PDA

View Full Version : How stiff does a Head LM Radical feel?

bluetrain4
03-11-2008, 08:00 AM
How flexy (or stiff) does a Head Liquidmetal Radical (midplus) feel? 64 stiffness rating is about midrange and stiffness rating is often different from actual feel.

Thanks guys.

0d1n
03-11-2008, 08:11 AM
When strung right it doesn't really feel stiff. I think it CAN feel stiff if you string it too tightly with a stiff poly (due to a combination of lightish weight and dense string pattern + the poly).
I think something like Gosen Syn Gut 1.22 works just fine in this frame.

bluetrain4
03-11-2008, 08:18 AM
I actually like a slightly stiff racquet (not Pure Drive stiff, but relatively stiff). I also string fairly tight with syn gut, multi, or kevlar/syn gut hybrid (not a poly user), though I have no idea what I'd use in an LM Radical.

fuzz nation
03-12-2008, 11:43 AM
Some frames have a rather gummy feel on contact - not the case with the LM Radical mp. There is just a little give and flexibility in there, but not enough to make it feel flimsy. If you string it up pretty tight, it will feel rather crisp, but I found it to only be harsh on a nasty off-center hit like most other racquets. I'd call it mildy firm feeling with decent feedback.

This frame did fine for me (as well as a buddy who still uses it) with 17 ga. syn gut. He had me do his with Wilson Stamina in the mains and softer stuff in his crosses, but I also strung the oversize version of this Radical with the Prince Problend set - kevlar mains, syn gut crosses - and it was fine for that owner. Yes, the kevlar mains were a few lbs. looser than the crosses. You can get that dense stringbed in the mp feeling pretty firm when you up the tension, but I'm pretty sure I ran mine around 59-60 lbs.