PDA

View Full Version : Hyogen's Magic Wand Search is finally over!!!

hyogen
03-11-2008, 01:07 PM
Here is my initial hit video with the strings it came with: (pure storm tour)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBSu1mvC7Dg

PT280 serving after a couple weeks:
far view serve: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pU9zaZaA3w
rear view serve: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWm9J4B_tr4
left and right angle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLz8XdQpssI

EDIT: some ppl think I may never be cured of my racquetaholic disease/blaming my equipment, but I swear it's either this Pure Storm Tour or the Pro Tour 280 which I have started to see why a lot of people rave about it on these boards and why there are pros still using this racquet underneath their paintjobs.

OK, so there's no such thing as a magic wand...unless maybe you had Federer's actual racquet :twisted:

After about 6 months of intensive demoing, I have finally dialed into 2 of the same racquet: Pure Storm Tour & Pure Storm Tour Plus. Last night I made my final decision between the two: Babolat Pure Storm Tour Actually, the only thing that really impressed me was my 2 hand backhands with the Plus.

http://oregonstate.edu/~lamontm/tennis/PST%20two.JPG

These are the characteristics this racquet has for me.

1. Enough flex for my very sensitive elbow, but still some stiffness for some great pop. The Plus gave me a little tennis elbow.
2. My best forehand racquet ever I believe. I can crush the forehand, jam people with tons of pace when they're up at the net. Choose which side I want to hit. I can even hit a Nishikori-esque jumping forehand if the opportunity presents itself.
3. Great spin potential (16x20 pattern)
4. Great targeting (98sq inch head)
5. Great plow through. (Close to 12oz racquet). Very stable.
6. Long grip (for 2hbh's). The plus was slightly better for 2hbh...
7. Sweet paintjob
8. Great serving racquet. I served better with the std. length over the Plus. Great spin on 2nd serves.
9. Great for both low and high shots. Easy scoopability for low balls...and plow through for high balls.

I don't expect to switch at all at least for a few years...maybe later I can upgrade if they come out with a new PST and I like it better. I will stay away from demo'ing racquets. Especially racquets I've already tried before, I'm not gonna give a second chance to. I'll just play around with strings and tensions and maybe lead with this PST.

I plan on keeping my Head Classic Tour MP (slightly too heavy for me for serves but sweeeet groundstrokes) (sold to my friend...tried hitting with it again--nice, but still can't serve as well with it as pt280)

Just got a Yonex RDX500 MP for $60 used! I hit pretty much as well for groundstrokes with this as the Classic Tour. Felt just as good as the RQiS 1 Tour, but lighter and easier to swing. I haven't served with it, but I'm sure it'll be easier than Classic Tour. (selling the RDX500)

Waiting for my PT280 to arrive--hopefully this won't sway me from the PST. (yep, it did sway me...PT280 for life now).

Might be getting 2 more original PC660's with suspension grip. (nope, not any more)

Just for kicks I want to get someday...Head PC600, Dunlop Max200g, Wilson Pro Staff 85, and maybe a Head Trisys 260...or twin tube "zebra" Radical. (Nope, no more)

Thanks for all the tips, advice, recommendations, and chastizing for changing equipment so much. Now I can really focus on becoming ONE with my PST.

pasted from another racquet history thread. just for reference ;) These don't include my extensive demo list for the past 8 months.

Here's my timeline of 13 years...

1. wilson black and hot pink Wal-mart frame when I was 12 - smashed it on the floor of my house - can't remember if it was me or my dad who did it. About 13 years ago...wow!

cheap ProKennex racquet from Costco for a short time

2. Prince Thunderlite OS - for several years including all of high school and some of college.

3. Ti.Radical OS short amount of time

4. i.Radical OS a few years on and off--took a break from tennis for the most part (sold about 8 months ago)

while I still had this, I bought and sold a Flexpoint Radical Tour OS...and a Prince Diablo XP OS.

also Prince More Response OS gave these away. Prince TT Bandit OS for a little while

5. Prince TT Warrior OS and MP. Liked the OS the best for serves...all time favorite. got this about 8 months ago---this is what started my tennis craze once again.

6. FXP Prestige Team about 8 months ago I or so.

7. Bumblebee Radical OS Trisys 260 china remake for very short amount of time

8. FXP Prestige Team (again)

bought and sold i.Prestige Mid XL

9. Head Classic Tour MP - loved it except for serves

bought and sold a Prince POG longbody MP. 28"

10. FXP Prestige Team

cousin gave me a M-fil 300

11. nTour Two 95 - short amount of time...very sweet honeymoon phase with a demo I bought.

bought Kblade tour, traded for MG prestige Pro, sold it.

12a. Pure Storm Tour - currently using this still

bought a used RDX500

12b. Pro Tour 280 -- will try out today...hope it's love at first hit <3 (yep, it was)

plan on keeping the pt280 or pst forever. i'm sick and tired of changing and having to adapt.

meowmix
03-11-2008, 06:58 PM
Good luck! Now go out there and deliver some golden bagels :) Hope the PT660's don't sway your opinion:) AGAIN

OnyxZ28
03-11-2008, 07:14 PM
Yeah ... I'm not buyin' it.

jayserinos99
03-11-2008, 07:16 PM
I don't expect to switch at all at least for a few years...maybe later I can upgrade if they come out with a new PST and I like it better. I will stay away from demo'ing racquets. Especially racquets I've already tried before, I'm not gonna give a second chance to. I'll just play around with strings and tensions and maybe lead with this PST.

I plan on keeping my Head Classic Tour MP (slightly too heavy for me for serves but sweeeet groundstrokes)

Just got a Yonex RDX500 MP for $60 used! I hit pretty much as well for groundstrokes with this as the Classic Tour. Felt just as good as the RQiS 1 Tour, but lighter and easier to swing. I haven't served with it, but I'm sure it'll be easier than Classic Tour.

Waiting for my PT280 to arrive--hopefully this won't sway me from the PST.

Might be getting 2 more original PC660's with suspension grip.

Just for kicks I want to get someday...Head PC600, Dunlop Max200g, Wilson Pro Staff 85, and maybe a Head Trisys 260...or twin tube "zebra" Radical.

Thanks for all the tips, advice, recommendations, and chastizing for changing equipment so much. Now I can really focus on becoming ONE with my PST.

Here's the last tip. All those other frames that you have?...SELL THEM. You don't want to be swayed. In fact, don't even bother getting the PC600, Max 200G, Pro Staff Mid, Trisys260, etc. Don't even think about them. Everything you've wanted in a frame (as you said) is in the PST, so stick with it. Good luck.

hyogen
03-11-2008, 07:39 PM
good point. I've just sold my head classic tour to my friend. im listing the ntour2. I don't think I can part with the rdx500.. ill just try the pt280 for kicks then sell. ill take your advice and not buy a pc600, max200g, ps85, and trisys 260 ever :)

Doc Hollidae
03-11-2008, 08:40 PM
Yeah ... I'm not buyin' it.

LOL. I'm at least gonna give him the benefit of the doubt.

TnTBigman
03-11-2008, 08:49 PM
the PT280's are going to sway you.

then the PC660's, PC600, Dunlop Max200g, Wilson Pro Staff 85, and maybe a Head Trisys 260...or twin tube zebra.

keep us updated tho :D

Pleepers
03-11-2008, 09:52 PM
Going cold turkey is tough...trust me...I know :)

hyogen
03-13-2008, 02:08 PM
I returned my 3 demos, and miraculously I did not get any more demos!

I received my 2 Pure Storm Tours from GokuQ. I tried them out yesterday and here is the outcome:

I am going to make a youtube vid just from my first hit with these 2 sticks and will post them up to the original post here.

Not my best hit, but not my worst either. On the butt cap of one there was a sticker by the previous stringer. Signum Poly 56lbs both crosses and mains about 3 months ago. I didn't like this setup at all. Didn't get nearly enough control (spin) and the stringbed felt really dead. I put it down tried it later--still didn't like it at all

My other stick came with a luxilon looking string (smooth)--might have been luxilon, but maybe it was a silver poly from Signum Poly. They were pretty tight at least 55lbs I would say (probably strung higher but lost some tension to around 55lbs). These were the Mains.

The crosses were the same yellowish Signum Pro poly strings. probably around 55lbs.

The setup was much better than the full signum poly setup at low tension. It didn't feel lively but I could generate better control/spin with this setup. Still felt pretty dead and not lively.

I wasn't able to "CRUSH" the forehand as well as I could with the demo with full Luxilon setup at low tension--but it was still better than average.

EDIT: today i hit with this luxilon-like main/signum poly cross again and i wasn't hitting any better--but still hit some nice forehand winners. Even with a bad stringsetup I'm able to hit a nice hard forehand.

I think the demo that I tried before was 50lbs or less...very trampoliny, but still nice--good spin on shots/serves. Felt kinda dead still, esp. the backhand (the demo with luxilon).

Any suggestions?

I'm very interested to try out CAM's setup... Big Banger Alu Power Rough 16L in mains (for control) at 54lbs and Prince Synthetic Gut Duraflex 16 in the crosses at 56lbs (for that POP).

here's a list of pro string setups to get ideas from: http://www.colinthestringer.com/pros-strings/

I am also willing to try out some sort of natural gut setup maybe hybrid. Lots of people here seem to have this cult following with Pro Supex strings...seems like the only reason is b/c TW doesn't offer it, but I guess it's worth a try.

I've sold my Head Classic Tour 660 (tw remake) to a friend -_- He says he's tried several of his friends racquets and always thought racquets were the same...until he tried my PC660 :D

hyogen
03-13-2008, 04:28 PM
Ok, after some research I think I'm going to try out CAM's setup Big Banger Alu Power Rough 16L in mains at 54lbs and Prince Synthetic Gut Duraflex 16 in the crosses at 56lbs.

Shwetty[Tennis]Balls' recommendation of: nat gut mains at 65-67 lbs and alu power rough crosses at 2 lbs lower than the mains.

Also,

and I'm going to be playing around with:

Mains:
Pro Supex Blue Gear 1.28
Pro Supex Big Ace 1.17
Luxilon BB Alu power (rough and others)
Natural Gut (most likely Tonic+) b/c of $$
NXT tour
maybe some cheap 17 or 18 gauge strings

Crosses:
Prince Synthetic Gut Duraflex
Luxilon (somewhat like Federer's setup-lol)
NXT tour
Pro Supex Synthetic Gut SpiralFlex
Pro Supex Synthetic Gut Titan

Hopefully won't be spending more than $20 per month on strings...Just so I don't go insane trying out different string setups, I am setting a 2 month limit trial period for me to try out as many setups as required to find my most ideal setup

iplaybetter
03-13-2008, 04:29 PM
its a nice idea to find the right stick but nomater how perfect you think it is you will alway say what if

hyogen
03-13-2008, 04:39 PM
its a nice idea to find the right stick but nomater how perfect you think it is you will alway say what if

I guess so...but I'm determined to stick with this. don't have the energy to try out new things any more after 6+ months of switching racquets. I will now focus on improving my game

iplaybetter
03-13-2008, 04:41 PM
I guess so...but I'm determined to stick with this. don't have the energy to try out new things any more after 6+ months of switching racquets. I will now focus on improving my game

i am with my 335 and i intend to stick with it, but for all i know i will pick up a microgell prestige and love it, right now that is making me think but hey who knows

vkartikv
03-13-2008, 05:38 PM
The search is truly over only when you discard all other racquets besides the one

hyogen
03-13-2008, 11:42 PM
The search is truly over only when you discard all other racquets besides the one

i'm making progress. i really disliked both string setups my PST's came with...so i started hitting today with my new yonex rdx500. then i put it away after 2 minutes. :) I'm gonna restring my racquets tonight...and be a zombie tomorrow. yay!

