PDA

View Full Version : Stringing tension?

kungfusmkim
03-09-2008, 08:08 AM
Just wondering how stringing tension effect the strings and the racquet playability. And yes ive read the string and racquet facts on Tennis Warehouse. Can some one explain for me in greater depth and detail on stringing tension? Like do you get more spin with lower string tension or something or more duability. I strung my current raquet N4 MP in 55lbs blue gear i dont really see the difference between that and at 63lbs except for the sound it makes when the ball hits the strings.

YULitle
03-09-2008, 09:06 AM
The sounds is the biggest and most noticeable difference.

When all things are equal, greater tension provides more vibration, thus more feedback. This is because the strings absorb less of the shock, so the racquet takes the hit (which is the vibration we can feel.) Also, with higher tension the dwell time is decreased, giving you more control. Now, spin is imparted on the ball by the string bed moving across the ball (or vice verse, however you look at it.) So, it stands to reason that if you have higher tension, thus less dwell time, you will get less spin as the string bed has less time to impart spin. This, of course, is a small difference in time, roughly 1-2 ms, possibly more. You will get better results (in the search for more spin) by switching to a thinner gauge, longer racquet and/or more open string pattern.

morten
03-10-2008, 02:16 AM
IMO it`s all a mather of personal style and taste. ITo me low tension gives me more feel, spin, bigger sweetspot AND more control.

ctdeuce
03-10-2008, 03:19 AM
It frusturates the hell out of me how bad the strings will jump around the racquet if I string at a too low of tension. The lowest I will go is 55.