an online swingweight calculator. (Read that page carefully).

When you add 6 grams at 10 and 2 o'clock position the swingweight 'll increase by 10 points and with as result of this the new power index will be:

(1 * 64 * 98 * 314) / 1000 = 1969. That is a reasonable increase in power.

greenfan
05-20-2008, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the answer Gee, but I ....hate maths!!!!
Well, I'll test it today and find out if it works for me...

greenfan
05-21-2008, 07:58 AM
Did some testing today with the new "settings". First impression is that the racket is heavier and you notice this from the time you hold it in your hands. But the feeling in the strokes is much better. More stable and better power. Racket feels very stable and solid and I love the way it plays. I haven't tried any serves yet but I think I'm gonna keep this customization

Gee
05-21-2008, 08:08 AM
Did some testing today with the new "settings". First impression is that the racket is heavier and you notice this from the time you hold it in your hands. But the feeling in the strokes is much better. More stable and better power. Racket feels very stable and solid and I love the way it plays. I haven't tried any serves yet but I think I'm gonna keep this customization
Nice to hear. Did you also add weight into the handle? And how much?

greenfan
05-21-2008, 08:25 AM
No, I didn't add anything there, still playing with an Xtreme track overgrip over the original grip....

jackson vile
05-21-2008, 12:09 PM
Yes,... but it depends on where you add weight. That's why I prefer adding weight at 3 and 9 o'clock position because it doesn't increase the power too much.

Before I tried adding weight 3 grams at 2 and 10 each. With this setup my flat serves went long most times and it felt also a bit too sluggish to my taste especially at the net.

At the moment I have added 5 grams at 3 and 9 o'clock position each and replaced the original grip with Babolat leather grip. Through this my frame weight is around 358 grams and still maneuverable enough to me. I also noticed an increased pop with my strokes when I swing fast that please me well. And I think it is (still) not too powerful to me.

Exactly and that is why you have to be careful, to be honest no matter where you put the lead you will increase the power no matter what.

You have to understand how the prestige is weighted also, with how it is weighted you end up with more power than most rackets if you were to add lead to them.

And if you know your stuff you would know that putting lead at 3 and 9 can increase power far more than at 12.

Pete Sampras' racket is a shinning example not to mention the math.

You need to take a good read of Travler's posts, before you go around critiqing people

Gee
05-21-2008, 12:48 PM
Exactly and that is why you have to be careful, to be honest no matter where you put the lead you will increase the power no matter what.
I agree. When adding weight the power potential increases because the swingweight 'll increase.

And if you know your stuff you would know that putting lead at 3 and 9 can increase power far more than at 12.
I just learned from the USRSA website that when adding weight at the top increases the swingweight more than adding the same amount of weight at a lower location.

Take a look at this page (http://www.usrsa.com/store/learningcenter/lc_combinedswtbal.html) for an online swingweight calculator on their website. Or don't they know their stuff?

Pete Sampras' racket is a shinning example not to mention the math.
I know he added 4-5 layers of lead strips at 3 and 9 especially for more stability with volleys. And he has the strength and technique to swing such a heavy frame. Therefore his shots are also so very powerful. Some pictures of Sampras' racket I found here (http://homepage.mac.com/gregraven/tennis/PhotoAlbum21.html).

You need to take a good read of Travler's posts, before you go around critiqing people
I will. Where can I find his thread I should read? I 'm curious. Thanks for your info.

GMN
05-22-2008, 10:43 AM
Got a head MG prestige midplus for sale if anyone interested. Bought Monday, VS Tonic Gut at 60lbs. email me at gunnarnelson@yahoo.com for more info.