PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here hit with the Aerogel 500 tour?

Mansewerz
03-09-2008, 12:39 PM
I saw a couple for a good deal, I just haven't hit with it yet. Any opinions?

jazar
03-09-2008, 12:53 PM
yeah, i quite liked it. nice solid racket, easy to generate spin with. suprisingly though i prefered the non-tour version. dont really know why given it weighs like 50g less than my rackets

TNT16
03-09-2008, 12:58 PM
I saw a couple for a good deal, I just haven't hit with it yet. Any opinions?

Best stick I have played in years! After demoing a bunch of racquets I stumbled across the 500 Tour and ended up switching. Lots of power, good control, great access to spin. Decent weight - I ended up weighting up at 10/2.

I highly recommend this racquet. It is a totally underrated sleeper. Caused me to switch after years of playing with Yonex.

Mansewerz
03-09-2008, 01:22 PM
Best stick I have played in years! After demoing a bunch of racquets I stumbled across the 500 Tour and ended up switching. Lots of power, good control, great access to spin. Decent weight - I ended up weighting up at 10/2.

I highly recommend this racquet. It is a totally underrated sleeper. Caused me to switch after years of playing with Yonex.

nice, hmm i might add it to my demo list

robkat
03-09-2008, 01:31 PM
I Owned one when they first came out. I thought it was an excellent racquet did everything well. Volleys, serves, ground strokes were amazing. The only issue I had with it was, I thought it played too stiff.

themitchmann
03-09-2008, 07:09 PM
We had a demo in our shop last summer. Good weight, swings nice. Overall, a good stick that is versatile enough to please a wide range of players.

Fedace
03-09-2008, 07:10 PM
Almagro uses that frame

TNT16
03-09-2008, 10:00 PM
nice, hmm i might add it to my demo list

Definitely worth a demo!

don_nguyen11490
03-09-2008, 10:03 PM
Demo a Pure Drive. You get the same experience.

nBladed
03-09-2008, 10:28 PM
Tour 500 is waaay better than a Pure Drive. This and other Dunlop rackets are sleepers. I use a k90 now but if I were to switch, that tour 500 would be one of the first considerations. It was also really easy on the arm.

satchman
03-10-2008, 02:50 AM
Yeah, this stick plays similar to a Babolat Pure Drive and cheaper too (where I'm at anyway) so that's a good thing. Demo to find out!

diredesire
03-10-2008, 03:00 AM
Agreed, sleeper for sure. Stable, nice power, but still controllable. Swings light, but doesn't play awfully like it. I found the hoop to be pretty stable, and directional control was good. It felt natural to swing with, although I'd probably end up weighting them if i were to play with them.

themitchmann
03-10-2008, 05:17 AM
When the head pro and I compared the AG 300 and the AG 500 Tour, we both agreed that out of the box, the 500 played much better. Customization may change that, though.

Chicken Neck
03-10-2008, 06:46 AM
Great racquet. Very stable, nice weight and I love the grip shape. I also found the racquet to be very powerful. Granted, I was coming off an extended period of time using a TF 335 so that could account for my impression that the racquet may have almost too much power. Overall I really love this stick. The only caveat is that I am starting to get a bit of elbow pain which I think is due to the siffness of the racquet. I base this upon the fact that I picked up a couple MG Prestige Pros and I rotate them in with the AG500s and this alleviates the problem. I should probably switch to the MGs full time but I can't part from the AGs owing to feeling that the racquet gives you alot of return for very little effort and it is also the best doubles stick I have ever used. You really sould give it a try.

TNT16
03-10-2008, 05:04 PM
Agreed, sleeper for sure. Stable, nice power, but still controllable. Swings light, but doesn't play awfully like it. I found the hoop to be pretty stable, and directional control was good. It felt natural to swing with, although I'd probably end up weighting them if i were to play with them.

Weighting up is critical.

