PDA

View Full Version : Leather Grips

tcword
03-10-2008, 01:30 PM
What are the pros and cons of leather grips? Does it increase the grip size any?

jazar
03-10-2008, 01:54 PM
they give better feel and help reduce vibrations

nickb
03-10-2008, 01:54 PM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=99726

nickb
03-10-2008, 01:55 PM

They dont reduce vibration...they increase vibration..hence better feel..

Nick

meowmix
03-10-2008, 06:43 PM

Nick

Depends on how thick the leather is. But in general, yes.

skraggle
03-10-2008, 06:55 PM
Leather is always a harsher ride, but man is it fun to play with.

louis netman
03-10-2008, 07:01 PM

Nick

Depends on how thick the leather is. But in general, yes.

Natural leather does not reduce, nor does it increase vibration. It merely allows the actual vibrations in the frame to be transmitted to the hand with the least amount of interference. If anything, vibes are probably somewhat reduced in comparison to playing with your hand directly on the pallet.

hrstrat57
03-10-2008, 07:02 PM
I recently put Gamma leather grips on my head i prestige racquets. Very sweet, highly recommended....

You feel the frame and thus the ball a lot more with leather, the increased touch is what it is all about.

Def not for reducing vibration.

I don't use an overgrip....

I played leather for years, POG mid, PS 85 and 200g the latter frames had fairway grips, the best but nearly impossible to find now.

I got the gamma leather grips from TW btw....very nice.

davey
03-10-2008, 10:13 PM
Pros:
Leather grips have a nice firm feel to them, not soft or spongy like synthetic grips.

Depending on how the leather was processed, good ones will develop a nice tacky feel once you get warmed up and your hand starts to sweat a bit.

Cons:
When you start using one for the first time, you might get some blisters on your hand. They aren't too bad and shouldn't keep you from playing. In 2-3 weeks the skin on your hand should adjust and you will be fine.

If your hand gets too sweaty leather can get slippery. I hold my racket by the throat between point or dry it off with my shirt or a towel to keep it tacky. Also, over time the oils in the leather wear out and they loose the tackiness. fortunately you can restore it with leather treatment stuff. Lexol conditioner is pretty good.

Leather grips can last for years if you take good care of them. Much longer than anything else and you will save in the long run.

Overall, it's just a matter of personal preference. Use whatever feels best for you.

nickb
03-11-2008, 06:48 AM
Natural leather does not reduce, nor does it increase vibration. It merely allows the actual vibrations in the frame to be transmitted to the hand with the least amount of interference. If anything, vibes are probably somewhat reduced in comparison to playing with your hand directly on the pallet.

But we are talking about leather vs synthetic not leather vs bare pallet...

hrstrat57
03-11-2008, 06:31 PM
huge bad on my part, it has been a long winter the sticks haven't been out of the bag in months.....

just pulled out the i prestige mp's and the grips I installed are leather babolat...

so sorry for the confusion....they are highly recommended by me.

I have not tried the gamma leather grips....

Babolat....

sorry!

louis netman
03-11-2008, 08:34 PM
But we are talking about leather vs synthetic not leather vs bare pallet...

Please allow my previous example of leather vs the bare pallet to merely illustrate the concept.

In terms of commercially available grip materials, leather allows the most vibrations to be transmitted to the hand compared to synthetics. That is, the more synthetic cushioning that is added to the handle, the less frame vibration that is transmitted to the user's hand.

<3Tennis
03-11-2008, 09:28 PM
just a quick question.

when installing a leather grip do i need to use a staple gun? (have heard that leather grips dont come with that little piece of tape like overgrips)

i don't have a staple gun @ my convenience so that is the only part that sways me off.

louis netman
03-11-2008, 09:47 PM
just a quick question.

when installing a leather grip do i need to use a staple gun? (have heard that leather grips dont come with that little piece of tape like overgrips)

i don't have a staple gun @ my convenience so that is the only part that sways me off.

Most brands like bab, gamma, wilson, etc have some type of adhesive where you can fanagle it on w/o a staple. Fairway, however comes w/o tacky adhesive & requires securing to the handle.