PDA

View Full Version : Hoop compression while stringing

VTChileno
03-11-2008, 08:48 AM
Hey all... Had a quick question for all expert stringers... I recently strung an AeroPro drive with the klippermate, which I've been using for about a year... When I was done I noticed that the frame was slightly rounder than before and about 1/8 of an inch shorter... I understand hoop compression, but this is closer to hoop DEFORMATION... My question is, WHAT CAN I DO TO GET THIS RACQUET BACK TO IT'S ORIGINAL SHAPE?? should I cut the string and let the frame re-expand to it's original shape, or has the frame been compromised by the string job...?? Any suggestions and advise are welcome, THANKS!!!

Fedace
03-11-2008, 08:50 AM
ask rafa. his racket is 1/8 inch shorter due to this same problem. he seem to play ok though

Steve Huff
03-11-2008, 08:49 PM
String the crosses about 5# tighter than the mains, or "stretch" the racket prior to stringing.

dancraig
03-11-2008, 09:03 PM
And to help avoid the problem in the future, consider this.
The mounting posts on the Klippermate can have a little play in them, even after the wing nuts are tightened. To get this play out of the equation, rock or tap (with maybe a light hammer) the top of the post inward toward the hoop and then tighten the wing nuts.
I think a little bit of shortening is normal, but this can help reduce it.

cmendez79
11-30-2009, 08:21 AM
Hi,

what did you do??

I have the same problem? Did you tighten the crosses higher the next time??

I use poly and i think because the friction with the mains , maybe I have to go up in the tension more to be equal?

gflyer
11-30-2009, 08:50 AM
I had a similar problem and I was totally freaking out.
See my thread here.
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=273327

Once you cut the strings the frame snaps back in place.
I think it is a typical problem with 2-point stringers.

Edit: I have a klippermate as well.

cmendez79
11-30-2009, 11:17 AM
Gflyer:

Did you fixed your problem by adding 2 o 3 pounds on the crosses?

I strung my hole raquect at 60, should I do the crosses at 62 o 63 to avoid deformation?

Thanks!!

jazzyfunkybluesy
11-30-2009, 11:30 AM
Babolat racquets are poorly made. They stretch and crack, break easily. Also the two point racquet mount is a bad design. A six point mount is better for the raquet.

gflyer
11-30-2009, 12:51 PM
Gflyer:

I strung my hole raquect at 60, should I do the crosses at 62 o 63 to avoid deformation?

Thanks!!

No, I don't. Actually I always string crosses 2lb lower than mains, but I string in the low 50 range.
The only thing I do is that I am always careful when I mount the frame on the stringer.
You want to be sure that the mounting points are snug to the frame so there is no chance of any movement of the racquet.

Ripper014
11-30-2009, 01:31 PM
Gflyer:

Thanks!!

This is not going to work... once the mains are in place... they will hold the racket in that shape (they act as a brace). In the old days I would use some scrap string and put in some cross strings as a brace to hold the rackets shape before I actually started stringing.

lawlitssoo1n
11-30-2009, 04:16 PM
racket is probably warped due to poor mounting on stringing machines, i always found my old babolat pure drive to do that

Loco4Tennis
12-01-2009, 07:00 AM
cut the string asap, to prevent further damage
what strings did you use? and what tension

Bud
12-01-2009, 09:49 AM
String the crosses about 5# tighter than the mains, or "stretch" the racket prior to stringing.

I'm assuming this is sarcasm :)

Bud
12-01-2009, 09:53 AM
I had a similar problem and I was totally freaking out.
See my thread here.
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=273327

Once you cut the strings the frame snaps back in place.
I think it is a typical problem with 2-point stringers.

Edit: I have a klippermate as well.

It has nothing to do with the stringing machine as long as the racquet is mounted properly while stringing. If there is unbalanced tension and the mains are compressing the hoop, the type of machine is irrelevant.