EDIT. Just finished stringing up one of my PSTs. I don't have nat. gut, but I do have NXT. I put that in the crosses at 56lbs, and luxilon alu power rough mains at 54lbs--similar to what CAM does--except instead of Prince synth gut duraflex, I used NXT.

I'm gonna stay up and do another...This time it will be similar to Federer's setup. Luxilon crosses, and NXT (close to gut hopefully) in the mains...however instead of 55/52, I'm just gonna try out Schwetty balls' setup which I found on a different thread: "my (Luxilon) crosses @ 58lbs, and my (natural gut) mains @ 60lbs". then i sorta have to write an essay...3 more solid single spaced pages...

hyogen
03-14-2008, 01:40 AM
Shwetty[Tennis]Balls' recommendation of: nat gut mains at 65-67 lbs and alu power rough crosses at 2 lbs lower than the mains.

nevermind, I'm just gonna try what he suggested -_- both NXT and luxilon are known to lose tension fast. this way I'll be able to feel what Shwetty feels after a little while...then what Federer feels after they start to lose a lot of tension :D so 66lb NXT mains, 64lbs Luxilon rough crosses

EDIT: Just did it. WOW, a very firm stringbed indeed. My guess is that this luxilon cross with soft mains will eat up my strings in no time. I still haven't gotten an answer in any thread that I've asked why people put polys in their crosses. to firm up the string bed? can't you do that by raising the tension in the multi/gut mains? Hmmmm... I'm also guessing that Natural gut would last longer in this setup than this Wilson NXT 16.

so far both about $15-setups...ok if I'm gonna string maybe once a month or 2x every 3 months... My thought is that I'm gonna like pro supex blue gear 1.28 a lot... $10 + $3 synthetic gut = $6.50 per stringjob!

As for technique that I'm noticing that I need to work on-- I have much more topspin on my forehands than my backhands. My 2hbh are somewhat flat.

pic of last night (this morning's string jobs). I'm thinking I need something in between these two for stringbed firmness. but then again, my demo with full luxilon was nice and it was very very trampoliny and low tens.

hyogen
03-14-2008, 11:42 PM
ok... so i miss the demo string setup that i had. it was luxilon mains and crosses--pretty dang trampoliny. very low tension...but strings didn't move.

My 2 setups from last night were not that great...very surprisingly, the luxilon rough CROSS at 64lbs and Wilson NXT in the Mains at 66lbs hit MUCH better than the other setup.

This sucked: NXT crosses at 56lbs, Luxilon rough Mains at 54lbs. :'( I thought b/c of the softer NXT strings this would create some ball pocketing as well as the nice spin/bite/power from the Luxilon mains. It was not the case for me.

keep in mind that i only slept about 3.5 hours and didn't feel good all day today. maybe that had something to do with it.

I feel tempted to cut out the luxilon mains setup--and put something else in.

I just picked up some Babolat VS Touch natural gut strings! most likely will not standardize on this as it's so expensive...but if it's a wonder string and lasts me a long time then maybe i can afford it once a month.

Not sure what I should try next... Nat. gut mains, and luxilon crosses? (like Federer's setup). I really questioned the NXT main/luxilon crosses...but i was quite surprised today. It wasn't that great for serves.

Should i try to reproduce the luxilon mains/crosses trampoliny low tension setup that the demo had--that I liked?

I only hit for about 40 minutes today at most. maybe that had something to do with it too--strings not settled in or something.

I guess I should be patient and not cut out my $15~ string job after just 40 minutes..

Ross K
03-14-2008, 11:53 PM
"IN A WHISPERED VOICE": Hey. Have you hit with your new Pro Tour yet?! :)

hyogen
03-15-2008, 12:05 AM
I haven't gotten it yet :( TheRed sent it to me via first class (i told him that it wasn't a rush).

I just put a leather grip on my RDX500...i loved hitting with it with even the old PSGD in there...lacking some weight though I think..

i'm researching right now on what tension I should try my very first natural gut setup ever at.

when I get my pro tour 280, I should probably put nat. gut in there too ;)

I just sold my Ntour 2 on the bay...went for $80+shipping! was 8/10 condition too with clear big photos. that's more than I paid for it :D

hyogen
03-15-2008, 01:28 AM
wow it's 1:30am..

might go downstairs, cut out the luxilon main setup/nxt cross setup--yes it sucked that bad for me...put VS natural gut in there at a lower tension that the other setup... maybe 60 and 58 luxilon crosses.

Or a full VS natural gut job at around 62lbs...yes.

Ross K
03-15-2008, 01:41 AM
wow it's 1:30am..

might go downstairs, cut out the luxilon main setup/nxt cross setup--yes it sucked that bad for me...put VS natural gut in there at a lower tension that the other setup... maybe 60 and 58 luxilon crosses.

Or a full VS natural gut job at around 62lbs...yes.

Hyogen, just leave it alone!... STEP AWAY FROM THE FRAME!... Go and get some rest man, it's late!... dear oh dear ("SHAKES HIS HEAD")...:)

hyogen
03-15-2008, 03:07 AM
yeh...didn't take your advice. now i'm a zombie. but I do have Hantuchova/Clijster's VS Touch gut setup of 58lbs!

I am convinced I should be able to hit better with that than even the decent NXT main/luxilon rough crosses today.

montx
03-15-2008, 03:42 AM
Thanks for your post, its interesting to me someone else has found their magic wand.

For me when I started to play with the BB11 I felt that I picked up excalibur, I was delivering fantastic groundstrokes.

The BB11 is still my excalibur, however, the one thing I didn't get from it was touch. I am a player who likes to drop and lob, and I also have ktour kblade as my drop and lob blade.

The lower staticweight makes it a nice option for me, if I don't want to deal with the heft of the BB, but what I get in touch I lose with stability.

It has become my choice against people who are not heavy servers because of the swingspeed of the racquet and the pin-point precision.

I don't believe in having 30+ of one racquet and I don't believe in having 30+ of different racquets.

I think there is a cost and benefit to different setups and I have 3 setups from 3 different racquets.

I think "some" of the pros do that too, they use different weights on different racquets.

boojay
03-15-2008, 05:02 AM
Don't buy a PS85, Hyogen, because you will love it. Then you'll have to buy another, then another, and so on, and so on. :twisted:

Double Fault
03-15-2008, 05:28 AM
good point. I've just sold my head classic tour to my friend. im listing the ntour2. I don't think I can part with the rdx500.. ill just try the pt280 for kicks then sell. ill take your advice and not buy a pc600, max200g, ps85, and trisys 260 ever :)

I want it.

iplaybetter
03-15-2008, 05:48 AM
sounds far from over

ollinger
03-15-2008, 07:12 AM
Frantic concern over string setup is one of the first signs that panic over whether the racquet is really the one has begun. Every racquet I've ever used for a long time just felt pretty good no matter what I put in it.

joe1987
03-15-2008, 10:18 AM
Soon a wandmaker will come with something better. Oak and unicorn hair anyone?
(*for those still lost, read harry potter)

Two Fister
03-15-2008, 12:33 PM
I like my PureStorm Tours with OG Micro 17 g at 58 lbs (constant pull machine). Very simple set up. No, it's not the Clijsters set up or Federer set up or SwettyBalls set up or Mojo set up, etc. Just plain $1.75 strings that happen to feel great in this racquet.

Give it a try.

hyogen
03-15-2008, 01:05 PM
I like my PureStorm Tours with OG Micro 17 g at 58 lbs (constant pull machine). Very simple set up. No, it's not the Clijsters set up or Federer set up or SwettyBalls set up or Mojo set up, etc. Just plain $1.75 strings that happen to feel great in this racquet.

Give it a try.

I see. if I have a Crank machine, how should i compensate from what everyone else is saying about their tensions?

i'll let you know how these play today:
the just okay NXT mains/luxilon crosses--66/64.

and my new 58lb full VS nat. gut setup in my other PST.

i'm not frantically concerned about string setup...it's just that I don't want the string search to be long and drawn out like my frame search was. I want to get it over with in 2 months at most

hyogen
03-15-2008, 02:47 PM
I posted initial hit youtube vid on OP

it's not necessarily any better than this few month old vid...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq5gYhNSJ34

but I didn't have my ideal string setup when i got it. Hopefully i can hit better soon

Two Fister
03-15-2008, 04:45 PM
I see. if I have a Crank machine, how should i compensate from what everyone else is saying about their tensions?

I believe I read an article on the USRSA (US Racquet Stringers Association) web site that said the average difference in tension after 24 hours of "resting" after stringing with constant pull vs. lock-out machine was about 7%. So stringing on a lock out at about 62 lbs instead of 58 lbs on a constant pull will probably give you the best chance of coming up with similar feeling string jobs. But they also said that they won't be exactly the same. They will still play a bit differently. Not saying one is better than the other. Just different.

hyogen
03-15-2008, 07:40 PM

Give it a try.

I'll have to try that. Gosen right? I think i might have that at home...maybe 16g though.

I just cut out the luxilon cross, NXT main setup. LOL...i tried the setup again today and i didn't have the spin that I wanted.

I dare not cut the natural gut setup--lest I be struck down by lightning for throwing away $35 worth of VS touch strings down the drain that fast. I think I would have liked it more if I had a tighter setup. Seemed to have a little too much power at times and not enough spin

I just restrung it with 50lb Alu rough in mains, Gamma Synthetic Gut 16 at 52lbs in crosses. we'll see how that pans out. The stringbed still seems very firm-- the Luxilon full job in the demo must have been 40-45lbs... I actually got more power and more control/spin with this setup... very strange. Maybe once this setup loses some tension it will play like that demo.

Can anyone look at the video in my orig post and tell me if they think my swingspeed is too slow?

JediMindTrick
03-16-2008, 08:27 PM
WISPERING: The RDX 500 MP and the PT280 are better than the Pure Storm Tour. Why fight it? Let it go.

Cup8489
03-16-2008, 08:46 PM
I'll have to try that. Gosen right? I think i might have that at home...maybe 16g though.

