PDA

View Full Version : Why is midplus better than oversize racquet?

eric892
03-11-2008, 01:25 AM
Hi

Why do some people say that midplus racquets are better than an oversize racquets. I always think that an oversize racquets have a bigger headsize and that means that you can hit shots and volley better as the racquet headsize is bigger.

Samperer
03-11-2008, 01:39 AM
Then stick to your oversize!! Dont worry what others use and just stick to what feels comfortable, you play well with, and what you enjoy playing with the most!!!

eric892
03-11-2008, 01:45 AM
I just want to know why they say that actually?

Pete.Sampras.
03-11-2008, 02:05 AM
It's probably because a midplus or midsize racket offers a better mixture of control and power (more control, less power) and even more feel for an advanced player. But as already said, use whatever feels good for you. Don't switch to a smaller headsize just because some others do ;)

Supernatural_Serve
03-11-2008, 02:05 AM
I just want to know why they say that actually?Everyone has their own reasons but in general its because they enjoy the feel, control, and consistency that smaller heads give their shots.

They don't need the more forgiving, bigger sweetspot, bigger racquet head, power and spin that comes from oversize racquets especially at the cost of loss of control

Salsa_Lover
03-11-2008, 02:16 AM
I learned to play when I was 12, I played just some months and gave away it, didn't liked it at that time.

then I picked up tennis again. Now with a passion.

So when I just started I picked up a n6.1 tour 90.

The teacher told me. "That racket is too heavy, stiff and small for you, you are a beginner, you need a big, soft and light racket".

Well, for me that racket was big, soft and light compared to the wooden rackets I remembered.

So I kept the nCode and then now I got the K90s.

I have more feeling, control and play better with those rackets. I picked up a 100 and some 95 to try them one but the feeling is different and my shots end all over the place with them. Sure it is easier to manipulate and to get the racket on the ball, but that is exactly the problem I guess.

It is harder to learn on a 90, you need to position you better, anticipate, hit it on the right sweet spot, and have a full fast swing with them. You need to have your technique well to hit it right. But once you hit it, you can really place the ball where you want it and not just where the ball wants to go.

In my case I feel that starting and sticking with the 90 racket was better because it forced me to learn better.

Sure they are heavier so I assume I am tired faster. but I am not a pro player that needs to play 2-3 hour intense matches. I play for fun and I have plenty of fun with the 90's.

Now I just got from the bay 2 PS 85s I am waiting them to arrive this week to give them a try. I'm happy :)

fuzz nation
03-11-2008, 05:13 AM
I guess that nobody really needs to justify good feel in a racquet - when you find a good fit, you know it.

When people make that statement, what they actually need to say is that a midplus is better than an oversize frame for them. That's probably what a lot of those "proclaimers" are inferring anyway.

quest01
03-11-2008, 09:31 AM
Salsa, you should listen to your coach because for a beginner player the N90 and even the PS85s that you ordered are too demanding for someone who just started playing again. You should consider switching to a larger head size.

YULitle
03-11-2008, 09:35 AM
I just want to know why they say that actually?

They mean that it is better for them, or they are just ignorant.

There is no such thing as best in tennis equipment. If there was, we wouldn't have choices. We'd just have that thing in different colors.

ThA_Azn_DeViL
03-11-2008, 09:38 AM
it all just depends on your level, i dont think oversize has an advantage over mid, it just depends how you play and what your preferences are.

ledor
03-11-2008, 10:00 AM
my coach was asked by one of the twelve year old tournament/middle school students about that and coach responded its a better swing thru the air and more stable, more feel. Nothing wrong with oversize, but one day at a tennis shop, the shop owner asked me, what pros use oversize?

kingdaddy41788
03-11-2008, 10:09 AM
Midpluses (sp?) aren't better. They just have more control.
Oversizes aren't better either. They just have more power.
Mids aren't better. They just have way more control.

Hope this helps.

Alafter
03-11-2008, 10:12 AM
It isn't. People are stupid. In fact, I'd like to line up stupid people, take a step back, and then kick their teeth so far down their throat they'd be sticking a toothbrush up their ***** to cleam 'em.

aceroberts13
03-11-2008, 10:16 AM
It's all just a matter of personal opinion. Do your thing.