Roddickfan155
12-01-2009, 12:58 PM
yeah before I broke my Pure Drive Team it was strung 4lbs higher than the maximum tension suggests and when I cut the strings off you could literally see the frame expand. If you are concerned about it that much I would say just cut the strings

gflyer
12-01-2009, 01:13 PM
It has nothing to do with the stringing machine as long as the racquet is mounted properly while stringing. If there is unbalanced tension and the mains are compressing the hoop, the type of machine is irrelevant.

maybe I wasn't clear.
I didn't mean to say that it is an intrinsic problem of 2-point mounting stringers.
But with 2-point mounting it can happen more often because it's "easier" to mount the frame unproperly.
at least thats my understanding of the the problem that occurred to me.
I didn't have a tension unbalance and it happened only once.
since then I am always very careful mounting the frame.

cmendez79
12-01-2009, 03:06 PM
This is not going to work... once the mains are in place... they will hold the racket in that shape (they act as a brace). In the old days I would use some scrap string and put in some cross strings as a brace to hold the rackets shape before I actually started stringing.

Can you explain a little more. Yesterday a did again my raquect , i usually do my hole raquect at 60, but yesterday I did the mains at 58 and crosses 62, and I still warped frame, more circular than it should be.

So that didnīt resolve my problem, anything else I can do ?

Also when doing your crosses in a Gamma x-2 , you use 1 or 2 flying clamps?

Thanks

jmjmkim
12-01-2009, 03:24 PM

No, not sarcasm. The rackes do deform as strings are tensioned.

Bud
12-01-2009, 09:56 PM

No, not sarcasm. The rackes do deform as strings are tensioned.

OK, then please explain to us your method for stretching a racquet :shock:

TenniseaWilliams
12-01-2009, 11:22 PM

Perhaps Steve is referring to securing the mounts a little too wide, then gently forcing the hoop up onto them.

SteveI
12-02-2009, 06:12 AM

Hi Bud,

Steve Huff is not joking. I used to own a Klippermate.. experienced the same issue string some frames (Head Radicals.. Twin Tube Model..etc). I called Klippermate and spoke to their top tech and stringer. He explained to me how to "stretch" the racket prior to stringing". It worked.. but I sold the stringer and moved to 6-point Alpha and have never had the same problem since. I do not "stretch" the racket prior to stringing" on the Alpha. This is not a 2-point vs 6-point issue.. it is the fact that "the mounting posts on the Klippermate can have a little play in them, even after the wing nuts are tightened". No Steve Huff was not joking this time.. although he does get few good ones off on TT @ times. :-)

Regards,
Steve

SteveI
12-02-2009, 06:14 AM

From DanCraig: Method explained to me from Klippermate:

"And to help avoid the problem in the future, consider this.
The mounting posts on the Klippermate can have a little play in them, even after the wing nuts are tightened. To get this play out of the equation, rock or tap (with maybe a light hammer) the top of the post inward toward the hoop and then tighten the wing nuts."

Steve

cmendez79
12-02-2009, 09:24 AM
To SteveI,

I have a Gamma X-2, and i have the same problem, deforming Head Radical Titanium.

All I can do next time is to do what you said about the mounting post and go up 2 or 3 lbs on the crosses to get the "oval" shape back to my raquect?

One more question, when you used to do your crosses, you use both flying clamps or just one?

Thank you

SteveI
12-02-2009, 11:58 AM
To SteveI,

I have a Gamma X-2, and i have the same problem, deforming Head Radical Titanium.

All I can do next time is to do what you said about the mounting post and go up 2 or 3 lbs on the crosses to get the "oval" shape back to my raquect?

One more question, when you used to do your crosses, you use both flying clamps or just one?

Thank you

I would try going up a few lbs on the crosses and or do the "stretch" the racket procedure. My problem was that I like to string my crosses a few lbs less than the mains so my only option was to "stretch" the racket. It worked BTW. I use one flying clamp on the crosses. Good luck.. the Head Twin Tube models (Ti Rad is one) are ones that I had issues with. Wilson PS Classics or POGs never had a problem for me. It did depend on the frame in my experience.