I just cut out the luxilon cross, NXT main setup. LOL...i tried the setup again today and i didn't have the spin that I wanted.

I dare not cut the natural gut setup--lest I be struck down by lightning for throwing away $35 worth of VS touch strings down the drain that fast. I think I would have liked it more if I had a tighter setup. Seemed to have a little too much power at times and not enough spin

I just restrung it with 50lb Alu rough in mains, Gamma Synthetic Gut 16 at 52lbs in crosses. we'll see how that pans out. The stringbed still seems very firm-- the Luxilon full job in the demo must have been 40-45lbs... I actually got more power and more control/spin with this setup... very strange. Maybe once this setup loses some tension it will play like that demo.

Can anyone look at the video in my orig post and tell me if they think my swingspeed is too slow?

GIVE IT UP MAN.

JUST PLAY AROUND WIT EM

my god. i suggest trying TiMO?

hyogen
03-17-2008, 01:28 AM
50lb alu rough in mains, Gamma synth Gut in crosses 52lbs...was better but still what i'm looking for.

I just cut out the crosses while clamping it down on my machine...then put in 44lb gamma synth gut in the crosses.

I would imagine my racquet is fine even though I didn't cut out the mains -_-

Still doesn't seem to have the trampoliny feel that I liked in the demo...may have to go even lower in the mains.

I played best today with the Yonex RDX500 with enduro pro 65mains, 62lb Sensation crosses...but still not great. Lacked pop seriously..

hyogen
03-17-2008, 08:44 AM
From what I saw and what you are trying to work on, your swing speed is fine, you need to work on developing a repeatable and consistent swing that allows you to place the ball for your point setup and to keep you consistent.

For now, I would not be working on swing speed, I would suggest you work on:

1. Ball placement: Hit crosscourt drills until you are blue in the face.

2. Work on a smooth rythmic swing that allows you to put decent pace on the ball, spin, and keep it in play.

3. Work on making clean contact on both sides and transfer your weight consistently and smoothly.

4. Work on your body position to the ball especially on the backhand side.

5. The Basics: head still, bend your knees, use of the non-dominant arm, don't overrotate, etc...

6. Footwork drills: All of them; split-step, step-outs, shuffle, gravity, etc...

7. Racquet head control: In some of your swings, you were a bit too loose on those forehands. Keep the racquet head in control.

8. Shoulder rotation: Rotate your shoulders so both of your shoulders touch your chin. Front shoulder for the backswing, back shoulder for the forward swing.

9. Movement along the baseline: You move sideways. Don't. Move along the baseline in an arching pattern. This is so you can cutoff the more angled balls.

10. Bacskwing: Couldnt really see it based on the angle, etc...

11. Keep learning to hit on the rise.

for my own reference. thanks Bungalo Bill

max
03-17-2008, 08:53 AM
Hyogen: I saw the video; Bill's comments are a great set of tips. You're a good hitter, but fine-tune the body/body positioning a tad and you'll be putting another 10% power in your shots. . . as long as you keep relaxed doing it!

I checked on the feedback on your Babolat frame; sounds like an excellent pick. . . similar in some ways to my Volkl C-9s.

JediMindTrick
03-17-2008, 09:02 AM
50lb alu rough in mains, Gamma synth Gut in crosses 52lbs...was better but still what i'm looking for.

I just cut out the crosses while clamping it down on my machine...then put in 44lb gamma synth gut in the crosses.

I would imagine my racquet is fine even though I didn't cut out the mains -_-

Still doesn't seem to have the trampoliny feel that I liked in the demo...may have to go even lower in the mains.

I played best today with the Yonex RDX500 with enduro pro 65mains, 62lb Sensation crosses...but still not great. Lacked pop seriously..

You have to string the RDX much lower because it's a low power/ high control racquet.

hyogen
03-17-2008, 09:23 AM
Hyogen: I saw the video; Bill's comments are a great set of tips. You're a good hitter, but fine-tune the body/body positioning a tad and you'll be putting another 10% power in your shots. . . as long as you keep relaxed doing it!

I checked on the feedback on your Babolat frame; sounds like an excellent pick. . . similar in some ways to my Volkl C-9s.

Thanks, I definitely need to work on my fitness as well. still have 35lbs+ to lose which I think will make me a bit quicker on my feet. my babolat has been feeling a tad heavy for me lately..

You have to string the RDX much lower because it's a low power/ high control racquet.

ok. i definitely had better luck with the lower tension PSGD strings that it came with... funny thing is, a main snapped near the frame or maybe right at the frame within only an hour or so of hitting. Might have done something wrong or maybe I kinked the enduro pro mains while stringing it.

I think this is what I want... something with tons of spin in the mains (blue gear or something). Strung really loose as well as the crosses. like 45lbs or lower. I really want the ball pocketing feel/trampoliny feel. I've deduced so far that the demo that I liked a lot had lower than 45lbs of tension even...maybe 40 for both mains and crosses with luxilon alu... If I try something like that and still don't like it, there's something wrong here D:

max
03-17-2008, 09:30 AM
Hyogen: I couldn't tell exactly from the video since you had on a black shirt, but my impression was that you had some extra pounds.

You're right about getting rid of it; this should solve the problem. I know I used to gain 10-15 lbs. in the wintertime and it would really impact how I got to the ball and my swing. Interesting that Bjorn Borg was so hung up on keeping the exact weight during his career: concern for stroke mechanics.

hyogen
03-17-2008, 11:12 AM
Hyogen: I couldn't tell exactly from the video since you had on a black shirt, but my impression was that you had some extra pounds.

You're right about getting rid of it; this should solve the problem. I know I used to gain 10-15 lbs. in the wintertime and it would really impact how I got to the ball and my swing. Interesting that Bjorn Borg was so hung up on keeping the exact weight during his career: concern for stroke mechanics.

Yes, I am fat. One really wouldn't be able to tell by looking at me because I have a pretty thin frame. Was 135 when I went to college. Was as high as 165, but came out 155 or so....then in the next year and half I gained almost 50lbs and reached Allllmost 200.

and I've maintained this 195 weight or so for a year and half or more.....

so frickin tough losing it, but I'm down to 190 now. I desperately need to do something about it

Automatix
03-17-2008, 01:48 PM
Hyogen glad to see you've your holy grail... until the next time that is :)

I must say that I wasn't impressed with this frame, too powerful for my taste and a bit too spin friendly I am a die hard 18x20 user :)

Stability was nice... the racquet felt stiffer than TW stated but it could be me... I've played with the RDX 500 Mid, Dunlop MW 200G (90) etc. so I'm used to more flexible frames...

hyogen
03-18-2008, 12:09 AM
YES YES YES! finally I am close to what I want. And it's as I suspected-- the demo which made me fall in love with the racquet had luxilon strings that were so loose that when hitting against my palm I could feel the stringbed cave in quite a bit. It had to have been around 40lbs or even less! lol.

so when I cut out my crosses and kept the Alu rough in the mains at 50lbs....and put new gamma synthetic gut crosses at 44lbs....the result is the closest I've gotten it so far! I think I could use even less tension...

Even though this is low tension, I love the pop and power I'm getting from the string bed...and because the stringbed caves in/cups the ball I am able to rip shots with good topspin on it! Even better than with higher tension!

Anyone experience that before? like really low tension giving you more spin and power b/c it increases the dwell time of the ball on the string bed.. instead of hitting a really tight stiff string bed and pinging off of it.

Next time I'm gonna string my mains with Blue gear and then lower the tensions of both mains and crosses even more.. maybe 47/42. WOOT! That way I can pound away with the racquet and still get tons of spin from the blue gear

Serves today weren't as powerful as what I was serving with the demo, but they were still much better than the last several string setups and I was getting very reliable topspin for my second serves.

Automatix
03-18-2008, 12:44 AM
Just be careful because the stringbed at such low tension could get mushy... well it is a matter of preference I guess... I used to play full poly at 27,5/26,5kg and really liked it, the crispness, the ability to hit as hard as I can... then I tried my friend Pure Control (old one, looong time ago) and it was strun around 24/23kg and I could really feel the ball stayed longer on the strings, the spin etc. However 3,5kg is a big jump in tension so it my feelings could've been that way because I played mostly with 18x20 racquets with poly strings at higher tensions.

I'm looking forward to testing the new Pure Storm Limited...

hyogen
03-18-2008, 12:48 AM
i saw at the golf smith store the older Pure control Team for pretty cheap. was tempted to get b/c it was my racquets predecessor, but i resisted. do u have any experience with that one?

what is 26.5kg converted in pounds? ah, i just converted it: 58.3lbs.

23kg = 50.6

yeah, i'm liking the tension (for this racquet) to be lower than 23kg even! like 20.5kg...

I'm done with the full natural gut setup...58lbs. So I'm just gonna stick the racquet back on the machine, clamp it down, cut out the crosses, and put some gamma synthetic gut or NXT with like 45lbs in the crosses....keep the mains... we'll see how that goes

Automatix
03-18-2008, 03:18 AM
Pure Control is a really nice racquet but as I read your posts you are quite delighted with a somewhat flexy feel of the PST so I don't think you'll like it. You can REALLY feel the stiffness of the Pure Control... it's percise, quite powerful in my opinion, less spin friendly than the PST, decent balance/weight/swingweight... everything is really nice except for the stiffness...

Ross K
03-18-2008, 03:30 AM
i saw at the golf smith store the older Pure control Team for pretty cheap...do u have any experience with that one?
Ahhh, the old Babolat Pure Control! My, just the mere mention of its peculiarly inappropriate name has me conjuring up visions of rocket launchers!...

Seriously, it was my biggest racket disappointment ever. I so wanted to like it, I've tried to get to grips with it twice. And in many respects I did rate it very highly - great topspin fh, thumping serves, and good for my 2hbh. However, along with many others, I could never quite handle its power and stiffness (and I generally like a frame with some good stiffness and oomph as well.) And you can only keep hitting forever long before it's time to move on to a frame with a tad more control. IMO anyway...

Automatix
03-18-2008, 03:45 AM
Sir Ross... the racquet is quite percise and controlable... with apropriate strings :) But I agree (which a wrote above) it is a powerful racquet although it was meant for feel play... Babolat overdid it with the stiffness, combine that with the Woofer tech, 98 sq. inch head and you have a cannon.

But have faith brother! The Pure Storm Limited is on it's way to the TW grounds :)

P.S.: The PST in my opinion is still a powerful racquet, not as powerful as the Control but still more powerful than most similar options you get from other companies.

Ross K
03-18-2008, 04:42 AM
Sir Ross... the racquet is quite percise and controlable... with apropriate strings :) But I agree (which a wrote above) it is a powerful racquet although it was meant for feel play... Babolat overdid it with the stiffness, combine that with the Woofer tech, 98 sq. inch head and you have a cannon.

But have faith brother! The Pure Storm Limited is on it's way to the TW grounds :)

P.S.: The PST in my opinion is still a powerful racquet, not as powerful as the Control but still more powerful than most similar options you get from other companies.

