PDA

View Full Version : Question about business, please help

RestockingTues
03-09-2008, 02:07 PM
I gave a friend of mine one of my rackets to string, and the big hitter blue he put in the mains for me (meaning its his own string) snapped while he was tying off the crosses. He told me the string snapped pretty close to the frame so there's probably something wrong with my grommets. I need a racket for tomorrow though, so he's charging me an extra $6 for the wasted labor/string.

What's your opinion about this?

YULitle
03-09-2008, 02:13 PM
$6 on top of what you paid for the strings and labor?

westy
03-09-2008, 02:20 PM
If he was a good stringer, he would have checked your grommets prior to stringing. As you need it quickly, it may be best to just pay up, but its probably best not to use your friend again.

RestockingTues
03-09-2008, 02:25 PM
It was $12 before, now it's 18. Should I have to pay for the labor that was put into the first string job though?
And since it's supposedly the grommets that broke the strings, should I even string that racket for the time being?

YULitle
03-09-2008, 02:32 PM
He shouldn't charge more because it broke. That is silly. He probably should have caught the damage (if indeed that was the issue,) but it is still his time that you were paying for, so... I dunno. I'd definitely check your grommets before having it strung again.

cpmoran
03-09-2008, 03:07 PM
So the strings he provided broke? Then he should have just redone it, and not even mentioned it, other then to tell you to get a new set off grommets. If the string that broke was yours, then he might charge you for the strings. Since he doest know how old they are, or where they have been stored ect... I think one of the reasons stringers mark up strings is to cover there *** if they break while stringing. But I dont think charging labor twice is fair, if he didnt check the grommets. JMO

dancraig
03-09-2008, 04:47 PM
How does he know his string did not have a weak spot that caused the break?
If I'm stringing a frame, with my string, and it snaps on the machine I just pull out some more string and keep working. If it snaps again in the same spot, I might then suspect the grommet. I don't think I have ever had one snap twice in the same spot.
I think he should have just kept on working untill he did what you asked , string your racquet. He could have possibly tubed the suspect grommet.

nickb
03-09-2008, 04:55 PM
Yeah if the string breaks I just pull some more from the reel and start again...thankfully its only happend to me 4 or so times. 1 of those was with natural gut...I just had to use another set...I was out of pocket big time but I would never want the customer to know. If a customers set of string snaps then I would replace it with something I have similar, order some of the string then string it up for nothing extra (including cost of ordered string).

What your stringer did was pretty dumb and just made him look crap at stringing..

Nick