PDA

View Full Version : Poly Shearing

300Gkid
03-09-2008, 01:51 PM
Hey, heres the deal. Last summer i had severe poly shearing problems, like i could not get a set of CyberFlash to last mroe than a couple hours. But, this winter, i switched to PHT and had seen no problems. So, thinking i was home free, I strung up my M-fil 300 a couple weeks ago with the setup in my signature (Cyberpower) and yesterday, they sheared and broke at the top of the frame, i was heartbroken as i had thought i finally beat this thing. So, i pulled out my backup which i had yet to string iwth Cyberpower, and had like a month old PHT in it, and after a few minutes, THIS SNAPPED TOO! Now i was really confused, PHT has never snapped on me before. The only thing thats different about these last few weeks is that i have played outdoors for the first time in a while, could that have impacted it? Also, both of these strings were 17g, would it be helpful to go to 16g?

if you have any ideas of how to stop shearing, or any strings that dont shear, please respond

thanks

Stan
03-09-2008, 02:02 PM
If you hit the ball in the center of the stringbed you have no worries.

Otherwise, I might suggest that the softer copolymers have a greater tendency to shear if they are not installed by a professional who knows how to properly put these strings in racquets. You can not prelace mains, you can not overtighten clamps and you definitely can not be is such a hurry that you kink the string. Most copolymers, properly installed, do not have a shearing problem...at least not any greater likelihood than other strings when shanked. However, when not properly installed they are much more likely to shear. I suspect stringer error.

J011yroger
03-09-2008, 02:38 PM
I have gone through literally hundreds of ALU stringjobs and have never sheared a string.

I don't know if it is because of the ALU being a better quality string and more resistant to shearing, or because I play thin box beamed racquets which don't put as much stress on the string when you frame it, or a combination of the two.

J

kirbster123
03-09-2008, 03:04 PM
If you hit the ball in the center of the stringbed you have no worries.

Otherwise, I might suggest that the softer copolymers have a greater tendency to shear if they are not installed by a professional who knows how to properly put these strings in racquets. You can not prelace mains, you can not overtighten clamps and you definitely can not be is such a hurry that you kink the string. Most copolymers, properly installed, do not have a shearing problem...at least not any greater likelihood than other strings when shanked. However, when not properly installed they are much more likely to shear. I suspect stringer error.

What's wrong with prelacing copolys?

samej07
03-09-2008, 03:27 PM
I have gone through literally hundreds of ALU stringjobs and have never sheared a string.

I don't know if it is because of the ALU being a better quality string and more resistant to shearing, or because I play thin box beamed racquets which don't put as much stress on the string when you frame it, or a combination of the two.

J

im in the same possion as you J011ly. i have played tons of pht jobs and have never sheared a string. the reason i quoted it though is that i play a babolat apdc, which is about as far from your box frames as you can get and i've still never had the problem.

so i guess you should just aim to hit the ball in the middle. lol. ;)

nickb
03-09-2008, 03:40 PM
I have never sheared a string...not even poly.

Could you be kinking the string during stringing or have old grommets?

Nick

Stan
03-09-2008, 04:50 PM
What's wrong with prelacing copolys?

Prelaicng copolys adds an extra "bend" (for lack of a better word) to the string. It can create weaknesses that are not necessary. For this reason mains should not be prelaced.

Babb
03-09-2008, 06:20 PM
What is shearing?

J011yroger
03-09-2008, 06:34 PM
What is shearing?

When you mishit a ball at the edge of the frame, it puts an incredible amount of stress on the string, and sometimes it will just snap at the very edge of the frame even though the string was not nearly worn enough to break normally.

That is called shearing, it usually happens right at the very top of the frame.

J

J011yroger
03-09-2008, 06:35 PM
http://www.hvresource.com/Anton/rqis1.jpg

That is shearing. Picture stolen from Anton.

J