Automatix,

Good Sir, I confess, since those days of fine ludicrous nonsense over on the Babolat Alliance thread a year or two back - those days of course when I wielded the sacred Babolatian 'sword of destiny' (unless my presence was of course required inside the local tavern - which it frequently was!) - I'm afraid I haven't really kept that up to date with all the new Bab rods. However, if the PST is the one that was meant to be like a PC but less powerful (or like a Pure Storm but with more heft and oomph), then that's one rod I would still be interested in hitting around with some time. Tell me young Auto, quite how highly do you appraise said sword?

Automatix
03-18-2008, 06:38 AM
For me it is a good improvement over the PC... it is very similar but softer, less powerful but not as much as I'd like it, it also swings a tad heavier... I'd say think about the PC but softer and you'll have the PST, not really a breakthrough but a fairly good attempt to make a more forgiving and arm friendly PC... still not my cup of tea, the PST is still more powerful than Dunlops 200 series etc.

I hold high expectations with the Pure Storm Limited... 95sq. inch + 19mm + 65 stiffness should give this stick the desired low power and better feel...

Salutations! :)

hyogen
03-18-2008, 08:45 AM
so as I've posted a few posts up that I really like a LOW tension in this PST frame... what do you think your experience would be with the PST (pretty powerful frame--but flexible) with such low tension?

funny thing is i'm getting better control like this... good pop and better spin. i guess it works for me, but just curious to see what others might think.

Automatix
03-18-2008, 02:31 PM
so as I've posted a few posts up that I really like a LOW tension in this PST frame... what do you think your experience would be with the PST (pretty powerful frame--but flexible) with such low tension?

funny thing is i'm getting better control like this... good pop and better spin. i guess it works for me, but just curious to see what others might think.

Well it all depends on your roots (previous racquets) and your game... if you play a more precise game but from the baseline you would surely benefit from this setup... however I'm an all-rounder with about 50-70% s&v game (depends on the playing style of my opponent) and play relatively flat so I don't need that kind of power but really need the control for precise ball placement especially at the net...

hyogen
03-18-2008, 02:48 PM
Well it all depends on your roots (previous racquets) and your game... if you play a more precise game but from the baseline you would surely benefit from this setup... however I'm an all-rounder with about 50-70% s&v game (depends on the playing style of my opponent) and play relatively flat so I don't need that kind of power but really need the control for precise ball placement especially at the net...

that's interesting that you'd say that. b/c I definitely like to play from the baseline and like to hit passing shots or go for the corners/inside out shots/down the line, etc. I love finishing a shot when my opponent hits a short ball by move up and taking a big swing to hit it to a corner as well.

so this very low tension setup suits my game eh? woot :D

hyogen
03-19-2008, 10:08 AM
so i played again yesterday -- the 50lb luxilon main/ 44gamma synth gut cross worked pretty well again. Almost bageled my friend who beats me 9 times out of 10. LOL...I kinda got careless and let him hold serve so I won 6-1....

so my serves were on and groundstrokes were better than when we were rallying.

I still feel I can use a bit more pop so I don't have to muscle the ball more. My shoulder is a bit sore. Another problem could have been a dirty and worn overgrip. I put on a fresh wilson pro overgrip and it made a pretty big difference. B/C the racquet wasn't twisting at all upon impact.

when I got home I decided to tighten the other frame in my machine and then cut the crosses. I don't think that was a good idea...lol. I could see my frame expand a little as I cut out the Natural Gut mains. poor natural gut.... It probably would have been better for my frame had I just cut them out without the frame being clamped.

I can see now why people say it's BAD to just cut your crosses or mains and keep using the other mains/crosses.

I won't be doing that anymore....but I had to cut it all out-- restrung with 45lb Wilson Enduro Pro 17, and crosses with 42lb Gamma syn gut 16.

We'll see how this goes, but AGAIN, doesn't seem as trampoliny as my beloved demo setup had.

hyogen
03-20-2008, 12:13 AM
the 50lb luxilon main/ 44gamma synth gut cross worked pretty well again.

45lb Wilson Enduro Pro 17, and crosses with 42lb Gamma syn gut 16.

so the setup from before still worked great today. I would say a little bit better than my newest string job from last night (the enduro pro/gamma syn gut).

I think it's because the luxilon is giving me a little bit more pop (at least for now).

I still wish I had more pop and may try some strings that allow for more pop... PSGD perhaps... pro supex Titan maybe.. or just some softer multifilament like NXT tour for the crosses. I still feel I can use even lower tension. 40/40? haha...does ANYONE do that besides me? I heard McEnroe strings somewhere in the 40s...

HeadPrestige
03-20-2008, 10:28 AM
so the setup from before still worked great today. I would say a little bit better than my newest string job from last night (the enduro pro/gamma syn gut).

I think it's because the luxilon is giving me a little bit more pop (at least for now).

I still wish I had more pop and may try some strings that allow for more pop... PSGD perhaps... pro supex Titan maybe.. or just some softer multifilament like NXT tour for the crosses. I still feel I can use even lower tension. 40/40? haha...does ANYONE do that besides me? I heard McEnroe strings somewhere in the 40s...

I am really surprised you are feeling that your need more pop. When i used the PST strung with pacific x force 18s (mains) and powerline (crosses) at 53... i found the power overwhelming.

jcstennis
03-20-2008, 10:57 AM
with my old Pure Controls, i used Pro Supex Big Ace and loved it, so when the PST came out, i got one and put BA in it... full job! now, i did not stick with the PST, but for what it's worth, the red BA 1.25 around mid tension played nice in that stick... but i eventually wanted to cool down the power and flex in the hoop, so i strung it with Cyber Flash 1.25 full job, mid +3 and that turned the PST back into a more control type stick... go to the Pro Supex Initial hit thread and look for PED, he has PST's and has strung them every which way... including all types of Pro Supex string!

enjoy!

hyogen
03-20-2008, 11:08 AM
I am really surprised you are feeling that your need more pop. When i used the PST strung with pacific x force 18s (mains) and powerline (crosses) at 53... i found the power overwhelming.

i'm getting good power, but the thing is, I feel that the control is really good so I could use more pop even. Like I'm able to take a huge swing and aim for the lines. I think a little more pop wouldn't hurt and would not be overwhelming at all. 18's do have more power right?

as you can see in my videos, my timing is pretty good, my weight is in a lot of the shots although not all. and my swingspeed is pretty fast. so what i don't get is why am i wanting/needing to string so low?? 40-45lbs?! And I'm getting enough spin to tame the ball... i think it's the longer dwell time on the strings/cupping of the ball allowing for more spin..

hyogen
03-21-2008, 09:51 AM
i've finally experienced that crossover point where I just know my strings aren't lively any more. bah... I'm gonna give the full alu at looow tension one try (just like the demo),

then might move to soft multis. My wrist and shoulders are sore from wielding this PST for a couple hours each day of this week..

hyogen
03-23-2008, 03:11 AM
Alas, after a week of hitting every day for a couple hours and 4 hours on Thursday night, my shoulder is spent and elbow is throbbing a little. it's not as bad as it can be if I use like a Pure Drive, but I think I need to stay away from polys...if the problem persists with multifilament/synthetic gut hybrid--i just might have to ditch this.

my PT280 was shipped to the wrong addy :( so I still haven't gotten it. have sold my Classic tour (my best groundstroke racquet--but not my best serving/volleying)... just sold my Ntour-2 as well. my need to sell my RDX500 and one of my PSTs... need the $$ right now :x

hyogen
03-23-2008, 10:05 PM

am restringing my rdx500 b/c strings broke the first couple hours that i used the rdx500... I lacked pop last time so I'm stringing it lower: gamma synthetic gut 16 mains at 55lbs. Gamma TNT2 fat core crosses at 53lbs. we'll see how that goes.. I removed the leather grip and put the stock one back on.

hyogen
03-23-2008, 10:39 PM
so when I cut out my crosses and kept the Alu rough in the mains at 50lbs....and put new gamma synthetic gut crosses at 44lbs....the result is the closest I've gotten it so far! I think I could use even less tension...

so for this setup I cut my gamma synth gut crosses and kept the alu rough mains. then put alu rough for the crosses at...36lbs... LOL.

Pretty trampoliny, but STILL not as trampoliny as the demo which I fell in love with....WOW...what the heck? I would imagine that my mains are around 36lbs if not lower.

for my other stick, I had enduro pro 17 mains at 45lbs, I kept those, and cut out the gamma synthetic gut at 40lbs....and put in Gamma TNT2 Fat core crosses at 38lbs... for this stick, I also added a bunch of lead near the buttcap to make i a few more points headlight... I think I moved the balance point a least about a centimeter or so...so that is about 3 points more head light I think.

We'll see how this goes. meanwhile, I wait for my PT280...and if the PST continues to give me shoulder/elbow problems (although not as bad as Pure Drive)....I think I'll be switching to the PT280 for good. I just have a good feeling about it...I think it'll be like the classic tour...but just a little bit more like what I want.

sigh...

iplaybetter
03-23-2008, 11:01 PM
ok i am glad that i dont have a lot of sticks and random string, my blacked out customized PD is enough if a "for fun stick"

Ross K
03-24-2008, 12:53 AM
..I think I'll be switching to the PT280 for good. I just have a good feeling about it....

OMG!... I know I also have tried out a few different rods, but... seriously... isn't this getting out of hand now?! I'm not saying that the PT won't be 'the one' (though I've told you mine and a lot of other less than highly advanced level ppl's issues with it being too low powered.) However...

FWIW, it took me a very long time to realize exactly what it was that, as predominantly a b-line player of a certain level, I liked and required in a frame... the particular qualities that I personally must have above all others and that relates to my game as it is (and not as I'd like it to be or as it suits others.) For me, these 'qualities' number no more than 4 or 5, and are closely related. And... crucial to understand... they come at a price.

By which I mean, if, for example, I like a good heft and stability (as I do), I'm possibly not going to end up with the most light-through-the-air, manouverable frame in existence... or... if (as I do) I like a frame with a pretty high power level (and especially in the serve dept) it won't neccessarilly be the most control orientated stick out there... or... etc, etc, etc.

So... (and I really don't mean in any way to p*** you off or antagonize you with this, but I've just noticed this 'search' seems to have no end and is becoming, well, unfunny)... make your short list of qualities you absolutely have to have, then maybe post asking for advice about such frames.

Just an idea!

