PDA

View Full Version : worse technology

Ryoma Kun
12-29-2004, 09:28 PM
wilson rollers or babolat aero

ps- does anyone on the boards actually use the aerotour?

ismashall
12-29-2004, 10:16 PM
Why isn't there an option in that poll for 'Ryoma Kun?"

moosryan
12-30-2004, 08:11 AM
i hit with the early aeros. might have well been hitting with a 2x4

Ronaldo
12-30-2004, 08:31 AM
Rollers were weird, especially when a stringer showed one that jammed, go figure. Used an Aerotour Limited. Tad bit stiff but suppose if you have a fast western swing, may be awesome. Roller racquets play really soft but not sure where the ball will land.

eqtytrdr
12-30-2004, 09:05 AM
played with the aero tour +, not much feel from this racket and design hindered areodynamics when flattening out strokes for put aways.

Ronaldo
12-30-2004, 09:38 AM
Never really thought of the hindrance when serving or on overheads. So stiff you could crush the ball regardless of any hindrance. So stiff, could feel the PD flex in direct comparison. Grommets, hated them, thin, easy to break. Other than that, sweet, buttery leather grip

ClemsonTennis9
12-30-2004, 09:42 AM
how about the prince more?

USCfan
12-30-2004, 09:55 AM
I agree that the aero racquets were terrible. The new Aeropro Control, on the other hand, is awesome.

raven5288
12-30-2004, 11:41 AM
more tech and air handle.

Steve Huff
12-30-2004, 10:03 PM
The Blackburne Double Strung has the least needed technology made for rackets. You don't really need 2 string planes, and it sure makes stringing it more difficult. Wilson wasn't the first to use Rollers anyway. Either the Aldila Cannon or the Tony Trabert rackets (both early graphites) used a type of rollers instead of grommeted holes.

K!ck5w3rvE
12-31-2004, 09:08 PM
wilson rollers or babolat aero

ps- does anyone on the boards actually use the aerotour?

No but there will be millions using the AeroPro Drive.

ismashall
01-01-2005, 01:47 AM
My vote is for "Ryoma Kun."

Stormwolf
01-01-2005, 03:03 PM
intellifibers/liquidmetal/titanium/hypercarbon/nanotech/more/

^^^

That is the worst technology :D

NoBadMojo
01-01-2005, 03:11 PM
How about the Head Chipsystem? you know..the frame with a computer chip in it? gimme a break.....next they will incorporate a mobile phone, pda, and toaster into a tennis racquet..you can return phone calls and also make lunch with your racquet on changeoevers.....to me, any of the stuff Head comes up with is pretty useless technology...

Stormwolf
01-01-2005, 04:08 PM
*LOL* - phone / toaster..that's pretty funny. You need a mike in the handle and special speaker strings. I think it can be done :D

hummer23
01-01-2005, 04:11 PM
if you guys are so anti technological advances . . .do you think wooden racquets were better? do you think youd play as good as you do now? also, one really good technology is babolats coating on natural gut, all the otehr companies have similar coatings now, and its a great idea that makes gut logical and somewhat cost effective to use.

NoBadMojo
01-01-2005, 04:12 PM
there you go....incorporate a mr microphone into the butt cap and you can shout out the score on every point and really annoy your opponent............

Alley Cat
01-01-2005, 05:19 PM
Yeah! Those LM Prestiges and Radicals are the worst! :)

Brian Purdie
01-02-2005, 12:52 PM
Yes, I recall the head micro chip back in 99 or 00. The theory was that there are electrical impulses created by the racket when the ball strikes the strings. As a result, the battery in the grip would be activated and, during the racket flexion, the strings of the racket bed would stiffen to counteract the force of the ball. It costs about $419 and, you're not gonna beleive this, it was a beginners model tennis racket (for those naive & new to the game).

Exci
01-03-2005, 02:38 AM
The Aero technology is not bad, the first racquets just were. Think of it: it is a proven technology after all. It did what it was supposed to do, didn't it? If you've even played with one of the Aerotours you know that racquetspeed was incredicbly easy to create. Sure there were some problems with flatter strokes, but you can't blame the Aero technology for that; blame the R&D for not thinking of that. On top of that, the sticks were just too stiff, but that had nothing to do with the Aero tech either.

The Aero technology actually works, eventhough it had to be altered in a way, and the Aero Pro Drive or Aero Pro Control are perfect examples of that.

As for grommets: nothing has actually been proven about this, so we're left in the dark. All I know is that both the rollers and the woofer system is based on the same princinple and that both technologies do have their advocates. I wonder how my PC plays without woofer though..

ps.: Can I already vote for worst poll of 2005?

tedmeister
01-09-2005, 09:38 PM
Yes, I recall the head micro chip back in 99 or 00. The theory was that there are electrical impulses created by the racket when the ball strikes the strings. As a result, the battery in the grip would be activated and, during the racket flexion, the strings of the racket bed would stiffen to counteract the force of the ball. It costs about $419 and, you're not gonna beleive this, it was a beginners model tennis racket (for those naive & new to the game).

I haven't met a stringer who liked the first generation More series from Prince. This one would definitely give the rollers a run for its money. Snapped a VS touch job once,3 sensations an excel premium and counting...and if the string survives because it is tough, then it starts to cut through the frame over time. The Head chip system, although the subject of a lot of jokes came up with a pretty decent power frame in the iX16. The first generation S18, is forgettable. Not really designed for beginners but for short stroked seniors who head figures have a lot of money stashed away after retiring. The technology makes a lot of sense but the degree of effectivity is debatable.

Goran
01-10-2005, 12:52 AM
I'd say the Head Intelligence, which is supposed to reduce frame vibration. All it does is take away feel. Why put intellifibres in a prestige when you can hit a brick with the original version and not feel any bad vibration whatsoever? Most of the 'technologies' put in new frames claim to solve problems that are easily fixed through good engineering.