PDA

View Full Version : Yonex RD7 vs RD-Ti 80 (orange cosmetics)

theone
03-10-2008, 08:44 AM
Which one would you choose?

I could get either one at a similar price, the main difference I see between the two is the swingweight (342(?) vs 315).

Can anyone give me any options on this?

Thanks

!Tym
03-10-2008, 09:48 AM
RD-Ti 80 has a somewhat metallic tinny feeling and sounding response, but the results you get coming off the racket are very good and very versatile. The racket is maneuverable without being a fly swatter (meaning you sacrifice 'stroking presence', which allows you to feel like you can meter and are in control of your desired swing speed at all times).

The RD-7 however is a better racket for a 5.0 or above, true advanced player. The RD-7 is the king of stroking presence, but you must have advanced level footwork and stroke mechanics to get the frame moving fast enough many times. If you can, you'll be rewarded with a ball cupping sensation that's hard to describe and is very fleeting. On your good days, you'll probably find that the RD-7 has one of the, if not the, sweetest shot response you've ever experienced. It makes your hand feel like a perfectly broken-in, leather baseball mit...that kind of sensation, very organic.

On your bad days, which will come heavy and often, you'll find the racket to feel dead on impact and do nothing for you in terms of control, feel, or response.

To reiterate, it's only on your good days that this racket shines like no other. On good days, when you're connecting regularly with voluptuous swings, you'll find that you get it ALL. Bite from another planet, zen control, the touch of a succulent plum, and the power of an angry Sergi Bruguera. In other words, this racket on its better days is a Sergi Bruguera or Marcelo Rios' dream racket, heck, it even worked for Malivai Washington who stocked up on as many of these as he could find when Yonex discontinued it.

The RD-7 is really a unique (if tempermental) 'DIVA' racket, a real classic with one of the greatest paint jobs of all time, the RD-Ti 80 by comparison is merely a 'neither here nor there' type of racket.

I would go for the RD-7 personally, as you'll find in years to come that'll it be the rarer of the two and more valuable of the two. Meanwhile, the RD Ti-80 is like a basket of fish & chips, you can pick up it or something similar anywhere your heart so desires.

furyoku_tennis
03-10-2008, 10:08 AM
this could be a stupid question, but what is the difference between the orange cosmetics and the blue cosmetics. Isn't it just a difference in color?

theone
03-10-2008, 10:20 AM
^ I've read on here that the old orange one is feels better and is less 'tinny' than the blue and red one.

From what you say I don't think the RD7 would be a good idea lol. I'm more like 4.5, not 5.0 because I haven't been coached that long.. been playing for about 4-5 years. I can hit all the shots but i'm not consistent enough. I think the RD 80 would let me be more competitive?

KOtennis
03-10-2008, 05:01 PM
i like the old Orange pj
and it does feel A LITTLE different than the new version, even though they are suppose to be exactly the same.

!tym is right on with his comments.

i have both racquest and really like both.

RD-7 is really really demanding. super flexible, unlike any racquet that i have tried.

when you are on, RD-7 can enhance ur game n fold.

ti-80 is a good racquet too, but some dont like the "metallic/tingy" feel. I solve it by putting a rubber band on.
one of my favorite serve and volley racquets.

if you can get a RD-7 in good condition, i suggest you do it...

i dont have to worry because i have 7 stocked up.. :)

theone
03-11-2008, 03:04 AM
When you say demanding and flexible, do you mean it has very low power, or it has a small sweetspot?