Ross

nickb
03-24-2008, 04:49 AM
Your frame must be looking a bit funny after having the crosses cut out many different times and replaced with other strings at random tensions..

jackcrawford
03-24-2008, 06:49 AM
Your frame must be looking a bit funny after having the crosses cut out many different times and replaced with other strings at random tensions..Please donate that frame to a local charity thrift shop rather than selling it on the boards when you're done with it:) Also, along the same lines as Ross said, when I found I loved poly - I stated with a full Focus Hex job and now have a Silverstring hybrid - I decided to look for a frame that would fit the feel and spin potential of these strings, rather than a string fitting the frame. I now have the Flexpoint Instinct which with Silverstring in the mains and a synthetic gut cross both at 50 # gives me the feel and performance I want; my old O3 red and Volkl V1 just felt too stiff with these strings although they hit well. Don't necessarily give up poly if you love the feel - maybe try a not-to-stiff frame with a little more pop than the old Head you're talking about - the Microgel Prestige Pro strung low might fit the bill. Good luck.

Cup8489
03-24-2008, 07:10 AM
wow...this thread's title is fast becoming pointless...

dude, just play with a certain setup for a while...get used to a stiffer stringbed...i can't even imagine playing below 56 lbs tension..and your down into the 30's?!

hyogen
03-24-2008, 08:23 AM
Sorry I feel your frustration, but the PST has everything that I'm looking for. at around 40-45lbs I really like it with a full poly setup. However, after a full week of playing with it every day, there is a small nagging pain in my shoulder and elbow. I think this could get worse if I don't do anything about.

I gave myself 2 weeks to find a string setup that I will stick with. I've already tried natural gut at 58lbs and didn't like it. May have to go with a softer multi.

I won't embarrass myself any further if I do decide that the PST is not healthy for my arm and won't drag you guys along in my seemingly endless search. I've come close to finding THE one.

Ross K
03-24-2008, 10:34 AM
Hyogen,

"Hypocrite alert!"...

Out of curiosity, I ended up playing with a different frame today - with alarmingly good and revealing results. :???: (Shall post later about this in the PSC 6.1 Opinions thread.)

Please ignore my earlier post!... OMG!... I think I need help more than you!...

HeadPrestige
03-24-2008, 10:49 AM
Sorry I feel your frustration, but the PST has everything that I'm looking for. at around 40-45lbs I really like it with a full poly setup. However, after a full week of playing with it every day, there is a small nagging pain in my shoulder and elbow. I think this could get worse if I don't do anything about.

I gave myself 2 weeks to find a string setup that I will stick with. I've already tried natural gut at 58lbs and didn't like it. May have to go with a softer multi.

I won't embarrass myself any further if I do decide that the PST is not healthy for my arm and won't drag you guys along in my seemingly endless search. I've come close to finding THE one.

Hyogen.. the PST is a very comfortable racket-- and should not be causing elbow/ shoulder problems. I would check your technique before you switched rackets. You seem to love to blame your equipment for all your shortcomings.

Doc Hollidae
03-24-2008, 11:02 AM
First of all you're destroying your rackets......

Like I've said before, you're really never going to find what you like with all the constant customization and what not.
Random string tensions with random additions of lead tape combined with a leather grip at times and a synthetic grip at others, really won't give you much insight as to what feels good and what doesn't.

Honestly, it's time to take some lessons. Talk to the Pro about racket choices or even a pro shop owner. The Pro will be the better option since he'll be able to see your strokes and suggest accordingly. If you're stringing your rackets at sub-50 lbs. in a Babolat racket and still looking for more pop, the PT280 is a step in the wrong direction. A very big step at that.

I understanding trying out different rackets is fun and collecting classic rackets can be a great hobby, but if you are serious about tennis like you claim to be, you'll quit messing around with your equipment and concetrate on your game. You might be surprised, taking lessons and working on technique might save you some money and fix your wrist/shoulder issues.

hyogen
03-24-2008, 11:03 AM
Hyogen.. the PST is a very comfortable racket-- and should not be causing elbow/ shoulder problems. I would check your technique before you switched rackets. You seem to love to blame your equipment for all your shortcomings.

have you looked at my video? it's on the orig. post.. does it look like to you that i have some huge technique problem which is causing my problems? I wouldn't be so quick to judge. I think I have relatively good technique which allows me to hit pretty consistently and have good shot placement. obviously not as good as a pro.. my main problem right now I would say is fitness..

PST is not a VERY comfy frame. i know because I've used many other more flexible frames that clearly have a lower stiffness rating. like 55-60. The PST although it may be about 63 strung according to TW, it is rated at 68...

there are tons of racquets which give me 0 problems whatsoever... I just thought I would love this PST b/c of the extra pop (due to the added stiffness) that it had.

I'm not gonna ditch the PST right now...i did average like 4-5 hours of sleep per night last week. That might have something to do with my very small arm pain...might just be soreness too-- I usually don't play every single day. So, yeah I'm still gonna tinker around with it. I put on a leather grip on one and some lead on the other b/c I think I could benefit from the head being more wanting to whip around.

wow, I'm starting to sound as defensive as Gee Willikers Batman! anyways, it's ludicrous to think that equipment has nothing to do with anything. The people who don't have problems with either a stiff or flexible racquet and think it's because their technique is perfect....just don't know what it's like to have a weak/sensitive elbow/arm.

by the way, I'm not trying to disrepect any of your guys' opinions...but for me at this time it's impossible to take lessons due to financial constraints.

spending $50 here and $100 there every month or so is easier for me at least than committing to a tennis pro to take regular lessons. The $50 here and there I spend can be recovered if I sell the racquet, or whatever.

SFrazeur
03-24-2008, 12:48 PM
Hyogen,

Have you stopped, or at least paused to consider that the constant string and tension changing can be casuing you pain? There are weight differences between different strings and setups that can can effects weight balance and feel of a racquet. The body, muscle memory, likes consistancy. The body also likes rest. You are probably stressing your body with all the havoc behavior. The mind has a great effect on the body. How much do pros in your area cost? You are willing to possibly spend $50-$100 a month on strings, a cost you will will never recover, but you will not see a pro that could possibly effect permanent, positive change for the same money?

My suggestion is to take a week off: calm down, get some more sleep, don't stress over string setups, don't tinker, don't think about ways to go about tinkering. Just take things easily, but most of all step back and in a few days get a refreshed perspective of what is going on.

-SF

Ross K
03-24-2008, 03:48 PM
Hyogen,

"Hypocrite alert!"...

Out of curiosity, I ended up playing with a different frame today - with alarmingly good and revealing results. :???: (Shall post later about this in the PSC 6.1 Opinions thread.)

Not joking around now... although indeed enticing on several levels, the thing is I'm not actually going to be making the major error of switching to the frame I played well with today. I happen to believe you have to be extremely cautious in such circumstances.

Plus also, if truth be told, many ppl on these boards often experiment with other frames. However, they don't choose to expansively broadcast such info unless and until they are certain it shall be their new no. 1 frame.

Anton
03-24-2008, 10:53 PM
have you looked at my video? it's on the orig. post.. does it look like to you that i have some huge technique problem which is causing my problems? I wouldn't be so quick to judge. I think I have relatively good technique which allows me to hit pretty consistently and have good shot placement. obviously not as good as a pro.. my main problem right now I would say is fitness..

PST is not a VERY comfy frame. i know because I've used many other more flexible frames that clearly have a lower stiffness rating. like 55-60. The PST although it may be about 63 strung according to TW, it is rated at 68...

there are tons of racquets which give me 0 problems whatsoever... I just thought I would love this PST b/c of the extra pop (due to the added stiffness) that it had.

I'm not gonna ditch the PST right now...i did average like 4-5 hours of sleep per night last week. That might have something to do with my very small arm pain...might just be soreness too-- I usually don't play every single day. So, yeah I'm still gonna tinker around with it. I put on a leather grip on one and some lead on the other b/c I think I could benefit from the head being more wanting to whip around.

wow, I'm starting to sound as defensive as Gee Willikers Batman! anyways, it's ludicrous to think that equipment has nothing to do with anything. The people who don't have problems with either a stiff or flexible racquet and think it's because their technique is perfect....just don't know what it's like to have a weak/sensitive elbow/arm.

by the way, I'm not trying to disrepect any of your guys' opinions...but for me at this time it's impossible to take lessons due to financial constraints.

spending $50 here and $100 there every month or so is easier for me at least than committing to a tennis pro to take regular lessons. The $50 here and there I spend can be recovered if I sell the racquet, or whatever.

Man just stick with the PSTs for the summer - its a solid frame, it fits you gameplay, you seem to enjoy hitting with it, the rest will work itself out.

Any racket can give you TE, especially if you aren't accustomed to the weight, are playing many hours a day and don't rest properly.

hyogen
03-24-2008, 10:55 PM
Man just stick with the PSTs for the summer - its a solid frame, it fits you gmaeplay, you seem to enjoy hitting with it, the rest will work itself out.

Any racket can give you TE, especially if you aren't accustomed to the weight, are playing many hours a day and don't rest properly.

yeah, i'll most likely do that. either that or the PT280, or none at all. lol

Anton
03-24-2008, 11:09 PM
yeah, i'll most likely do that. either that or the PT280, or none at all. lol

I don't think PT 280 will fit your game style well - you don't have the fullest of swings, not too big on weight transfer on the forehand side, not too big on S&V - it will be too much work for you and not much pay.

jayserinos99
03-25-2008, 12:50 AM

I wouldn't call it a huge problem but someone else posted it before...you need to relax your swing somehow. I can't pinpoint it but your swing seems forced (on both sides, fh and bh). One video to look at a nice relaxed rally is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxhnYlDNmQI

What I really like about his strokes is that he gets good 'drag' (especially on his fh). He whips the racquet through using his core and he stays balanced and his strokes are 'anchored' meaning he's not rushing through his swing and not over-rotating.

Of course the other rally that looked really relaxed is that one Nadal/Robredo rally as well (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8FoCRbd8bg).

I would have to disagree with you. The PST was muted enough to be fairly comfy...of course it's no PT630 or PC600 but as far as Babolats go, it's pretty good. When I used the frame however, it didn't really stand out for me and I might as well stick with the PT630.

Just curious as I haven't kept up with this thread, but how long have you had the racquet stock? I'm assuming that you very quickly started to add leather and lead and tinkered with tension and strings.

wow, I'm starting to sound as defensive as Gee Willikers Batman! anyway, it's ludicrous to think that equipment has nothing to do with anything. The people who don't have problems with either a stiff or flexible racquet and think it's because their technique is perfect....just don't know what it's like to have a weak/sensitive elbow/arm.

I definitely know what a sensitive arm is about. I used a PSC6.1 with kevlar at 65 lbs. for a while and that was what started it all.

Take into consideration that if you drop $50-70 for a lesson per week with a pro, you can fine tune what your game needs and then work on it yourself. You seem like the type to want to improve and what better way than to get really good tips from a pro?

As for the financial constraints, I think I get what you're saying but I also think that at this point SFrazeur has it right...

Hyogen,

Have you stopped, or at least paused to consider that the constant string and tension changing can be casuing you pain? There are weight differences between different strings and setups that can can effects weight balance and feel of a racquet. The body, muscle memory, likes consistancy. The body also likes rest. You are probably stressing your body with all the havoc behavior. The mind has a great effect on the body. How much do pros in your area cost? You are willing to possibly spend $50-$100 a month on strings, a cost you will will never recover, but you will not see a pro that could possibly effect permanent, positive change for the same money?

