PDA

View Full Version : More stringing questions

RestockingTues
03-09-2008, 03:11 PM
Hey there TW posters, so if you havenít read a previous thread I posted about stringing, the story is that the mains on my racket snapped halfway through one of my friendís stringjobs. It broke near the top of the frame, so I guess itís the grommets that are messed up. What Iím wondering is, Can bad grommets ruin strings? And around what tension do polys break for you?

If it helps the mains in my racket were supposed to be unique big hitter blue, strung at 57. Another one of my friends told me that his polys break around 60 lbs, so Iím wondering if the high tension could be the cause for string breakage.

gocard
03-09-2008, 03:17 PM
Can you check to see if any of your grommets are cracked? You should be able to see if there is a split instead of a circular shape on the grommet. I don't know if one type of string is more sensitive to a split grommet over another type of string, but I imagine it could happen since the split may have a sharp edge that rubs against the string.

diredesire
03-09-2008, 03:27 PM
Unique big hitter blue I hear is similar (if not the same as) Topspin Cyber Power. I've had one or two instances of breaking occuring while stringing it up, I don't think tension is the issue. I think it is just the nature of the string, as it is softer. Be careful of kinks, I expect one time there was a light kink in the string that i did not detect, and it popped right at the kink spot for me. I can't be sure, though, as I normally feel kinks before tensioning...

RestockingTues
03-09-2008, 03:31 PM
Kinks as in a weak spot in the string?

YULitle
03-09-2008, 03:34 PM
A kink can happen at the plant where the string was made before packaging or during the stringing process. It is a weak point in the string, but it's because the string was bent to a point (the kink) that the string is weak there.

themitchmann
03-09-2008, 07:03 PM
Did the stringer check his clamps? Maybe he crushed/pinched the string?

I've never broken poly while stringing...I've strung as high as 65lbs without a problem (knock on wood).

diredesire
03-09-2008, 07:16 PM
Did the stringer check his clamps? Maybe he crushed/pinched the string?

I've never broken poly while stringing...I've strung as high as 65lbs without a problem (knock on wood).
Also another good point.

Kinks can occur during the stringing process if the string gets tangled or if it has a "curl" to it. When pulling through the grommets, sometimes these curls/tangles propagate until just before you pull the string through against the frame. There will be a tiny, very, very sharp bend, which is what creates the weak spot. Normally, polys handle kinks pretty darn well, but if you are playing with a very soft copolymer, you will probably see some adverse effects sometime in your stringing career.