The 500 Tour felt so balanced I left the sticks alone for the first few weeks -- but then really started to feel like there could be a tad more weight up top. I ended up with lead at 10 and 2 . . . feels great now . . . again I am reaching the point of wanting to add a tad more. I had weighted up under the grip too but that did not work for me.

diredesire
03-11-2008, 03:15 AM
Weighting up is critical.

The 500 Tour felt so balanced I left the sticks alone for the first few weeks -- but then really started to feel like there could be a tad more weight up top. I ended up with lead at 10 and 2 . . . feels great now . . . again I am reaching the point of wanting to add a tad more. I had weighted up under the grip too but that did not work for me.

I typically play with leather and an overgrip, so I think this racquet would be a good switch for me, as it'd put it in the range of HL-ness that i'd like stock, and add a little weight at 3/9 and it's right in my wheel house. I'm looking to get towards a more raw/crisp feel. The fischers i play with are a little bit too dampened, even though they're on the raw side of the fischer feel.

TNT16
03-11-2008, 05:57 AM
I typically play with leather and an overgrip, so I think this racquet would be a good switch for me, as it'd put it in the range of HL-ness that i'd like stock, and add a little weight at 3/9 and it's right in my wheel house. I'm looking to get towards a more raw/crisp feel. The fischers i play with are a little bit too dampened, even though they're on the raw side of the fischer feel.

Out of interest why the leather? Did you not like the stock Dunlop Hydramax grip? I actually thought it was quite nice.

Also weird that the stock grip comes with no perforations but the replacement has the triangular holes.

diredesire
03-11-2008, 07:51 AM
Out of interest why the leather? Did you not like the stock Dunlop Hydramax grip? I actually thought it was quite nice.

Also weird that the stock grip comes with no perforations but the replacement has the triangular holes.
Leather has a bit of a raw feel, and gives a little more feedback (firmer). That's really the only reason. Also, they're durable, and don't deform over time (after a while, stock replacement grips start to mold to your hand).

JMBenson
03-11-2008, 12:04 PM
Dang. Just when I decided on the Pure Drive, I read this thread and find out there is another racquet I need to demo!:)

TNT16
03-12-2008, 05:11 AM
Leather has a bit of a raw feel, and gives a little more feedback (firmer). That's really the only reason. Also, they're durable, and don't deform over time (after a while, stock replacement grips start to mold to your hand).

Thanks. I will check that setup out on one of mine.

johnathan smith
03-12-2008, 07:51 AM
the 500 tour is a nice frame. Lots of cheap power for playing defense and still real nice stability. I don't know how they do it with such a light racquet, but it works.
The frames also serve pretty large as well.
I am currently looking for a few to buy,

TNT16
03-13-2008, 05:49 AM
the 500 tour is a nice frame. Lots of cheap power for playing defense and still real nice stability. I don't know how they do it with such a light racquet, but it works.

Agreed. Also looking at the RA at 70 or 71 I don't understand how they can get the racquet to feel as if it has (a lot) more flex.

Based on specs alone I would not have thought I would like the racquet, but I had a real eye opener when I demoed it . . . and no regrets once I switched!

Leading it up at 10 and 2 has really turned this stick into a weapon!

mattyc
03-13-2008, 07:58 AM
it is a better version of a pure drive in my opinion. I hate all those type of bats, but if u r considering a babolat, def test drive this bad boy as they are so cheap

bigdaddy
03-14-2008, 08:04 AM
Been playing with the 500Tour since they came out. Love this racquet. Nice pop with control. Easy to swing. Great racquet!! Give it a try.

Dunlop 500 Tour
Technifibre X-One BIPHASE 16 GA 62 lbs.
Lux BB ALU Power rough 57 lbs

johnathan smith
03-14-2008, 12:00 PM
what's really nice is that you can use a full poly job (super smash 16g) and with the 16x18 pattern can get loads of spin and still enjoy the control and durability of the poly string.
Can't really find anything wrong with these frames......