PDA

View Full Version : Hoop compression while stringing

VTChileno
03-11-2008, 08:45 AM
Hey all... Had a quick question for all expert stringers... I recently strung an AeroPro drive with the klippermate, which I've been using for about a year... When I was done I noticed that the frame was slightly rounder than before and about 1/8 of an inch shorter... I understand hoop compression, but this is closer to hoop DEFORMATION... My question is, WHAT CAN I DO TO GET THIS RACQUET BACK TO IT'S ORIGINAL SHAPE?? should I cut the string and let the frame re-expand to it's original shape, or has the frame been compromised by the string job...?? Any suggestions and advise are welcome, THANKS!!!

fantom
03-11-2008, 09:31 AM
I used to experience this also with my old K-mate...especially with OS racquets. If you cut the strings out it will go back to the correct shape.

I believe this is due to the fairly weak 2-point mounting system that the klippermate uses.

max
03-11-2008, 09:36 AM
I'm not entirely sure this phenomenon doesn't happen with all frames. At least one stringer told me it does.

Loco4Tennis
03-11-2008, 09:43 AM
careful, you can seriouly deform the racquet like this
i also tried stringing a racquet that was dented a while back and it completely deformed it to one side
also the tension between the mains and the crosses can cause deformation
i once tried to string mains 10lbs more then the crosses and it made the racquet head look round, it was aflexible racquet so when i cut out and restrung, it returned to normal
i now dont exceed 5lbs difference between crosses and mains because of this
read that racquet deformation like you menitoned can be due to improper mounting, make sure you have the racquet pushed up against the mounting points and clamped tight, get help from klipper mate if your having issues their

i also think that a 6pt mounting system would be better for the klippermate to make it a really good machine, parttly for the issue descrived above, with todays soft frame racquets you really have to be carefull when mounting

samster
03-11-2008, 11:00 AM
Tell us more about the tension of the mains and the crosses.

You probably just need to string the crosses a little tighter next time (2-3 lbs more).

VTChileno
03-11-2008, 11:16 AM
I tension the racket @ 56lbs on both mains and crosses, babolat tour duralast string, 16g... I tighten the screws as tight as possible, but not TOO tight because I don't want to damage the frame... The frame SHOULD have a tiny bit of flexibility to avoid cosmetic shatering... I do a one-piece string job, stringing the crosses from bottom to top... I string 4 mains to the left of the stick, then the 4 mains to the right, and interchange until I reach the first knot, and start working on the last main to the right of the frame before moving on to the crosses...

I've been following this same process since day one... I hope this helps... Thank you all for your responses

Silke1c
03-11-2008, 12:58 PM
I've always been told that you should never ever string crosses from throat to head. You either need to use a different pattern on your one piece job to go from head down or use a two piece string job. Most stringers use a two piece pattern to make it easier to go from the top down. Also depending on if you are using a poly/gut or syn gut hybrid you should up the poundage of your crosses 2-3 pounds and that will help with deformation.

goober
03-11-2008, 01:01 PM
I tension the racket @ 56lbs on both mains and crosses, babolat tour duralast string, 16g... I tighten the screws as tight as possible, but not TOO tight because I don't want to damage the frame... The frame SHOULD have a tiny bit of flexibility to avoid cosmetic shatering... I do a one-piece string job, stringing the crosses from bottom to top... I string 4 mains to the left of the stick, then the 4 mains to the right, and interchange until I reach the first knot, and start working on the last main to the right of the frame before moving on to the crosses...

I've been following this same process since day one... I hope this helps... Thank you all for your responses

Aren't you suppose to do crosses from the top to the bottom? :confused:

Also I would alternate your mains rather than 4 left then 4 right, although this probably isn't a big deal but why take a chance?

I string off a 2 point mount and I have never had any problems.

VTChileno
03-11-2008, 01:20 PM
Top to Bottom or Bottom to Top, either way is fine... some advice one way, other stringers advise the other, but there is no clear rule all stringers follow... I've been stringing for a over year and I've done both ways... I personally prefer bottom to top... but if this is the issue that's compressing the hoop significantly then I'll try another way... any other advice???

goober
03-11-2008, 02:06 PM
Top to Bottom or Bottom to Top, either way is fine... some advice one way, other stringers advise the other, but there is no clear rule all stringers follow... I've been stringing for a over year and I've done both ways... I personally prefer bottom to top... but if this is the issue that's compressing the hoop significantly then I'll try another way... any other advice???

Not trying to be an ***, but none of the professional stringers on this forum or the other main stringing site (GSS) say you should string from the bottom to the top. In fact many of them say it definitely bad for your racquet. You can post this question or more easily do a search if you don't believe me. I pretty sure this is in the Klippermate manual as well but I will have to check when I get home even though I don't string with one, I have their manual lying about somewhere.

The only other issue is how you are mounting the frame. Since we can't see you do it, you may want to check that it is secure enough.

ohplease
03-11-2008, 02:23 PM
Not trying to be an ***, but none of the professional stringers on this forum or the other main stringing site (GSS) say you should string from the bottom to the top. In fact many of them say it definitely bad for your racquet. You can post this question or more easily do a search if you don't believe me. I pretty sure this is in the Klippermate manual as well but I will have to check when I get home even though I don't string with one, I have their manual lying about somewhere.

The only other issue is how you are mounting the frame. Since we can't see you do it, you may want to check that it is secure enough.

Bottom to top can be ok - the true test is whether or not you're seeing hoop deformation. This guy sees hoop deformation with his particular combination of frame, machine, tension, and pattern of choice - but doesn't want to either a) do a search to read up on the topic or b) admit that he might have hosed his frame.

What more can you do, really? Any frame that's gone bottom up for a year on a klippermate is likely done, anyway.

VTChileno
03-11-2008, 05:02 PM
I actually have read on the topic thank you very much (ohplease)... hoop compression is inevitable, and sorry if I wasn't clear, i said it SEEMS like hoop deformation... The hoop itself is still 99.99% identical to all other aeropro drives... the fact that it's 1/8 inch shorter and 1/8 ROUNDER than the other aeropro drives I have makes for the hoop compression... I'm going to cut the strings and try adding 2 pounds on the crosses to see where that gets me, also tightening the screw bolts on the klippermate to get a tighter hold on the stick, hell I might just do a double-piece string job... the racket is not "hosed" buddy, I played with it today and played fine... I'm quite a perfectionist and pretty anal about my equipment, so the slightest difference between them is enough to get my attention... thanks to everybody else for helping out and I'll come back to share the results...

Loco4Tennis
03-12-2008, 04:32 AM
i am in the havit of stringing from Top(head) to Bottom(throat), reasoning is that the head is the softest part of the frame and should be strung first when ever possible,
also, ive read from the manufacturer of the machine i have that you should alternate sides as you string, 1 left, 1 right, when you first start, i might have 3 left before i go to the right side, but once i have 3 on each side, i then strat alternating, ive been stringing some really soft walmart racquets like this, maybe thats why i take so long do string a racquet, but then again the racquet deformation was always a concern with me and i wih i could have a 6pt mounting system to prevent against it

doublefault2008
03-12-2008, 06:09 AM
1 thread about this isn't enough?

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=185435&highlight=hoop+compression+while
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=185436&highlight=hoop+compression+while
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=185437&highlight=hoop+compression+while