PDA

View Full Version : Question for andy roddicks stringer

hummer23
12-30-2004, 01:14 PM
Where did andy get his really long tourna grips? are they XL's or part of a reel that you cut out yourself to suite the racuet. they seem to extend past teh top of the grip and well onto the graphite of the frame. also, how are they secured to his racuqet, there deosnt seem to be any tape holding it on?

hummer23
12-30-2004, 07:02 PM
anybody have any ideas? or is it just me? i think the over grip he uses is unussually long long. even for a tourna XL

andorky
12-30-2004, 07:17 PM
dont know where he gets it from. i wonder if its custom or something because the reel is pre cut.

K!ck5w3rvE
12-31-2004, 09:10 PM
Yeah I was going to say that the reels come pre-cut, the same as the Wilson Pro's. He could get them straight from Unique in non-cut reels.

PrestigeClassic
01-01-2005, 09:40 PM
Are you kidding? Tourna Grip XL is quite long! I can easily wrap a long Yonex L5 handle with length to spare. I still overlap a decent amount, and I don't even wrap tight. Perhaps Roddick's Tourna Grip XL ends right where the replacement grip is finished, so the finishing tape is above the replacement grip's finishing tape. Maybe he uses black tape or something that is the same color as the frame, so you think it's not there. No rocket science here.

I saw a sort of close-up picture of Andy and his racket. He doesn't overlap too much. And wrapping tight wouldn't hurt. And yes, it was Tourna Grip XL because I saw the bulge under the grip where the overgrip started, and it was square.

Even Sampras never got a longer/wider Tourna Grip. If he wanted one, I'm sure Unique could have cut grips larger for the person that was on their packages. Roddick, for the record, probably is not sponsored by Unique (Sampras is still on the packages even after retirement), so I don't think Unique would do something like that for Roddick. Does he even help sell Tourna Grip? Anybody using Tourna Grip because Roddick is?

Does Unique offer uncut reels? Those would be some long sheets of Tourna Grip XL: one grip is 100 cm long, so one sheet for a 15er would have to be 1500 cm long.

Tourna Grip XL is not much longer than Tourna Grip, maybe by just 2 cm. More than anything else, it's wider: 29 vs. 25 mm.

david aames
01-02-2005, 03:55 AM
They are regular Tourna XL but it's quite crafty. I found that the trick is to spare as much as possible near the butt cap and to cut the other end at a sharp angle to minimize the overlaping when getting to the graphite. Hope this makes sense.

BTW, this way of wrapping is quite recent. He was wrapping one handed before (USO 03). Probably Grant idea.

Here is a pic of one of Andy's stick. This is a #4, might be more difficult on a 5...

http://homepage.mac.com/davidaames3/.Pictures/arod.jpg

Where did andy get his really long tourna grips? are they XL's or part of a reel that you cut out yourself to suite the racuet. they seem to extend past teh top of the grip and well onto the graphite of the frame. also, how are they secured to his racuqet, there deosnt seem to be any tape holding it on?

hummer23
01-02-2005, 09:20 AM
yup thanks for the info guys.

schaefferm46
01-02-2005, 07:18 PM
I cut my grips with like 8 inches left

Kirko
01-02-2005, 07:30 PM
tourna-grip comes uncut ; like a spool of thread . The=is is what players like Roddic , Safin, & "Flipper" have access to.