PDA

View Full Version : I just don't understand Head Classic Tour

meowmix
03-08-2008, 02:23 PM
How is it that certain people on a certain auction site have what seems to be an unlimited supply of the Head Classic Tour and are able to sell it at 130 bucks a pop? Nowhere else has it! TW had it a few months back, but they've all been cleared out. Nobody on the web except this one vender has the racket in brand new condition... Anybody know why?

P.S. the vender is the guy racket (reverse em and no space)

mattyc
03-08-2008, 02:45 PM
they r fake

nickb
03-08-2008, 02:49 PM
Racketguy is a established seller...I have bought PS85's from him.

They are not fake its just he has a load left in stock just like the HPS, PS, and other classic rackets.

Nick

meowmix
03-08-2008, 03:58 PM
Racketguy is a established seller...I have bought PS85's from him.

They are not fake its just he has a load left in stock just like the HPS, PS, and other classic rackets.

Nick

Yeah, I trust the guy too. I just don't know how he was smart enough to stock up on these rackets that everybody loves....

He was selling the PC 600 on there a while back too. 160 a pop new. Not bad considering that another is now selling for over 300 bucks...:(

jasonchu
03-08-2008, 04:13 PM
How is it that certain people on a certain auction site have what seems to be an unlimited supply of the Head Classic Tour and are able to sell it at 130 bucks a pop? Nowhere else has it! TW had it a few months back, but they've all been cleared out. Nobody on the web except this one vender has the racket in brand new condition... Anybody know why?

P.S. the vender is the guy racket (reverse em and no space)

please note.... the ones he has are MidPlus which have a very different play characteristic from the Mid ... the majority of following (cult) that I see if for the PC 600 not 660.

dt101
03-08-2008, 10:47 PM
please note.... the ones he has are MidPlus which have a very different play characteristic from the Mid ... the majority of following (cult) that I see if for the PC 600 not 660.

You are 100% correct. Plus some of them are not "Made in Austria" versions. The ones that say "Designed in Austria" are not that great. The ones that say "Made in Austria" is the real deal and are solid and smooth and just feel like heaven. There is a whole thread about it.

meowmix
03-09-2008, 08:43 AM
You are 100% correct. Plus some of them are not "Made in Austria" versions. The ones that say "Designed in Austria" are not that great. The ones that say "Made in Austria" is the real deal and are solid and smooth and just feel like heaven. There is a whole thread about it.

Thing is, the ones he's selling are the ones made in austria...

vsbabolat
03-09-2008, 09:25 AM

The Prestige Classic 600, Prestige Tour 600, Prestige Tour 660, and Classic Midplus that say "Designed in Austria" were all manufactured in Austria and finished in the Czech Republic.

meowmix
03-09-2008, 10:03 AM
So I take it only the ones with a suspension grip were made in austria?

vsbabolat
03-09-2008, 10:33 AM
So I take it only the ones with a suspension grip were made in austria?

The Prestige Classic 600, Prestige Tour 600 (Suspension Grip), Prestige Tour 660 (Suspension Grip), and Classic Midplus that say "Designed in Austria" were all still manufactured in Austria but were finished in the Czech Republic (painted had the pallets, butt-cap, grip and grommets put on the racquets).

Jack & Coke
04-14-2008, 07:47 AM
Racketguy's item description says:

"These racquets are made in Austria to Head's strict quality control."

OnyxZ28
04-14-2008, 07:54 AM
Pop some FXP Prestige Team CAPS on the Classic Tour and you've got a beast.

hyogen
04-14-2008, 07:57 AM

I've only played with the "designed in austria". and they ARE made in austria by the way. they were finished in the czech republic (paint, etc).

It feels solid and buttery smooth and just like heaven.. Maybe the originals were even better, but I hear it was a pretty dang close re-make.

christo
04-14-2008, 02:55 PM
don't buy the frame that's like 102 sq ". it stinks

hyogen
04-14-2008, 04:29 PM
it doesn't stink....but whatever..

superstition
04-14-2008, 07:16 PM
don't buy the frame that's like 102 sq ". it stinks
A limp noodle.

JediMindTrick
04-15-2008, 06:33 AM
I've only played with the "designed in austria". and they ARE made in austria by the way. they were finished in the czech republic (paint, etc).

It feels solid and buttery smooth and just like heaven.. Maybe the originals were even better, but I hear it was a pretty dang close re-make.

How would you compare the Classic Tour to Pure Storm Tour and PT280?