Sentinel
03-11-2008, 10:23 AM
^^^ v true.
Also, some of us prefer lighter racks and OS's tend to be lighter. Mid's are usually 12 oz or more, and some of us like that weight.

Light rackets they say, absorb less shock and can injure the elbow more. Light racks are head heavy.

Mids and midpluses are typically head light, and again that's a preference for many.

Please see the j011yroger guide to racquet selection. No point in repeating the details here.

RomanStA
03-11-2008, 11:07 AM
I personally think 95 square inches is the best racket head size. Anything over this is too big and quite frankly looks stupid. U shouyld always play with the size that suits ur game and ability. Whatever feels right for you!

Gundam
03-11-2008, 11:27 AM
I have a racquet collection of various head size. One of the smaller ones is head (prestige) classic mid. Fantastic feel when I hit the sweetspot. Pinpoint control. Power? Plenty when I hit the sweetspot. But I know I wouldn't use it for a serious match against a tough opponent. Simply, I am not good enough.

Only oversize racquet I'd use seriously is the POG. But there is a shot I cannot hit with this revered player's oversize sticks. That's a lob. For groundies it's excellent but for lob, I just couldn't control the ball. POGs are very forgiving and have a great spin potential and great control. Maybe I will string it at higher tension for more control.

There are too many factors to think about but I think if we have two racquets of same material, flexibility, stringbed openness, same string tension, we will get more control (feels tight!) with smaller head size, and more power from bigger head size.

icorp
03-11-2008, 05:17 PM
my coach was asked by one of the twelve year old tournament/middle school students about that and coach responded its a better swing thru the air and more stable, more feel. Nothing wrong with oversize, but one day at a tennis shop, the shop owner asked me, what pros use oversize?

Actually 2 champions in men's recent history, Michael Chang and Andre Agassi!

ledor
03-11-2008, 05:23 PM
Actually 2 champions in men's recent history, Michael Chang and Andre Agassi!

yes i forgot to finish my sentence =p

drakulie
03-11-2008, 05:28 PM
Why do some people say that midplus racquets are better than an oversize racquets.

Pete Sampras and Roger Federer.

When you find two guys that are better than them, and use larger frames, you could say larger frames are better. :)

meowmix
03-11-2008, 05:41 PM
Basically, a MP gives me better consistency, and better control. For some reason, I completely spray my shots with an OS. An oversize delivers a lot more power than a MP, and for some, that extra power is too much.

anirut
03-11-2008, 05:57 PM
If you're into tournaments, choose the headsize that helps you win (or lose with respectable scores).

If you're playing for fun, like me, choose the headsize that you enjoy playing with.

Simple?

raiden031
03-11-2008, 06:14 PM
Lets not forget there are two types of OS racquets. There are the game improvement racquets that are head heavy and ultra light. Then there are the OS racquets that are part of the more advanced racquet families such as the Prince POG OS which is still over 12 oz and head light. These aren't bad but might have a little more power or less control and feel then desired.

In my opinion any racquet under 10 oz strung and with a head heavy balance is garbage. They encourage bad technique and promote tennis elbow because they are too forgiving and powerful to require the player to hit the ball properly and like others said they don't absorb shock well.

Salsa_Lover
03-12-2008, 02:03 AM
Salsa, you should listen to your coach because for a beginner player the N90 and even the PS85s that you ordered are too demanding for someone who just started playing again. You should consider switching to a larger head size.

I'm doing quite well so far thanks ! He also wanted me to learn 2hbh instead of 1hbh.

I just switched to a better coach ;)

Petra Martinnen
03-12-2008, 03:35 AM
OS: Agassi, Serena, Venus, Seles, Spadea... A 6.0+ never misshits thus 90% do not need an OS. But you and I (except those who who played NCAA etc.) play a different game completely and benefit from more sweet area and less errors. Many guys have macho need to play with what the big boys use. Gals have little need for that. Have you not all seen how racket size increases on tour? How many now use 100". How many still use 90"?!

If a Roddick uses 100 strung at 70 lbs, YOU should use 110 at 52 lbs!

eric892
03-19-2008, 12:37 AM
I think a midplus racquet suit my game better and I think the PDR+ or Head microgel extreme pro is the ideal racquet for me.