PDA

View Full Version : Great Durability String

swimntennis
03-08-2008, 03:19 PM
Hey everyone.

With my high school tennis season starting next week, (well, the meeting at least), I'm looking to restring my racquet. I'm currently using Wilson Synthetic Gut strung at 60lb, which has been in my racquet since I bought it in July 2007. I forgot exactly what the gauge was (it was strung before I even knew what gauge was...) but I think I remember hearing the stringer say 16. Although it's great that the string has lasted this long, I'm sure that it must be dead by now.

The Synthetic Gut is working good for me. I'm getting good depth on all of my shots with okay feel. However, I'm not getting as much the spin as I want. I also need a string that is going to last. I can't afford to be restringing it more than once every month and a half or so.

Any recommendations?

nickb
03-08-2008, 03:23 PM
If you have had a synthetic gut in your racket for over 8 months you dont need a durability string...

Nick

swimntennis
03-08-2008, 03:41 PM
If you have had a synthetic gut in your racket for over 8 months you dont need a durability string...

Nick

Okay, so then the reason it has lasted so long is because of the way I play, not the string itself? So I should be looking for a string with better playability then, not durability. What would be a good type of string to try then? I guess I mean that will retain playability for long, as I obviously will not break it quickly.

dr_punk
03-08-2008, 03:56 PM
Okay, so then the reason it has lasted so long is because of the way I play, not the string itself? So I should be looking for a string with better playability then, not durability. What would be a good type of string to try then? I guess I mean that will retain playability for long, as I obviously will not break it quickly.

you're either a
1. Recreational player
2. Flat Hitter
or 3. Just not a string breaker

either way, any good synthetic string would be good, and i'm sure a freshly strung racquet is going to feel alot better than what you have now.

swimntennis
03-08-2008, 04:22 PM
you're either a
1. Recreational player
2. Flat Hitter
or 3. Just not a string breaker

either way, any good synthetic string would be good, and i'm sure a freshly strung racquet is going to feel alot better than what you have now.

I fall into most of those categories really. I just started playing tennis (well, what I call actually playing ;)) last summer, I don't hit with that much spin (I'm working on getting more).

I'm still looking for any specific strings that I could try out.

Babb
03-08-2008, 05:23 PM
Uh, yeah. If your string has lasted you that long, you don't need more durability. The easiest thing to do would be to go from 16 to 17 gauge if you want to increase playability. This will compromise some durability, but you still won't break it in a month and a half, based on your outstanding durability using 16 gauge.

swimntennis
03-08-2008, 05:41 PM
Thanks Babb. What type of string should I be looking at? Should I stick with synthetic or try natural gut? I've also heard positive reviews of the K Gut string.

hewittfan3
03-08-2008, 06:08 PM
I would stick with synthetic cuz natural gut does not last that long...but I would recommend Luxilon Big Banger Alu Power....this string is very durable and has a lot of spin in it...it is kind of expensive but i think u would like it....or maybe yonex tour 850 string which is a little cheaper

Babb
03-08-2008, 06:12 PM
This isn't meant to be offensive at all, but since you've only been playing tennis for a little less than a year, I don't think you'll be able to tell a big difference, but I could be wrong. Since strings aren't really a big expense for you, it wouldn't hurt to try out some nicer multis, such as the K Gut (haven't tried personally) or other multifilaments. Just remember that if you go from basic synthetic to multifilament, you'll sacrifice a little more durability. I would recommend that if you decide on a multifilament you stay with 16 gauge.

And about natural gut, I've never used it myself, as it's kind of out of my budget. I don't think that as a relatively new player you will benefit much more from it than you would a nice multi. However, it's your money and your choice. I could be wrong.

So basically, you said in your OP that the only criteria you have is that the string is durable (which we've determined isn't a big deal for the time being) and that you'd like more spin. The easiest and cheapest route would be to stay with basic synthetic gut but in a 17 gauge. You'll have the same kind of string with more spin and a miniscule amount more pop, but with a little less durability.

ledor
03-08-2008, 06:15 PM
keep your synthetic, but go with a hybrid, soft poly/synthetic combo, or any of your choosing.

Babb
03-08-2008, 06:16 PM
I would stick with synthetic cuz natural gut does not last that long...but I would recommend Luxilon Big Banger Alu Power....this string is very durable and has a lot of spin in it...it is kind of expensive but i think u would like it....or maybe yonex tour 850 string which is a little cheaper
Why would you recommend polyester to a semi-beginner? That is not a good choice for him at all. We've established that durability isn't a big problem for him and he can get more spin simply by going to a thinner gauge...

swimntennis
03-08-2008, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the comments.

I think I'm going to try the KGut. I'm going to read some more reviews on it and ask about it at my club next time I'm there. Also, is there a big difference between the KGut and the KGut Pro?

rorourboat320
03-08-2008, 07:29 PM
well i'm a varsity high school tennis player and not a string breaker. i use syn gut strings too but as a hybrid. i play with big ace on the mains and syn gut titan on the crosses, both are pro supex strings. check them out. they're cheap and if you want more info i'm sure you can easily find threads about them

scotus
03-08-2008, 08:47 PM
Why would you recommend polyester to a semi-beginner? That is not a good choice for him at all. We've established that durability isn't a big problem for him and he can get more spin simply by going to a thinner gauge...

Good call.

He definitely doesn't need a poly.

Also, if synthetic gut lasts him 8 months, a coated natural gut will last him 2 years, barring excessive moisture.

Babb
03-09-2008, 09:08 AM
Good call.

He definitely doesn't need a poly.

Also, if synthetic gut lasts him 8 months, a coated natural gut will last him 2 years, barring excessive moisture.
Yeah. I mean, I'm no string expert but I know that polyester is not for beginners... lol. So scotus, I'm assuming you think he should try a coated natural gut? I don't know that it will help him that much, but I guess it won't hurt since he's not a string breaker. If I wasn't a string breaker, I'd definitely use like VS 17... haha...

But anyway, swimntennis, the K Gut is a fine choice, I believe. To summarize everything I've said thus far, it all depends on how much you want to spend. Paying $35 every half a year (estimated-- I have no personal experience with natural gut) to use the best string available isn't bad at all. Just go with what your heart desires :D

swimntennis
03-09-2008, 12:04 PM
Thanks for all the comments! I really appreciate this. It's helped me a ton.

I'm going with the KGut Pro 16 strung at 58lb. I'm calling two stringers I know to get their prices and then it'll be strung!

Thanks again.

Edit: (Reason for using Pro: they're the same price and I've read Pro holds tension better)

notujoo
03-09-2008, 08:12 PM
you should try polys. pro hurricane lasts pretty long.