PDA

View Full Version : Speedometer for tip of racquet

iambt21
03-08-2008, 10:02 PM
Does anyone know of a speedometer type of item that you could attach to the end of your racquet to get the speed of the tip of hte racquet? I would like to do this to see the difference in swing speeds between particular racquets. They've found that one of the biggest differences between federer and other players..particularly in this instance hewitt that the swing speed of federer is incredibly faster.

My intention is to try this with different swing types and different racquets.

SFrazeur
03-08-2008, 10:10 PM
Attaching a device to the tip of a racquet to read speed would be self defeating as that would not give an accurate reading as the device would change the performance of the racquet.

I suppose a speed gun would be the only thing I can think of that might work. Mattel made a Hot Wheels speed gun, goes for about $25. It might work, I don't know. It can track up to about 99 MPH. However, that's higher than a racquet swing I would think.

-SF

iambt21
03-09-2008, 12:01 AM
Attaching a device to the tip of a racquet to read speed would be self defeating as that would not give an accurate reading as the device would change the performance of the racquet.

I suppose a speed gun would be the only thing I can think of that might work. Mattel made a Hot Wheels speed gun, goes for about $25. It might work, I don't know. It can track up to about 99 MPH. However, that's higher than a racquet swing I would think.

-SF

silly me haha. i dont know why i didnt htink of that. I guess i was just assumming like a clip type of thing and without actually hitting the ball so i figured it would be staying on.

SFrazeur
03-09-2008, 11:59 AM
iambt21, this article will interest you: http://www.aroundhawaii.com/lifestyle/health_and_fitness/2006-01_developing_racquet_head_speed.html

-SF

julian
03-09-2008, 12:29 PM

-SF

The top RACKET speed of the serve of Roddick is around 97.2 miles per hour

iplaybetter
03-09-2008, 12:46 PM
a dot, a high speed camera and a ruler think would work
like mythbusters

YULitle
03-09-2008, 12:58 PM
a dot, a high speed camera and a ruler think would work
like mythbusters

You'd have to be a determinable and consistent distance from the camera to judge speed in this manner.

julian
03-09-2008, 01:09 PM
iambt21, this article will interest you: http://www.aroundhawaii.com/lifestyle/health_and_fitness/2006-01_developing_racquet_head_speed.html

-SF
Loosely related:

Please see www.3Dpowertennis.com.
julian uspta pro 27873
www.julianmielniczuk.usptapro.com

julian
03-09-2008, 01:10 PM
You'd have to be a determinable and consistent distance from the camera to judge speed in this manner.
See the post below yours by julian

julian
03-09-2008, 01:25 PM

See my reference to a Web site in my thread around
julian usptapro 27873

julian
03-09-2008, 06:32 PM
Does anyone know of a speedometer type of item that you could attach to the end of your racquet to get the speed of the tip of hte racquet? I would like to do this to see the difference in swing speeds between particular racquets. They've found that one of the biggest differences between federer and other players..particularly in this instance hewitt that the swing speed of federer is incredibly faster.

My intention is to try this with different swing types and different racquets.

The statement about the swing of federer comparing to other players is true for his forehand.It is NOT alaways true in the case of his serve.More
to come on this subject.
julian usptapro 27873

iambt21
03-10-2008, 09:49 AM
The statement about the swing of federer comparing to other players is true for his forehand.It is NOT alaways true in the case of his serve.More
to come on this subject.
julian usptapro 27873

I should have stated this. i was referring to his forehand. i believe it is true in regards to the backhand as well.

YULitle
03-10-2008, 09:59 AM
Loosely related:

Please see www.3Dpowertennis.com.
julian uspta pro 27873

When I see something like this, it makes me think of the early ages of computers when they would fill an entire room yet still be less powerful than my cellphone. I think that the need for this kind of data exists. But, in order to have any level of accurate data, the measurement devices need to be much less cumbersome.

iambt21
03-10-2008, 01:21 PM
When I see something like this, it makes me think of the early ages of computers when they would fill an entire room yet still be less powerful than my cellphone. I think that the need for this kind of data exists. But, in order to have any level of accurte data, the measurement devices need to be much less cumbersome.

interesting websites. thanks for that. I agree with your comment above. Tennis is waaaaaaay behind when it comes to using technology to improve ones game. The MAc Cam is a recent technology that hsould have been here long ago. They've been doing reviews in football forever. I reallly think the game of tennis would step it up if they could help the general public get over that initial breaking of akwardness when they play.

sidequestion:julian, who do you think has the best serve to replicate?

YULitle
03-10-2008, 01:36 PM
I think tennis has done well with using technology. Look at Hawkeye. That is fairly sophisticated equipment.

I'm just saying that if they plan on getting usable data, they'll need smaller devices.

julian
03-10-2008, 02:49 PM
interesting websites. thanks for that. I agree with your comment above. Tennis is waaaaaaay behind when it comes to using technology to improve ones game. The MAc Cam is a recent technology that hsould have been here long ago. They've been doing reviews in football forever. I reallly think the game of tennis would step it up if they could help the general public get over that initial breaking of akwardness when they play.

It is NOT so bad.
Try to google "Brian Gordon"+"tennis"

julian
03-10-2008, 02:52 PM

Do you have an USPTA pro in your area/country/planet to help with
your question about replication?
see www.uspta.com click Find-pro
julian uspta pro 27873

iambt21
03-10-2008, 05:45 PM
Do you have an USPTA pro in your area/country/planet to help with
your question about replication?
see www.uspta.com click Find-pro
julian uspta pro 27873

I teach tennis for a living :). i am just curious what you think. I know many styles of teaching and play. I am always trying to expand my knowledge.

julian
03-11-2008, 09:39 AM
I teach tennis for a living :). i am just curious what you think. I know many styles of teaching and play. I am always trying to expand my knowledge.

Curious people should be specific with a level of player when asking about reproducing a serve.
iambt21,please specify toss which you want to use:
a) straight up
b) moving on an arc from right to left

julian uspta pro 27873