PDA

View Full Version : 2 questions about my current and future setup

AmsterdamTennis
03-09-2008, 10:36 AM
Hello,

In about one week i will recieve my 2 new Head Microgel Prestiges. When I have them I want to try out some new strings, to see wich ones will fit my game. At the moment I have my Head liquidmetal prestiges strung with Head Intellistring. Is this a hybrid of a poly and a multi/syn.gut?

I did some research and I definitely want to try Cyber Flash/Wilson K-gut Pro and SPPP/Wilson K-gut pro. Are these a good choice and are these two comparable with the Head Intellistring or completely different?
And do you maybe have some other suggestions for what strings I should try?

Thanks in advance,
AmsterdamTennis

AmsterdamTennis
03-10-2008, 07:23 AM
Please help me and reply:(

PROTENNIS63
03-10-2008, 08:07 AM
Those are good choice hybrids. You should also try Big Ace as a hybrid. Nice soft poly.

Stan
03-10-2008, 08:25 AM
IMO these are horrible hybrids. Any copolymer combined with a multi will have god-awful durability issues. The copolys chew through multis if you hit with any significant spin. If you hit a flatter style ball, you might be able to get away with it.

You are better off going with either of the copolys you mention along with a soft "SOLID CORE" string. Something like Forten Sweet, Ektelon Power Play, LaserFibre LaserTour (more $$ than the other two) will give you the softness you are seeking and will last much longer than a multi. If you must go multi, try Yonex 850 Pro as it is one of the more durable multis on the market.

nickb
03-10-2008, 09:44 AM
Head Intellistring is a hybrid consisting of two multifilamets...it does not have poly in it.

Nick

nickb
03-10-2008, 09:44 AM
IMO these are horrible hybrids. Any copolymer combined with a multi will have god-awful durability issues. The copolys chew through multis if you hit with any significant spin. If you hit a flatter style ball, you might be able to get away with it.

You are better off going with either of the copolys you mention along with a soft "SOLID CORE" string. Something like Forten Sweet, Ektelon Power Play, LaserFibre LaserTour (more $$ than the other two) will give you the softness you are seeking and will last much longer than a multi. If you must go multi, try Yonex 850 Pro as it is one of the more durable multis on the market.

Good advice...also some of the softer co-polys can feel very mushy with a multi in the crosses.

Nick

PROTENNIS63
03-10-2008, 10:08 AM

You make a good point as multis are soft but there are literally thousands of people who hybrid poly and multi. K Gut has been getting good reviews especially in the durability department so he might be able to get a few extra hours in. A synthetic gut would be good as well to hybrid but if he is looking for the most in feel, then he needs to go with either multi or natural gut. There are few guts that cost close to the same as K Gut (BDE, Legend).

Stan
03-10-2008, 10:26 AM
You make a good point as multis are soft but there are literally thousands of people who hybrid poly and multi. ... if he is looking for the most in feel, then he needs to go with either multi or natural gut. .

Yes. I agree. There are many who use multis with copolys. Why? Because they do not know any better. My purpose is to educate and enlighten. I suspect the vast majority, (not all, but most) who use the copoly/multi setup are not satisfied with the durability. There will be some, specifically those who use minimal spin, who will be satisfied with this setup.

I terms of feel, I have to again beg to differ. The characteristics of copolymers are completely dominant in a hybrid setting, especially when used as a main. For most recreational and league players, 3.0 - 4.5, it is virtually impossible to detect any difference between a soft solid core synthetic or a multi or natural gut used as a cross string because the characteristics of the copolymer are dominating the stringbed. The cross string, be it a soft solid core, multi or gut adds some softness, but it is not possible to distinguish between these crosses. With this being the case, using natural gut as a cross string is a complete waste of money and using multis is a waste of money with the added bonus of premature breakage.

I can be persuaded that using natural gut as a main with a copoly cross does offer some benefits and is not a complete waste of money. However, the same can not be said of a multi main as it will shred faster than a multi cross.

AmsterdamTennis
03-10-2008, 10:29 AM
Oke thank you for the replys. I am from the netherlands and not many natural gut is available here.

I usually get about 10-15 hours of playing out of my Head Intellistring, do you think a hybrid as i stated would last longer or shorter than that?
And also do you guys think a hybrid of cyberfalsh or sppp with Wilson Kgut pro will be a lot stiffer than head Intellistring, or will it play quite similar?

Amsterdam tennis

nickb
03-10-2008, 10:30 AM
Its true....I have strung up hybrids like BA mains and Multi X's for club players who never ever break strings and they broke the crosses pretty fast.

Advanced players that hit with decent spin/power will shred the multi in a few hrs..

Nick

AmsterdamTennis
03-11-2008, 06:36 AM
thanks for the info all.
Maybe i should then try a hybrid of cyberflash/sppp with some good synthetic? Like Prince synthetic gut? Would that be better?
Any other advise is welcome:)