MichaelChang
04-15-2008, 06:44 AM
I think TW were selling the midplus at 89 before it sold out. Now racketguy doing 130. well, good for him. But overall it hasn't been a hyper demand for the 102" head size.

jorel
04-15-2008, 06:59 AM
notice how the price jumped after TW sold out

He does that alot
he was also selling 6.0 85 the same time TW was and was selling it for about $10 less at about $129 and once TW sold out...the price for them jumped to over $200 ! smart and reputable and legit... he is in Canada so I dont think they are under the same MAP restrictions as other places....

but it is also the bay

i bought 7 Fishcer Pro # 1 (red/black version) from him for $50 dollars each

for some reason he had a buttload of those frames he was trying to unload at 4 3/8

jorel
04-15-2008, 07:02 AM

it is a well known fact that they were made in Austria and finished in Czech.
thats why it says designed but they are made in Austria,,, if you look at the buttcap of new frames... they have the made in austria sticker on them

hyogen
04-15-2008, 08:10 AM
How would you compare the Classic Tour to Pure Storm Tour and PT280?

for someone with my strokes...pretty full and fast swings, semi western grip with better forehand and a developing backhand...and pretty hard serve/pretty reliable 2nd serve.... a lot of you have probably seen my vids. I could use lessons to polish my technique here and there, but the biggest roadblock for me right now is my lack of fitness/footwork.

Classic Tour had the most buttery and awesome feeling groundstrokes and returns of serve. Great placement, great spin, great for low shots...my backhands have never been better. The one thing I can't do well with it is serve as consistently or as hard as I would like. Might have been a string issue--maybe stringing it up with poly would have helped...but I think it didn't feel headlight enough to really have a fast racquet head speed for my serves (esp. 2nd kick serve). Probably could have fixed with lead tape to balance it--never really tried that. Maybe b/c classic tour has slightly larger headsize (660 vs 630) it's a little more forgiving. makes sense..

I have almost as good of a forehand with the pt280. When going for shots down the line or inside outside forehand, it's not as precise...I may miss it a little bit more often. Maybe due to increased stiffness. Maybe due to the more headlight balance...maybe due to the fact that mine came with CAPs... My backhands are developing nicely and are much better than when I first tried the PT280. The PT280 doesn't feel as buttery as the classic tour in my opinion. But it has a much louder THUMPING sound. to me it feels like it has more pop for groundstrokes and maybe even serves as well. Volleys are probably about the same for both racquets for me. Return of serve--slightly better with classic tour.

Pure Storm Tour...not buttery at all, but not a stiff racquet. It was right at the point where it had great pop for groundstrokes and serves due to its stiffness, but it didn't KILL my arm. I would say it's around 63-64RA stiffness. Lots of playing almost everyday and my arm would finally give in after a week (shoulder and wrist too). My favorite setup with this racquet to this day is low tension luxilon (the one I liked when I first demo'd it as well)--about 40-45lbs. For someone who doesn't really have elbow issues, this racquet is awesome.... tons of control--i could go down the line/inside out easily with this racquet. GREAT pop for groundstrokes. you could really smash forehands especially. Backhands were good, but i didn't have time to groove with it as much as I would like. Serves had great pop and spin as well. I thought stock weight and balance were fine.

Overall I have chosen to stick with PT280 (for life :D) because I can serve significantly better with it than the classic tour. I may have more impressive and harder shots with the Pure Storm Tour right now, but I feel I can really grow into the PT280 and it'll always provide me with a predictable amount of control/power/feel.

JediMindTrick
04-15-2008, 08:33 AM
Hyogen,

So you feel that the Classic Tour is more precise than the PT280? How would you rank the Classic Tour, PT 280, Pure Storm Tour and RDX 500 MP power-wise. I think I'm going to break down and buy the Classic Tour, but I'm worried that it may have too much pop.

hyogen
04-15-2008, 08:55 AM
the classic tour in my opinion has just ok pop. you have to generate your own power.

Most power to the least:

PureStormTour, PT280, ClassicTour, RDX500.

RDX500 - from the setups i've tried (i just sold mine) was very flexible and spin friendly, but very little power. bad for serves in my opinion unless you were to lead it up.

Well the classic tour was maybe more precise for me b/c of the slightly more forgiving head. It's easier to swing/wield slightly to me than the pt280. The pt280 feels more hefty. So with the PT280, i have to be a lot more precise to generate a more precise shot like going for corner/down the line, etc. I'm getting better with it though.

I honestly would highly recommend the classic tour (mp) to you. I would love having one again, but I'm gonna stick with the PT280.

is there any reason why you don't want the pt280?

JediMindTrick
04-15-2008, 09:07 AM
I would love the PT280 but where can I find them?

MichaelChang
04-15-2008, 09:10 AM
I would love the PT280 but where can I find them?

good comment. :) a 8/10 condition goes for 200 easily on bay, way too expensive.

hyogen
04-15-2008, 09:15 AM
i've seen them go for about 130 before. you can find them on the FS/FT section of this board as well for around that much.

have you tried a pt280?