My suggestion is to take a week off: calm down, get some more sleep, don't stress over string setups, don't tinker, don't think about ways to go about tinkering. Just take things easily, but most of all step back and in a few days get a refreshed perspective of what is going on.

-SF

QFT.

I don't think PT 280 will fit your game style well - you don't have the fullest of swings, not too big on weight transfer on the forehand side, not too big on S&V - it will be too much work for you and not much pay.

I would have to disagree somewhat with this statement...I think that if Hyogen relaxed his swing and let the racquet do the work, it could result in a heavy ball.

Ross K
03-25-2008, 03:34 AM
jayserinos99,

I really liked that vid of the guy rallying v/much indeed. Don't know about Hyogen, but I could certainly do with some of that relaxed yet rhythmical style!... Yep, I think I'll be watching that quite a few more times... but... I do have actually have query for you...

Could you please go into detail re what you mean exactly when you mention he gets good 'drag'.

Cheers

R.

Anton
03-25-2008, 05:02 AM
I would have to disagree somewhat with this statement...I think that if Hyogen relaxed his swing and let the racquet do the work, it could result in a heavy ball.

if he would just relax his swing the ball wouldn't go anywhere because, again, he doesn't use a full swing and he doesn't do a lot of weight transfer. He relies mostly on the arm to make power.

Yes, IF he would play differently the frame would suit him better, but thats not his stroke now.

jayserinos99
03-26-2008, 12:07 AM
jayserinos99,

I really liked that vid of the guy rallying v/much indeed. Don't know about Hyogen, but I could certainly do with some of that relaxed yet rhythmical style!... Yep, I think I'll be watching that quite a few more times... but... I do have actually have query for you...

Could you please go into detail re what you mean exactly when you mention

Cheers

R.

Hey Ross, when I think 'drag' I think 'whip'. The first video I posted, the guy in the foreground has a real nice fh b/c he is relaxed and whips through his fh. One aspect when I watch a whipping fh is a slight lag which initiates the whip. 'Drag' is a word that I describe for that initiation.

jayserinos99
03-26-2008, 12:14 AM
if he would just relax his swing the ball wouldn't go anywhere because, again, he doesn't use a full swing and he doesn't do a lot of weight transfer. He relies mostly on the arm to make power.

Yes, IF he would play differently the frame would suit him better, but thats not his stroke now.

I didn't expand on my initial statement but you nailed it. Since it seems that he doesn't utilize the entire kinetic chain then yes, the PT can be overwhelming. But I'm an optimist and if he does utilize more of his legs and core instead of only arming the ball, then the PT can be a beast of a frame to use.

Anton
03-26-2008, 08:51 PM
I didn't expand on my initial statement but you nailed it. Since it seems that he doesn't utilize the entire kinetic chain then yes, the PT can be overwhelming. But I'm an optimist and if he does utilize more of his legs and core instead of only arming the ball, then the PT can be a beast of a frame to use.

I think of heavy midsize flexible frames as being better suited for some one with a more classic closed stance and eastern to semiwestern grip.

The more powerful, stiffer, lighter frames I'd recommend for someone with a more open stance and semi-western to western grip.

To me, it seems that Hyogen's game will be easier evolved towards the "modern" strokes, the second type of racket.

dgoran
03-26-2008, 09:24 PM
Hi Hyogen

I am sorry to hear about your arm and I sympathize with you because constantly demoing rackets for almost 2 weeks now gave me a mild biceps/forearm and shoulder pain depending on a stick. I really believe like what some of the posters were saying that constantly changing weight of the racket and of course different setups in strings and tension caused this. I firmly believe Head Prestige Microgel Pro gave me biceps and forearm pain and than it kind of lingered on in there from stick to stick.

the reason I am posting however is that I just demoed Pure Storm Tour and it is the best stick I have tried so far. YOU WERE RIGHT it really is that good.

I will give APD Cortex a shot (I still have to demo that one since I really liked it in the past.) but I believe my search is over as well.

Wow PS Tour is really good stick. It really suits me. I found it very similar to MG Head Prestige MidPlus just more maneuverable, better spin and sick serve.

You actually brought my attention to this stick with this thread so I kind of feel like I have to thank you.

I hope it works out for your arm.

Ross K
03-26-2008, 11:24 PM
jayserinos99,

Just to say I was v/interested in your 'drag' or 'lag' comments and that I posted a thread about it in 'tennis tips' section ('lag on fh takeback'.) If you feel so inclined, it would be great if you could repeat what you said here (and maybe stick up vid) or add to the comments some more. Cheers R.

Sorry H - don't mean to jack your thread (couldn't get word to Jay any other way cos he doesn't allow email access on profile.)

hyogen
03-26-2008, 11:30 PM
no prob.

best of luck to you dgoran. I agree the MGprestige pro gave me bicep/elbow problems as well... you should try the PST with LOW tension...like 40-45. I love it. for me it gives me great power and great spin as well. You may think it will be uncontrollably too powerful, but you get goood spin b/c of the increased ball pocketing with this low tension. I do think my arm hurting a little bit (not as bad as hardcore tennis elbow which I am susceptible to...) was due to playing a lot and with lots of different string setups. that and I'm not used to hitting with poly.

for now I NEED to sell one of my two so it's up on the bay. I just received my PT280 today and had purchased another from the same guy, but he was kind enough to refund me for that one b/c of my unexpected financial strain. I plan on purchasing it from him later. due to this strain I have put up my new bag for sale, my last remaining Oakley sunglasses, my extra laptop (tablet PC)...and once I sell those I think I'll be even... (stupid stupid overdraft fees.....raped me)

I really like the PST, fits my game overall...I have great hopes for the PT280. It's either the PST, pt280, or nothing. :)

Anton, I realize you may be right, but for my sensitive elbow I need a flexy frame. I can play really well with the classic tour...but i didn't play around with the balance/swingweight at all for me to hit better serves with that racquet. I hope that the PT280 will be similar and I want to make it work.

Ross K
03-26-2008, 11:54 PM
Hyogen,

Just out of interest, 2 Q's for you...

1. Of all the frames you've tried (even if you weren't so keen on it/them for other reasons), which frame/frames did you have the most success with in terms of performance & results?

2. Which frame/frames did you feel most confident with... the most like "Holy s****! This feels goood, baaaaby!"... er, you know what I mean, yeah?! :cool:

OnyxZ28
03-27-2008, 12:14 AM
Heh, the Austrian PT280 isn't as flexy as you think.

hyogen
03-27-2008, 12:52 AM
Hyogen,

Just out of interest, 2 Q's for you...

1. Of all the frames you've tried (even if you weren't so keen on it/them for other reasons), which frame/frames did you have the most success with in terms of performance & results?

2. Which frame/frames did you feel most confident with... the most like "Holy s****! This feels goood, baaaaby!"... er, you know what I mean, yeah?! :cool:

1. man these questions are too similar with no clear answer for either. the best results as far as matches won was probably TT warrior OS (27.5" also)...my serves were 110% confident... if first really hard serve didn't go in, then a huge 2nd serve kicker would go in for sure and pretty often ace against 3.5-4.0 players...even some self proclaimed 4.5s. however, the groundstrokes weren't that great with this for me...and it gave me tennis elbow easily. 67ra stiffness. some points were won at net also b/c this racquet is great for volleys... lots of pop on volleys too. At this time I had a very weak backhand...and inconsistent. I haven't had this kind of success with any other frame for my serves yet -_-

FXP Prestige Team (MP) was probably my overall most consistent performer...I came back to this racquet like 3 times--just didn't like the feel of it though... the flexpoints and stock lightness made it feel kinda flimsy. I added a bunch of weight at the top of the handle. This racquet was pretty reliable for me for all areas of my game. no pain whatsoever - 57ra stiffness.
I think the flexpoints and flimsiness of the frame made it somewhat inconsistent for me. Loved the string pattern... wish Head would make a microgel version of this...so that it would be more solid. I could see myself going back to this frame to try it out again... It's clear to me that I like the 18/19 or 18/20 string pattern in a midplus frame. I also seem to like the headshape of prestiges.

Pure Storm Tour--haven't dialed into my best string setup yet, but almost...but i've found that this is the first frame that I have great pop with (with LOW tension) and great control. The ability to hit such a hard line drive forehand under control gives great confidence to me. I go for inside out winners, down the line winners and succeed with this racquet. Not as good groundstrokes as the classic tour though. I think polys are too much for my arm with this racquet for extended play throughout a week. With this racquet I spanked my 4.5 level friend 6-1--almost bageled him!

2. my best groundstrokes and service returns came from using the Head Classic Tour MP--TW remake. but stock weight wasn't maneuverable enough for serving well (racquet head speed for 2nd serves especially). adding a leather grip didn't make it any easier to serve (although a little bit more head light). 62ra stiffness or so--no pain at all.
This was my this-feels-good-baby! racquet. I felt similar buttery hitting joy with the RDX500 but felt way too light stock.

I am hoping that I can modify my pt280 somehow to make it more serve friendly...easier to generate topspin on 2nd serves is most important for me.

thanks for taking the interest in my quest.

I'll try to post some vids of my playing with the best string setup so far of the PST (like 40-45lb luxilon alu rough just like my demo had)--very trampoliny when hitting stringbed against palm.

Also, I strung up my PT280 today with full NXT (don't have the nxt tour yet) at 64/63lbs. I liked the classic tour setup this way. I'll try to post vids with this as well. it's hard to get a camera angle from the back b/c the curtains are too close..

Ross K
03-27-2008, 03:08 AM
Only reason I asked (and I was trying to help out not p*** you off!:roll:), was, for me, the answer kind of lies between the 2...

The frames I got best results with - which weren't always the ones I liked best or thought so highly of (LM Rad springs to mind) - AND those frames which just gave me that full on confidence and I just flat out liked better, even if I didn't always play best with these sticks (Rad Tour TT, PSC 6.1, Bab PC - when I could keep it in!) - basically, by comparing the 2 categories, compromising, being realistic about my abilities, and knowing which would really draw my game out, this way I think I've got a way closer to my 'holy grail' frame (and, no, I don't think I'm quite there myself yet, but at least, well in the right direction.)

Anyway, I know this might all sound a bit confusing, but hopefully you know what I mean?...

I wish you well WITH the legendary PT. In all honesty I wish I'd been good enough to use it properly (and trust me, I tried!)

R.

Pro_Tour_630
03-27-2008, 04:18 AM
I am hoping that I can modify my pt280 somehow to make it more serve friendly...easier to generate topspin on 2nd serves is most important for me.

