PDA

View Full Version : Loose End Strings (ON Mains)

t0nym4c
03-10-2008, 04:11 PM
I have strung several racquets with my gamma x-2 stringer. I have notice that on the last main on both sides of the racquet lose a significant amount of tension compared to the other mains. I watched a video on how to tie knots to make up for tension lost, but the last main is still loose. I even tried tightening the last string 5lbs higher compared to the rest of the racquet. I believe that the flying clamps. Can anyone help me? Thanks.

Hewitt Aussie
03-10-2008, 04:33 PM
its normal

theace21
03-10-2008, 04:34 PM
You almost always have a slight tension loss. Flying clamps make it a little more difficult to minimize tension loss.

I wouldn't worry about it. This loss is pretty normal. You can do a few things, but seriously it is not going to effect the string bed tension. I have seen people pull the knot so tightly with needles pliers that they have snapped the string...

But if you want you can do the following (at your own risk)!

If you are really, really careful - you can slide an awl in and it will hold the tension. But one mistake, and you will nick the string. In the old wood racket days this was standard procedure.

Just be consistent and do it the same every time and it really doesn't matter...

YULitle
03-10-2008, 04:36 PM
The last main will always move more than the other strings. This is because it doesn't have two strings on each side (at opposite weaves) to keep it in place, as the other strings do.

There is nothing that you can do to avoid this. :D

t0nym4c
03-10-2008, 04:45 PM
You almost always have a slight tension loss. Flying clamps make it a little more difficult to minimize tension loss.

I wouldn't worry about it. This loss is pretty normal. You can do a few things, but seriously it is not going to effect the string bed tension. I have seen people pull the knot so tightly with needles pliers that they have snapped the string...

But if you want you can do the following (at your own risk)!

If you are really, really careful - you can slide an awl in and it will hold the tension. But one mistake, and you will nick the string. In the old wood racket days this was standard procedure.

Just be consistent and do it the same every time and it really doesn't matter...

so I pull tension with the awl inside the grommet?

iplaybetter
03-10-2008, 04:49 PM

i wouldn't do it

t0nym4c
03-10-2008, 04:53 PM
i wouldn't do it

Yea that does not sound safe at all. There has to be a better way.

iplaybetter
03-10-2008, 04:59 PM
Yea that does not sound safe at all. There has to be a better way.

i do a lot of around the word, and on 1-peice where i dont need the around the word i will do 1 or 2 of the top crosses with the last main, to minimize waste and to hold tension on the outer main better

t0nym4c
03-10-2008, 05:05 PM
What about for hybrid stringing? Are there any tricks for that?

iplaybetter
03-10-2008, 05:08 PM
What about for hybrid stringing? Are there any tricks for that?

clamp close, up a pound maybe USRSA says dont tho use a starting clamp on the knot, rock forward and then hard back and it will take up some of the string not much more to say realy

t0nym4c
03-10-2008, 05:11 PM
clamp close, up a pound maybe USRSA says dont tho use a starting clamp on the knot, rock forward and then hard back and it will take up some of the string not much more to say realy

I already do that, but it is still loose. I guess I am out of options. Maybe it is time to invest in a a stringing machine with fixed clamps.

iplaybetter
03-10-2008, 05:17 PM
I already do that, but it is still loose. I guess I am out of options. Maybe it is time to invest in a a stringing machine with fixed clamps.

afraid that is the case

YULitle
03-10-2008, 06:00 PM

I think maybe my point was missed. This string will be loose regardless of any arrangements or tricks. It is absurd to think that it can be tight enough to not move away from it's dead-straight position. It just cannot be done. Degrees of looseness maybe. But you'll drive yourself crazy trying to keep the outer mains from moving.

t0nym4c
03-10-2008, 08:25 PM
I think maybe my point was missed. This string will be loose regardless of any arrangements or tricks. It is absurd to think that it can be tight enough to not move away from it's dead-straight position. It just cannot be done. Degrees of looseness maybe. But you'll drive yourself crazy trying to keep the outer mains from moving.

I understand that the last string will be loose, but I would like to maintain the maximum amount of tension as possible, would a fixed clamp system hold tension more efficiently compared to flying clamps? I understand that the last string does not have major effect on the string bed, but I string for a few other people and they complain about the looseness of the last string and I cannot convince them that it is nothing to worry about.

