PDA

View Full Version : 2 rackets out 1 set string, only used for mains/crosses?

AmsterdamTennis
03-11-2008, 11:24 AM
Hey all
I have a question about stringing. If i buy 2 sets of strings, and then use 1 for the mains only and the other for the crosses only, am i able to string two rackets out of these two sets then?

Amsterdamtennis

jcstennis
03-11-2008, 11:28 AM
you should be able to.. :) measure carefully!

themitchmann
03-11-2008, 11:31 AM
It shouldn't be a problem if you buy 2 full sets...at least for most racquets. It depends on the lengths you need for mains/crosses.

AmsterdamTennis
03-11-2008, 12:39 PM
Well, it's a Head Microgel prestige MP. I asked this because i think it will be a waste if I have to buy 4 sets of strings just to hybrid them in 2 racket.

AmsterdamTennis

jazar
03-11-2008, 01:29 PM
you need to measure really carefully. i gave it a go in my i.prestige mp one time. i didnt bother measuring the string using a tape measure or anything, i just pulled it all through and then cut once i had done the mains and then the crosses. i assumed i had measured it right and started stringing up the second frame, got to the 7th main on one side and realised i was short. it can be done, but be careful

LoveThisGame
03-11-2008, 06:26 PM
2 sets --> 2 stringings works almost all the time.

One factor is the string length as it is in the set. Don't count on what is stated on the package. It can be longer than stated (good) or occasionally a bit short (likely still good enough).

The other factor is the length need for the main strings. Some largehead frames, like 113 and greater can be a problem, especially for a relatively inelastic string like some polys and Kevlar.

A lot of poly sets are 40' and a few frames need something more than 20'. Some stretchy multis come in 39' (and measure a few inches less) but stretch long enough.

BallBeemer
03-11-2008, 06:58 PM
Make sure you measure closely. I take the two tips of the strings and keep pulling until the end and just cut there.

Casey10s
03-11-2008, 08:06 PM
If the strings for the mains are 40 feet long (cut in half to get 20 feet) and the stringing pattern is 18 x 20, you will have less than 12 inches left on the mains when you pull the last string on each side of the main. I have had to pull the tension as a straight run without using the take-up spool on my stringing machine. I wasn't very confident in tensioning these last 2 strings. I was worrying about breaking this string.

Measure carefully as most people have said.

Another thing to try when doing the mains (may not work very well with polys) is to have some extra string around. When doing the last mains, tie some of the extra string to the end to help get it through the stringing machine. Cut it off before tying the knots.