Also, I strung up my PT280 today with full NXT (don't have the nxt tour yet) at 64/63lbs. I liked the classic tour setup this way.

well then you need to speak with me:) this will take few adjustment and trial/error process, take your time.

the classic tour is not a PT280 so if you like NXT in the classic tour it will not play the same if it is in the PT280

you went ahead with 64/63 which is very high IMO yet you string in the 40's with the PST:confused:, the PT280 is one of the lowest power frame, you will not have lots of pop and let me guess you went with 16g NXT:confused:, I hope not, also NXT does not come in 18g

The 18g's have more power and spin in the PT. You string them correctly you will get even more pop and accuracy on serve, add some weight above the handle.

give us the stock measurements of your PT's

hyogen
03-27-2008, 08:05 AM
well then you need to speak with me:) this will take few adjustment and trial/error process, take your time.

the classic tour is not a PT280 so if you like NXT in the classic tour it will not play the same if it is in the PT280

you went ahead with 64/63 which is very high IMO yet you string in the 40's with the PST:confused:, the PT280 is one of the lowest power frame, you will not have lots of pop and let me guess you went with 16g NXT:confused:, I hope not, also NXT does not come in 18g

The 18g's have more power and spin in the PT. You string them correctly you will get even more pop and accuracy on serve, add some weight above the handle.

give us the stock measurements of your PT's

haha, nice new avatar..

lol. yeah I dunno why i like such low tension in the PST. I tried 50lbs NXT in my classic tour before and it didn't have enough control/spin...not nearly enough. so when I strung it at like 63 or so it was much better again.

Well, I'll try to take some measurements but I don't have a balance beam thing or a caliper or even a scale.

it came with iprestige CAP grommets--brand new It's a 4 1/2 but it seems like a 4 3/8" to me for some reason... I just threw on a wilson pro overgrip on it last night.

I'd be very happy to let you direct me in stringing this frame. I'll post up pics soon--can't hardly hold my excitement. I took a full week off of tennis just to recooperate. I'll have this stick and my 2 PSTs with ideal string setups for 4 hours of tennis tonight :D

Ross K, I wasn't ****ed off at all by your questions...did it seem like i was?

Doc Hollidae
03-27-2008, 08:50 AM
1. man these questions are too similar with no clear answer for either. the best results as far as matches won was probably TT warrior OS (27.5" also)...my serves were 110% confident... if first really hard serve didn't go in, then a huge 2nd serve kicker would go in for sure and pretty often ace against 3.5-4.0 players...even some self proclaimed 4.5s. however, the groundstrokes weren't that great with this for me...and it gave me tennis elbow easily. 67ra stiffness. some points were won at net also b/c this racquet is great for volleys... lots of pop on volleys too. At this time I had a very weak backhand...and inconsistent. I haven't had this kind of success with any other frame for my serves yet -_-

FXP Prestige Team (MP) was probably my overall most consistent performer...I came back to this racquet like 3 times--just didn't like the feel of it though... the flexpoints and stock lightness made it feel kinda flimsy. I added a bunch of weight at the top of the handle. This racquet was pretty reliable for me for all areas of my game. no pain whatsoever - 57ra stiffness.
I think the flexpoints and flimsiness of the frame made it somewhat inconsistent for me. Loved the string pattern... wish Head would make a microgel version of this...so that it would be more solid. I could see myself going back to this frame to try it out again... It's clear to me that I like the 18/19 or 18/20 string pattern in a midplus frame. I also seem to like the headshape of prestiges.

Pure Storm Tour--haven't dialed into my best string setup yet, but almost...but i've found that this is the first frame that I have great pop with (with LOW tension) and great control. The ability to hit such a hard line drive forehand under control gives great confidence to me. I go for inside out winners, down the line winners and succeed with this racquet. Not as good groundstrokes as the classic tour though. I think polys are too much for my arm with this racquet for extended play throughout a week. With this racquet I spanked my 4.5 level friend 6-1--almost bageled him!

2. my best groundstrokes and service returns came from using the Head Classic Tour MP--TW remake. but stock weight wasn't maneuverable enough for serving well (racquet head speed for 2nd serves especially). adding a leather grip didn't make it any easier to serve (although a little bit more head light). 62ra stiffness or so--no pain at all.
This was my this-feels-good-baby! racquet. I felt similar buttery hitting joy with the RDX500 but felt way too light stock.

thanks for taking the interest in my quest.

I'll try to post some vids of my playing with the best string setup so far of the PST (like 40-45lb luxilon alu rough just like my demo had)--very trampoliny when hitting stringbed against palm.

Also, I strung up my PT280 today with full NXT (don't have the nxt tour yet) at 64/63lbs. I liked the classic tour setup this way. I'll try to post vids with this as well. it's hard to get a camera angle from the back b/c the curtains are too close..

After reading this post, I'm curious if your arm problems might be due to playing with heavier frames. I never really thought about it from this perspective, but the two frames you mentioned you hit with best were all sub-12 oz. rackets. This is just speculation, but I wonder if the weight of some of the rackets are causing you to be late and thus putting more stress on your arm unnoticably.

I had to borrow a friend's old Volkl Tour 8 to play with after I had run out of rackets, and he was talking about how he loved the racket, but he started having arm problems. He moved to a lighter and slightly more powerful racket and he said the stress on his arm went away. I wonder if you're possibly in the same boat. Stringing in the 40's might be reducing the impact on your arm on mishits or when facing heavy pace.

I could be completely wrong, but after reading this post and talking to my friend (who's got good technique) I'm more inclined to believe this might be the case with your arm soreness.

hyogen
03-27-2008, 08:59 AM
hmm interesting.

as for the arm soreness...it's pretty minor compared to the bad tennis elbow i'll experience within an hour or so of hitting with a stiff frame like a Pure Drive.

This was a couple hours or more each day for a week. My arm could have just been trying to get used to it AND getting used to poly which i normally don't use.

Doc Hollidae
03-27-2008, 09:07 AM
hmm interesting.

as for the arm soreness...it's pretty minor compared to the bad tennis elbow i'll experience within an hour or so of hitting with a stiff frame like a Pure Drive.

This was a couple hours or more each day for a week. My arm could have just been trying to get used to it AND getting used to poly which i normally don't use.

I'm generalizing the arm soreness to include TE and what not as well. Just any pain with your arm in general.

I realize you just bought your PST and PT, but you might give this some thought after you give the PT a spin and still have arm issues.

hyogen
03-27-2008, 09:46 AM
maybe i'd start to have arm problems with even a pt280 or classic tour if I used poly in them....

but i never had arm issues with the classic tour which i believe is just as hefty as the pt280.

Doc Hollidae
03-27-2008, 09:55 AM
maybe i'd start to have arm problems with even a pt280 or classic tour if I used poly in them....

but i never had arm issues with the classic tour which i believe is just as hefty as the pt280.

Poly can certainly do the trick as well, but like I've said in the past, try to make one change at a time. Don't go adding lead, changing tensions, and changing strings all at once. Try and zero in where the issue is, multiple changes at once won't help you find the root of the problem. Adding lead too much lead, random tensions, poly, and leather grips can be more harsh on your body.

Shangri La
03-27-2008, 11:13 AM
Hyogen, I certainly wish you well with your quest of the magic wand, but just a wild guess the PT280 may not fit you well because it's low powered, less spin potential, and not as forgiving compared to your other frames. Plus if it's indeed that string-sensitive..... This is getting interesting =) Good luck.

hyogen
03-27-2008, 11:20 AM
thanks man. it'll be very interesting to play tonight. can't hardly wait.

http://oregonstate.edu/~lamontm/tennis/pt280/ here are the pics!!! Looks like the buttcap sticker is just silver.. with a little black around the edges where the silver rubbed off. can't see any head logo or hologram... maybe the plastic film that had the hologram on it peeled off. any ideas?

it's made in austria.. and i believe TheRed told me that it was the i.prestige CAP on there. not a scratch on the caps. michael chaho commented that the iprestige CAPS and later model caps are cheap plastic. This feels like it has more substance than the more flimsy feeling FXP prestige Team caps.. hmm

also, this 4 1/2 grip seriously feels like a 4 3/8" to me.... very strange. but then again, when I got my FXP prestige team, they put in a pallet on it...with 4 1/2 and that felt kinda small too...

Pro_Tour_630
03-27-2008, 03:47 PM
it's made in austria.. and i believe TheRed told me that it was the i.prestige CAP on there. not a scratch on the caps. michael chaho commented that the iprestige CAPS and later model caps are cheap plastic. This feels like it has more substance than the more flimsy feeling FXP prestige Team caps.. hmm

the iprestige CAP is nice don't get me wrong, but it is not like the original PT630 CAP, for one the iprestige CAP is lighter, but some people like that. IMO there is also feel. MY opinion is ANOTHER reason why people like the original PC600 is because it has the original CAP after that they changed CAPs. After all it wraps all around the hoop and it is what is in between the string and the frame. It is like Tires, you can take two identical cars with two similar tires but different RUBBER. The two cars are not going to feel the same

again nice frame you got, you don't like it we will buy it ;-)

hyogen
03-27-2008, 03:49 PM
how how about those pics for the pt club avatar? ;D

Passion4Tennis
03-27-2008, 04:02 PM
Yeah, good luck with that PT 280. I used one during the mid 90's. I had excellent control with it, but it felt a little harsh to me on off-center hits. Then again, I only strung mine with PSG 16, and usually around the maximum tension, so that could have been part of the problem. :)

That was the only racquet I've ever bought solely based on its looks. lol

hyogen
03-28-2008, 01:29 AM
I'll elaborate more after I hit with it more this weekend...but here is what I think of the PT280 after hitting with it for about 3 hours of tennis yesterday, mostly doubles and one set of singles against a 5.0 rated guy (I got bageled :()...but i kept switching between the PST and the other PST and the PT280 in this set.

The FEEL of the PT280 is incredible--just like the classic tour MP. This Twaron is awesome stuff! And it had a much louder thumping sound compared to the classic tour MP. Very unique thumping sound...

My PT280 was strung with wilson NXT 16 at 64/63 or so on a crank machine. I had a wilson overgrip on it and it has full i.prestige CAPS on it. I was hitting SIGNIFICANTLY better serves with it than with the Head Classic Tour!!! In fact, I dug myself out of 0-40 in one set and won the set, and then did it again in a different match with another 15-40 comeback to win the game. the reason why i had to dig myself out was i think some errors by my doubles partner. hehe. I only hit 2 aces today, but lately i haven't been hitting many, so that's not too bad for me. so just the fact that I was able to hold serve on those 2 bad games and the fact that I wasn't broken once (except for my singles match with 5.0 guy).

by the way the 5.0 guy owned everyone at men's night (doubles). the guy was seriously GOOD...wow. I think I coulda done a little better against him, maybe win a couple games off of him...but tonight wasn't my night. It was pretty intimidating...and in fact one of his big kicker serves kicked up and came straight to my face--i managed to SORT of block it with my racquet, but it bounced and hit my nose pretty hard. LOL...........embarrassing....but didn't get a nose bleed. that sucked... especially with my heavy weight and lack of fitness...when serves are pounded right at me..it's hard for me to react quick enough.

so serves were good..not my best, but then again I think I could serve even better with some poly strings or thinner gauge strings...and lower tension.

