PDA

View Full Version : question for mrts & professional stringers

Muffin Man
03-09-2008, 03:39 PM
i've recently been doing more and more stringing for the club that i teach at. i normally do atw for any racquet that requires. one of the reasons i like to do atw patterns is that all of the tie-offs are on cross strings.

lately, i have strung a bunch of frames where the mains end on the top. rather than tie off the short side last main i used a little extra length to string the 1st or 2nd and 1st crosses and then tied off. then, i finished stringing the crosses with the long side tying off on the last cross as you would normally.

i guess i'm wondering whether this is acceptable to you or if you have any suggestions.

thanks in advance.

Stan
03-09-2008, 03:46 PM
Acceptable to me.

kingdaddy41788
03-09-2008, 03:47 PM
It's kind of silly. Why wouldn't you just finish stringing it with one piece?

Muffin Man
03-09-2008, 03:54 PM
it still is one piece. i just wanted the tension loss from the knots to be on the crosses instead of the mains. not a big deal, i know, but i just wanted to get some thoughts on the idea.

YULitle
03-09-2008, 04:02 PM
This is actually a desirable way to string. What you are essentially doing is ensuring that the two last mains have the same actual tension by not tying off.

This is very acceptable. :D

iplaybetter
03-09-2008, 04:29 PM
i've recently been doing more and more stringing for the club that i teach at. i normally do atw for any racquet that requires. one of the reasons i like to do atw patterns is that all of the tie-offs are on cross strings.

lately, i have strung a bunch of frames where the mains end on the top. rather than tie off the short side last main i used a little extra length to string the 1st or 2nd and 1st crosses and then tied off. then, i finished stringing the crosses with the long side tying off on the last cross as you would normally.

i guess i'm wondering whether this is acceptable to you or if you have any suggestions.

thanks in advance.

yes in fact it is recommended as it helps maintains tension on the outer main
note you must now a bit about your botton cross and how to weav it when you do this

Muffin Man
03-09-2008, 06:39 PM
thanks guys...i guess i should send a tip to usrsa and see if it makes it in the next issue.

Richard Parnell
03-09-2008, 11:12 PM
I use this modified ATW all the time and always run two of the ss whatever method I am using.
All the best,
Richard

kingdaddy41788
03-09-2008, 11:24 PM
it still is one piece. i just wanted the tension loss from the knots to be on the crosses instead of the mains. not a big deal, i know, but i just wanted to get some thoughts on the idea.

Ah, sorry. I misread/misunderstood. This is perfectly acceptable. :)

diredesire
03-10-2008, 02:27 AM

thanks in advance.

Yep, I like this method. I do it whenever it is convenient.

stringwalla
03-10-2008, 03:39 PM
Good stringers can always find a logical way

Steve Huff
03-10-2008, 08:38 PM
Exactly how I do it too. Always like to tie off a cross.