Good luck,
Steve

Loco4Tennis
12-03-2009, 04:25 AM
slight hoop compression is normal
i just had 2 similar racquets sitting arround
1 no string
2 polymains, syntcrosses
the strung racquet was rounder and shorter than the unstrung racquet,
i dont know what tension the strung was set to, but this is about what you can expect a racquet goes through when its strung, and or strings are cut, thats why tension differences and cutting string should be very important aspects and not taken litely, porper technique and on cutting and choosing the right tension should minmize permanent damage when the racquet frame goes through this flexing

SteveI
12-03-2009, 05:48 AM
slight hoop compression is normal
i just had 2 similar racquets sitting arround
1 no string
2 polymains, syntcrosses
the strung racquet was rounder and shorter than the unstrung racquet,
i dont know what tension the strung was set to, but this is about what you can expect a racquet goes through when its strung, and or strings are cut, thats why tension differences and cutting string should be very important aspects and not taken litely, porper technique and on cutting and choosing the right tension should minmize permanent damage when the racquet frame goes through this flexing

Hi,

What do you consider normal for slight hoop compression.? 16th, 1/8 iche? 1/4 inch? I used it see a compession of of up 1/4 inch on my Head Twin Tubes when stringing on a Klippermate. I was not happy with that result.

Steve

Loco4Tennis
12-03-2009, 07:39 AM
Hi,

What do you consider normal for slight hoop compression.? 16th, 1/8 iche? 1/4 inch? I used it see a compession of of up 1/4 inch on my Head Twin Tubes when stringing on a Klippermate. I was not happy with that result.

Steve
anywhere in this range is what ive seen on the similar racquets, they were wilson kblades, very notisable difference, but i dont think it was more than 1/4 inch
ive deformed a racquet more than this also, it rounded the frame, very flexible racquet i guess, i cut out the strings and restrung it and it restored the shape, this was a prince os graphite racquet, cheap one also, i actually went to play with it to test it out, the shape was lietrally round, the crosses were 10 lbs over the mains, all synthetic gut if i ican recall correct, that when i stopped incraesing the tension on the crosses by that much from the mains
ive also deformed a cheap aluminum wilson racquet, by not tightening up the posts on the mounting system i guess,
or their could have been some dent on the racquet already that just made it worst by pulling tension on it
i was not able to save this one, it deformed one side of the head near the grommets and the string tension just pulled it even more,
it was one of my first racquets i strung and learned to properly mount and also alternate the stringing on the mains when i string, i dont pull left side and then the right side, i alternate side always now, better safer practise if you ask me, speed NOT a priority for me
all these racquets ive strung with my klipermate stringing machine

SteveI
12-03-2009, 09:57 AM
anywhere in this range is what ive seen on the similar racquets, they were wilson kblades, very notisable difference, but i dont think it was more than 1/4 inch
ive deformed a racquet more than this also, it rounded the frame, very flexible racquet i guess, i cut out the strings and restrung it and it restored the shape, this was a prince os graphite racquet, cheap one also, i actually went to play with it to test it out, the shape was lietrally round, the crosses were 10 lbs over the mains, all synthetic gut if i ican recall correct, that when i stopped incraesing the tension on the crosses by that much from the mains
ive also deformed a cheap aluminum wilson racquet, by not tightening up the posts on the mounting system i guess,
or their could have been some dent on the racquet already that just made it worst by pulling tension on it
i was not able to save this one, it deformed one side of the head near the grommets and the string tension just pulled it even more,
it was one of my first racquets i strung and learned to properly mount and also alternate the stringing on the mains when i string, i dont pull left side and then the right side, i alternate side always now, better safer practise if you ask me, speed a priority for me
all these racquets ive strung with my klipermate stringing machine

In my case.. I was not happy and comfortable with those results. I sold the Klippermate and moved to a 6 point Alpha and have never once seen hoop compression with the Alpha. Just my 2 cents.. I like my frames to come off the stringer the same shape and length as I started with.