PDA

View Full Version : I want some advice on choosing rackets

mishin900
03-09-2008, 07:24 PM
I'm a high school team player and leved about NTRP 3.5.
I purchased two K Factor Surge about a year ago when I had no idea about the specs of rackets. During several months, I loaded up one of my K Surge with about 40 grams of lead tape. According to the calculator online the swingweight went up to about 320 and the balance changed to about 8 pt. head light. However, even though I made the racket heavy, the racket itself feels too powerful and and I can't swing as hard as I can when I have to execute the shot. So, I'm looking for rackets that have head size of between 95 and 100/regular 27 inch length/weight of over 330 grams (11.64 oz.)/swingweight of over 315/stiffness between 63-67/relatively narrow beam width/open string pattern/and low power level.

The ones that I'm planning to demo are Wilson Prostaff 6.0 (midplus)/Wilson K Factor KSix-One 95 (16x18)/Babolat Pure Storm Tour/and Tecnifibre TFight 335 (16x20). Among those, Prostaff 6.0 is the one that I think I will like.

So.. I just want to get some advice before I demo those rackets.

P.S. I'm 5.7 ft tall and weigh about 150 lbs. I can easily handle swingweight about 320.

anirut
03-09-2008, 07:47 PM
You can use the Racquet Finder to find your racket.

Don't know where it is? It's at the top righthand corner of the page.

Anton
03-09-2008, 08:26 PM
what grip do you use?

mishin900
03-09-2008, 08:58 PM
Those are the ones that I found by using Racket Finder.
And I use 4 1/4 size grip with Wilson Pro Overgrip.

louis netman
03-09-2008, 09:10 PM
I loaded up one of my K Surge with about 40 grams of lead tape. According to the calculator online the swingweight went up to about 320 and the balance changed to about 8 pt. head light. However, even though I made the racket heavy, the racket itself feels too powerful and and I can't swing as hard as I can when I have to execute the shot. So, I'm looking for rackets that have head size of between 95 and 100/regular 27 inch length/weight of over 330 grams (11.64 oz.)/swingweight of over 315/stiffness between 63-67/relatively narrow beam width/open string pattern/and low power level.

The ones that I'm planning to demo are Wilson Prostaff 6.0 (midplus)/Wilson K Factor KSix-One 95 (16x18)/Babolat Pure Storm Tour/and Tecnifibre TFight 335 (16x20). Among those, Prostaff 6.0 is the one that I think I will like.

So.. I just want to get some advice before I demo those rackets.

P.S. I'm 5.7 ft tall and weigh about 150 lbs. I can easily handle swingweight about 320.

If you're OK without getting the excitement of setting up and playing a new frame, place some of that mass that your stick is already endowed with in the buttcap, and then stiffen your stringbed. You should notice significant results...

montx
03-09-2008, 10:34 PM
Although I am your senior by a lot I have few suggestions.

First it sounds like you know what you are looking for.

When I first bought my Volkl Tour 10 MP Gen II, I wanted a heavy racquet with a specific balance for stability and something with a low swingweight and paid no attention to static weight.

I've learned that chasing a goal begins with considering all these factors to mind.

Today, I can say I got the basic idea of what racquet type works for me because I've had some experimentation and some more experience playing.

I learned in my journey that the less head light the racquet, the usually more stable the racquet is on impact with the ball and, therefore, better for return of serve.

But, I still want a head light balance over all, I'm just willing to exchange a little balance for stability.

There are a lot of things you will find, but my main suggestion is this. Play with one string like Wilson NXT and play different racquets.

I'm very inclined to try the Technifibre T-Fight lines like what tipsarevic uses.

You might even be able to lead that on the head a fair bit.

Another thing is narrow it down. You look for a bunch of racquets without using the racquet finder and talk to yourself and ask, which racquet would I be interested to try, the answers will come.

Best of Luck.

mishin900
03-10-2008, 04:20 AM
If you're OK without getting the excitement of setting up and playing a new frame, place some of that mass that your stick is already endowed with in the buttcap, and then stiffen your stringbed. You should notice significant results...

Well, I said that I already put 40 grams of weight (12 in the head/28 in the buttcap), and my stringbed is not that soft since I strung Cyber Flash 1.25 in 60 lbs. The problems is the power level of my racket which is quite high for me because of thick beam width.

ssjkyle31
03-10-2008, 04:39 AM
Have you look at your technique? At that weight the racket should be perfect for some heavy ground strokes. I watch high school players play. High School players believe they can overpower the other player. It not so much as how fast you swing but in timing and using your body weight.

I would look at the KPro Tour or the K Blade Tour for your needs.

mishin900
03-10-2008, 04:42 AM
Although I am your senior by a lot I have few suggestions.

First it sounds like you know what you are looking for.

When I first bought my Volkl Tour 10 MP Gen II, I wanted a heavy racquet with a specific balance for stability and something with a low swingweight and paid no attention to static weight.

I've learned that chasing a goal begins with considering all these factors to mind.

Today, I can say I got the basic idea of what racquet type works for me because I've had some experimentation and some more experience playing.

I learned in my journey that the less head light the racquet, the usually more stable the racquet is on impact with the ball and, therefore, better for return of serve.

But, I still want a head light balance over all, I'm just willing to exchange a little balance for stability.

There are a lot of things you will find, but my main suggestion is this. Play with one string like Wilson NXT and play different racquets.

I'm very inclined to try the Technifibre T-Fight lines like what tipsarevic uses.

You might even be able to lead that on the head a fair bit.

Another thing is narrow it down. You look for a bunch of racquets without using the racquet finder and talk to yourself and ask, which racquet would I be interested to try, the answers will come.

Best of Luck.

Oh, I forgot to mention about the balance I want which is about 8 pt. head light. Anyway, I guess what I should do is to demo those rackets and think about how they match my play.

mishin900
03-10-2008, 04:55 AM
thx for your advice. What I want by changing the racket is the feel of a racket with open string pattern and narrow beam width without changing the specs that I'm using now. Actually, K Blade Tour is the one that has pretty much everything I want but the thing is I prefer the feel of open string pattern. Then is there a way to make close string pattern feel like open string pattern by adjusting the tension? I'm using Cyber Flash 1.25 in 60 lbs.

stav_babolat
03-10-2008, 09:00 AM
Pure storm..

fuzz nation
03-10-2008, 03:21 PM
I think you are on the right track in looking at frames with a more narrow beam width and more flex. If you feel like you need to hold back to keep your routine shots down on the court, a lower flex rating could be key for you. Those ratings are only general by the way, so don't rule out some sticks that are even rated in the high 50's.

I've transitionned away from the old Prostaff 6.1 Classics into softer frames with similar weight and I'm doing my best these days with the Volkl C10 Pro, but the Donnay Pro One mp and Prince NXG mid are thrillin' me, too. They all have good heft for me, so I can take them to net just fine, but the extra flex has really helped me develop my baseline game. Now I have my power under control and it didn't require going brick hard on my string tensions.