YULitle
03-11-2008, 03:15 AM
I understand that the last string will be loose, but I would like to maintain the maximum amount of tension as possible, would a fixed clamp system hold tension more efficiently compared to flying clamps? I understand that the last string does not have major effect on the string bed, but I string for a few other people and they complain about the looseness of the last string and I cannot convince them that it is nothing to worry about.

A fixed clamp system would hold better, and I feel for you having to explain this issue to your customers. I've been there myself. For some reason, a lot of players got it in their head that moving that string is a good way to determine whether their string job is any good. And it is, but only to an extent. Good luck.

diredesire
03-11-2008, 03:23 AM
A fixed clamp system would hold better, and I feel for you having to explain this issue to your customers. I've been there myself. For some reason, a lot of players got it in their head that moving that string is a good way to determine whether their string job is any good. And it is, but only to an extent. Good luck.
YULitle gives some good advice and theory (as usual). The string will FEEL especially loose either way, simply due to the fact that there is less restriction from peripheral strings! It just becomes a fact of life for us stringers. I don't adjust at all for knots, although some people like to pull a higher tension. Fixed clamps will help significantly, but again, the problem is just a fact of life. The key is staying consistent in what you do.

theace21
03-11-2008, 05:51 AM
NO - you snug the string up with the pliers, and wiggle the awl in the grommet hole..AGAIN, this was standard practice in the old wood days, people would break a string and get it patched. You wanted to keep the new tension as close to the original as possible. With old glide bar machine you still had a little slippage...I have a model H with floating clamps, sometimes the fan pattern rackets, I have to clamp far away from the frame. So I know where you are coming from.

You are stressing over something that happens, go check out other rackets at your local sporting goods store.

A new string with fixed clamps is going to be nice, but you will still have this "problem".

The real key is to be consistent and find a repeatable method and use it every time. That is the key to becoming a good stringer...

t0nym4c
03-11-2008, 02:02 PM
I consider myself to be a consistent stringer and because of that the end strings are consistently loose. Haha Oh well hopefully I can convince my customers that they have nothing to worry about the next time around.

03-11-2008, 02:05 PM
I up 5 lbs for last cross. Is that a wrong thing to do?

BTW i have flying clamps

YULitle
03-11-2008, 02:09 PM

BTW i have fixed clamps

The USRSA frowns down on it. I wouldn't call it wrong. I don't think anything is inherently wrong in stringing, IF you are stringing your own racquets. The ends justify the means when it comes to winning matches.

bp_2
03-11-2008, 02:17 PM
If customers are hitting balls off the last main then tension lost should probably not be their highest concern...

bp_2
03-11-2008, 02:20 PM

Sorry, didn't catch this right away. Please disregard my previous post.

theace21
03-11-2008, 04:31 PM
If customers are hitting balls off the last main then tension lost should probably not be their highest concern...

Best advice yet - hit the ball in the sweet spot...or frame it completely for some really unpredictable bounces...

Azzurri
03-11-2008, 04:35 PM
I have strung several racquets with my gamma x-2 stringer. I have notice that on the last main on both sides of the racquet lose a significant amount of tension compared to the other mains. I watched a video on how to tie knots to make up for tension lost, but the last main is still loose. I even tried tightening the last string 5lbs higher compared to the rest of the racquet. I believe that the flying clamps. Can anyone help me? Thanks.

Same thing happened to me a few days ago. Here is what I did and it worked.

I noticed when I was tying my last knot (main) that I had a little to much "slack" left and tried to unknot the gut...no dice, so I had to let it go and the last main was looser than normal on both sides. I even strung it up 3 lbs higher, but it was still loose.

So, the next racquet I just did this; I tightened the last mains a bit more by pulling the string (gently, but firmly since its gut) a little tighter while tying the knot. I did not allow any "slack" prior to the kotting and releasing the clamp...it worked . This racquet stringjob had tighter end mains than the 1st one.

Now when I played them, I felt no difference, so some posters mentioned this and I concur...good luck!:)

nickb
03-11-2008, 04:57 PM

BTW i have flying clamps

I do the same...my machine has a knot function that ups by 5..

Nick