PDA

View Full Version : Pro kennex k.i5 trouble serving and awesome Head MicroGEL Extreme.

A-Rod6600
03-10-2008, 09:57 AM
Hello guys,
i play with a pro kennex k.i.5 strung with xcel power, yesterday when i was warming up my string broke up, and i borrow a Head MicroGEL Extreme from my friend strung with a standard monofilamet string.

I used to have good serve but since i play with my k.i.5, i have lost a lot of pace in my serve. Yesterday, all of a sudden, i started serving great, i can say one of my best serving day ever, that racquet really inspired me some bomb serve and only few double fault. I also played very well from the baseline. The sound and the impact of the two racquet are completely different, i suppose beacuse head is stiffer and light, the head transmitts much more vibrations. The problem is that i suffer from wrist pain and at the end of the match my wrist hurt (due to stiffness + monofilament + vibrations).

Now, what are the reason of my problem when serving with the pro-kennex?, and how can i find a racquet similar to the Head MicroGEL Extreme, but with a low stiffness and good on my wrist?

Thanks!

scotus
03-10-2008, 10:17 AM
Try some lead on your Ki 5, possibly at 10 and 2 o'clock.

A-Rod6600
03-10-2008, 10:41 AM
Try some lead on your Ki 5, possibly at 10 and 2 o'clock.

Won't it become too heavy? i feel it is already quite heavy for me.

alb1
03-10-2008, 07:23 PM
The Ki5 is a good all around racket but is not an ace machine compared to stiffer frames. I suffer from wrist pain also with stiff frames. Two frames I've currently used without pain are the Volkl DNX9 (strung in low 50's with a soft monofilament) and a Prince Turbo Shark Longbody (experimenting with different lead setups to add some weight) . Both of these give me more pop on the serve and are still comfortable.

tennisinoc
03-10-2008, 07:56 PM
Have you tried the string that was on the Head on your Ki5?
That might be the difference right there and not the racket.
At least try that out before dropping another $200+ for another racket that gives you wrist pain :)

ctdeuce
03-11-2008, 05:04 AM
Always nice to see someone appreciate the Extreme Pro :)

A-Rod6600
03-11-2008, 01:09 PM
How can a rough monofilament be better than the xcel power by babolat?

rabidcow
03-11-2008, 04:04 PM
A stiffer racket will serve better than a softer racket, especially if thats what it is designed to do. You may find slightly better pop with a Ki10/Ki10PSE, which should still be pretty good on your wrist

tennisinoc
03-11-2008, 09:16 PM
Hello guys,
how can i find a racquet similar to the Head MicroGEL Extreme, but with a low stiffness and good on my wrist?

Thanks!

What about using an older model of the Head Extreme with softer strings?
My friend has almost new Head i.Extreme midplus he is trying to liquidate.
If you are interested in this as a possibility, I can ask him for specs and price.
I am sure it will be cheap. Let me know.

scotus
03-11-2008, 09:54 PM
Won't it become too heavy? i feel it is already quite heavy for me.

Heaviness is relative, so if it's too heavy for you, then it might not work.

Having said this, if you use this racquet a bit longer, you will probably get used to the weight of it.

With lead, you can start with just 1 gram on each side. It will help raise the sweet spot a bit.

Also, one thing I do is string the top 6 crossses looser than the rest by about 5 lbs. I feel that it livens up the upper string bed and helps me with serves especially with Ki 5.

dcheung
03-12-2008, 07:41 AM
Heaviness is relative, so if it's too heavy for you, then it might not work.

Having said this, if you use this racquet a bit longer, you will probably get used to the weight of it.

With lead, you can start with just 1 gram on each side. It will help raise the sweet spot a bit.

Also, one thing I do is string the top 6 crossses looser than the rest by about 5 lbs. I feel that it livens up the upper string bed and helps me with serves especially with Ki 5.

Andrew, I found the racquet stock on the light side, I restrung with Tonic+ main 52lbs/Alu Power rough 48 lbs cross, leather grip and 9 grams of lead from 2/4 to 10/8 position. My tennis mates reported that there was obvious increase in my serving speed and weight. However, I am still adjusting my forehand though, strange that I framed more than the K90 I am using.

David