PDA

View Full Version : Racket Searching

Kingofthecourt67
03-10-2008, 09:37 PM
So I have a Prince Hybrid Hornet OS weighing 10.1 oz which is something that I won't use long term. I have tennis elbow which I believe is a result from using full polyester strings. Therefore, I am looking to get a racket that is somewhat heavier and better for the arm, so I don't have to produce all the pace, however, I don't want something too heavy, which I can't handle. Let me say though, I am not well-built.

So here are the rackets that I plan to demo:

Yonex RQ iS 2
Wilson K-Factor Six-One Team
Dunlop Aerogel 3Hundred Tour
Dunlop Aerogel 5Hundred Tour
Babolat AeroPro Drive

I am basically looking for something 10.6-11.2.

I won't be able to demo until another month since my physical therapist wants me to start trying a heavier racket after I build up my strength. Before I was told by my physical therapist not to try a heavier racket yet, I tried out the Yonex RQ iS 2 with Yonex synthetic gut strings; that racket really increased my pace but I was able to get no top spin. Any possible reason for that.

So please tell me which of those rackets are best for people will tennis elbow(I will be using hybrid strings from now) and gives a good amount of top spin and pace. Thanks in advance.

fuzz nation
03-11-2008, 06:31 AM
Wow! You had a really strong recipe for some arm irritation going in that Prince frame of yours - poly in a very stiff as well as very light racquet. That Yonex that you tried out might list as a bit more flexible than the Hornet you've used, but it looks to still be on the light-and-stiff side. That will give you a lot of pop on the ball in comparison to moderate spin generation, so I'd say you could go with something even more flexible.

From your list, the Aerogel 3Hundred looks like a very good option. It has some flex, a little more weight (hardly unmanageable), and a nice headsize. Adjusting your timing to hit with a different frame like that may take just a little while, but with a syn. gut or multifiber string setup, it should be a lot kinder to your arm and you'll hopefully enjoy a more stable racquet (avoid poly!). Also, if you've never tried the TW demo program, you might consider it; it's a wonderful resource for trying different racquets.

the_flying_wallaby
03-11-2008, 06:59 AM
Wow! You had a really strong recipe for some arm irritation going in that Prince frame of yours - poly in a very stiff as well as very light racquet. That Yonex that you tried out might list as a bit more flexible than the Hornet you've used, but it looks to still be on the light-and-stiff side. That will give you a lot of pop on the ball in comparison to moderate spin generation, so I'd say you could go with something even more flexible.

From your list, the Aerogel 3Hundred looks like a very good option. It has some flex, a little more weight (hardly unmanageable), and a nice headsize. Adjusting your timing to hit with a different frame like that may take just a little while, but with a syn. gut or multifiber string setup, it should be a lot kinder to your arm and you'll hopefully enjoy a more stable racquet (avoid poly!). Also, if you've never tried the TW demo program, you might consider it; it's a wonderful resource for trying different racquets.

I agree, the aerogel 3hundred looks like the best choice here, tough i would say to try out th wilson as well, and maybe take a crack at one of the lighter microgel or flexpoint head frames, i.e. instinct, radical, or heat.

Kingofthecourt67
03-11-2008, 07:42 PM
So the less stiff a racket means that is has more spin?

tennisdude083
03-11-2008, 08:03 PM
i switched from the o3 hybrid hornet MP to the aerogel 300 and i think it is a much better racquet. the 300 is quite a bit heavier than the OS hornet, but it is generally considered to be fairly light (mine is like 315g/11.1 oz with overgrip). when you say you are not well built, i assume you mean that you are like, skinny? i am also a pretty skinny dude (5'9",130lbs) and i have no problem with the weight of the AG300. i have found it very easy to produce topspin with this racquet (i usually hit with heavy topspin) and it is also easy to put a good amount of pace behind my shots.

Kingofthecourt67
03-11-2008, 08:37 PM
Skinny and have never worked out before so I lack in strength even though I can generate a decent amount of pace.