I can't comment on my backhand--except for the fact that it's been in a major funk the past week and half to two weeks. I just can't time it right any more...what became my most consistent and best shot has become pretty inconsistent lately with no groove. I gotta get that back. that said, some of my best backhands came with the Head classic tour (660). I think I could have the same kinds of backhands with this PT280, but not tonight--gotta get out of this funk and iron out my backhand again. my previous problem (lack of unit turn) isn't the issue i don't think...i think it's the grip... for my left hand i can't seem to decide on either semi western or eastern... before I had been really successful with the semi western....but nowadays it seems like i can't get a good contact/pop when i use the semi-western. The eastern works better and is flatter but I need more topspin than that a lot of times....

my forehands were something to truly rave about. they were better than the classic tour MP. everyone had trouble dealing with my forehand returns and groundstrokes. Really hard and deep THUMPING forehands-- i could go crosscourt and down the line at will. I still want to groove with it more, but my forehands with this PT280 is something special. Volleys were pretty good...better than my normal vollies.

My forehand returns were something to really rave about also. It was definitely a bigger weapon than when returning with the Classic Tour.

by the way, I hit relatively well with the PST's today...the trampoliny luxilon alu rough at around 40lbs was very familiar to the setup that i really liked in the demo.

although the balance is a little different on the PT280...it seems a tiny bit more maneuverabile...maybe b/c of slightly smaller head than the Classic Tour MP? 660 vs. 630cm..

I think my backhands and serves and maybe volleys could further be improved if I make the racquet just a little bit more head light than it is right now. I had a pretty reliable serve today, but not as much spin as I can get with other setups..but again 16gauge wilson NXT in a dense string pattern won't get me that much spin, so i think that was a big factor.

I can't wait to get my 2nd from TheRed. Maybe I can convince him to sell me his 3rd once I have the $$

Pro_Tour_630
03-28-2008, 04:07 AM
^^^^^^^^ THUMPING^^^^^^^
that is why you get a PT280/630 because it THUMPS like a PC600 but more forgiving :):):)

wait till you install thinner strings at low tension, you get more zip more bit more kick etc......

also, change the grip if you have the original head grip, they are junk, go with prince dura pro if you like a softer feel, or if you like a firmer grip get gama hitec in blue or just do leather with overgrip like gosen or durazorb, last option (depending how heavy your original PT is)

montx
03-28-2008, 04:15 AM
i think i have found the one

hyogen
03-28-2008, 08:35 AM
I don't see myself getting rid of the PST...still played well with it yesterday and I could easily see myself using it.... still has all the qualities I was looking for. the only thing might be gradually injuring my elbow/arm/wrist with it.. I don't think my PT280 has the original head grip. Wow, i can't believe you're even picky about what grip to use (under you overgrip). I'll look for these at the store. I do have a leather grip laying around...i'll wait though.

the sound of the THUMP was much louder than the classic tour. the classic tour's thumping sound was still very sweet. The flex seemed to be similar...maybe the PT280 was a little bit more stiff (tiny bit). not sure.

That thumping sound...wow. I feel it improves your confidence AND intimidates the opponent too... like with the fxp prestige team, which is one of my most consistent racquets for my performance... it feels and sounds hollow and flimsy...as well as me needing to put a bunch of lead on the handle.

http://oregonstate.edu/~lamontm/tennis/lead%20tape.JPG
lol, i tried this out under my handle for the PST for a short time and it seemed fine. Might have been better for serves and backhands than the other one which I added a leather grip to. the leather grip made the PST less head light than all that lead tape of course. both were okay and probably better than without. I still really *LIKE* the 40lb tension with luxilon...and even the enduro pro 17 mains with gamma tnt fatcore crosses was fine too--more soft of course.

OnyxZ28
03-28-2008, 10:01 AM
Good god, that is one dog ugly lead job.

hyogen
03-28-2008, 10:14 AM
lol. those strips have been used and reused over and over :D

it goes underneath the overgrip of course -_-

saram
03-28-2008, 10:30 AM
So to sum up the thread, your search is not over, is it?

hyogen
03-28-2008, 10:33 AM
well it's down to either the pt280 or PST. I'm not willing to try out any more frames. The PST is the closest I've gotten to what I want in a modern racquet. I don't feel the need to try out any more modern frames. My thought is that if i like the PT280 just as much, then i'll choose it over the PST. Many pro's still use this old frame and it's still good enough for them... so if I like it better than the PST, I'm just gonna stick with it forever. Don't want to buy into the marketing of new and improved technologies any longer.

Once I have the money I'll start stocking up on the PT280 so I never run out in my lifetime...I would say for me about 5-10 frames at most would be sufficient.

I don't wanna waste time or further set me back in grooving my game with just one racquet, etc. I'll use the $ i'll be saving from not trying out new racquets for lessons :D

bluetrain4
03-28-2008, 10:33 AM
[QUOTE=hyogen;2152482]Here is my initial hit video with the strings it came with:

QUOTE]

Where did you get those string dampeners?

saram
03-28-2008, 10:34 AM
well it's down to either the pt280 or PST. I'm not willing to try out any more frames

Pick one, get rid of all the others in your house and storage and get out and work on your strokes--not your sticks! :twisted::)

Doc Hollidae
03-28-2008, 10:40 AM
Where did you get those string dampeners?

Wilson Bowl of Fun. Gotta go to a Pro Shop and pick them out of a jar. I think some sites sell them in packages, don't think TW does.

saram
03-28-2008, 10:49 AM
Wilson Bowl of Fun. Gotta go to a Pro Shop and pick them out of a jar. I think some sites sell them in packages, don't think TW does.

I have also seen them at Wal-Mart on occasion--they have a lot of Wilson stuff in the sporting goods department.

nickb
03-28-2008, 10:54 AM
I'm just gonna stick with it forever.

As us racket addicts have said that before..

Ive just stopped saying it....once a switcher always a switcher..

You will be using another racket within a month..

Nick :cool:

hyogen
03-31-2008, 10:50 PM
just a quick update. i've only played a tiny bit since that first hit. My forehands are still very good even against weaker players. I have been struggling with my backhand for the past 2 weeks or more now. so I hit against a wall today for a long time and practiced hitting a left handed forehand as well and making sure my shoulder was touching my chin. Helped a LOT i think...the ball is actually popping off my stringbed again with decent spin.

OnyxZ28
03-31-2008, 11:26 PM
Uhm, shouldn't your FHs be even better against weaker players?

hyogen
04-01-2008, 01:02 AM
yes, i'm just saying with the quality of balls that weaker players hit...a lot of times you have to generate your own pace..

jayserinos99
04-01-2008, 01:13 AM
yes, i'm just saying with the quality of balls that weaker players hit...a lot of times you have to generate your own pace..

you're not trying to smack the crap out of the ball are you?

hyogen
04-01-2008, 01:23 AM
no, i'm not. when i go for winners I take a pretty big swing though. the racquet is feeling good overall. hitting more dead balls against weaker players--I missed the huge THUMPING sound

Pro_Tour_630
04-01-2008, 09:20 AM
^^^^when are we going to see PT280 GOAT in your signature:) it has been my point of reference to all frames. I experiment with hundreds of frames. My poor PT gets cheated on hundreds of times but I always go back to it and she does not mind. She is my North my South my East and my West. She completes me. I better stop before my wife sees this.:oops:

hyogen
04-01-2008, 09:35 AM
hahaha. I think I could benefit a little bit by making my pt280 just a tiny bit more head light.

allrightguy
04-01-2008, 11:16 AM
It is a sweet stick. Congrats on finding your excalibur! I'm still on the hunt, unfortunately

Pro_Tour_630
04-01-2008, 11:40 AM
hahaha. I think I could benefit a little bit by making my pt280 just a tiny bit more head light.

this is why I like the made is austria above the handle PT630 , or next time you string remove the bumper only and leave the grommet strip,careful not to bend damage grommets while pushing them through the hole.

hyogen
04-01-2008, 11:49 AM
i'm confused... cut the bumper off? just not the middle grommet part?

ohhh maybe you're saying that they're 2 pieces..makes sense.

so just don't use a bumper to make it more head light?

Hmm I see. do you think by removing this CAP bumper, it'll make it one or two more points headlight? Maybe i should make the CAPs shorter and not go around the whole hoop...I rarely scrape my racquet anyways.

hyogen
04-01-2008, 11:50 AM
this is why I like the made is austria above the handle PT630 .
i don't understand this at all

Pro_Tour_630
04-01-2008, 12:01 PM
i'm confused... cut the bumper off? just not the middle grommet part?

ohhh maybe you're saying that they're 2 pieces..makes sense.

so just don't use a bumper to make it more head light?

Hmm I see. do you think by removing this CAP bumper, it'll make it one or two more points headlight? Maybe i should make the CAPs shorter and not go around the whole hoop...I rarely scrape my racquet anyways.

not sure if you had CAPS I thought you had regular non caped bumper/grommet which the bumper is separate from the grommet strip.

You can cut it and just leave the grommet stripe if you want

you can install iprestige MP XL grommets that were non caped

i don't understand this at all

the made in austria above the handle are generally lighter and more HL than the rest even with CAP

OnyxZ28
04-01-2008, 12:20 PM
Yeah, my "Designed in Austria" PT630s are logs with leather. :-p

hyogen
04-01-2008, 01:11 PM
Mine is made in Austria. the previous guy installed I.prestige CAPs on it.

Ryoma Kun
04-01-2008, 01:15 PM
damn, and i thought i went through a lot of racquets...

I am even more eager to try the new storms out now!!! but i love the new AG200's, play like a more lively prestige in my opinion :)

PROTENNIS63
04-01-2008, 01:19 PM
you went through a lot of racquets! Good to hear you finally found a racquet for you.

Pro_Tour_630
04-01-2008, 01:47 PM
Mine is made in Austria. the previous guy installed I.prestige CAPs on it.
is it written on the side or above the handle? the iprestige CAP weighs more than the iprestige MP XL non cap http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageHEAD-HIIPXLG.html so start with this set up then if it is still not as HL as you want it to be, try it without the bumper

AlpineCadet
04-01-2008, 01:58 PM
you went through a lot of racquets! Good to hear you finally found a racquet for you.
More power to him!

hyogen
04-04-2008, 04:06 PM
well, i played for a few hours with the leather handled pt280 yesterday. still have the NXT strings on it.

I was serving very well..not necessarily better, but I had a lot more aces. About 8 or 9 or so in the 3 doubles matches that I played. Had 3 aces in one game once haha.

I had more trouble with my second serve though. I think I'll take the leather grip off and maybe try to cut the head guard off to make it more head light.

my groundies were doing ok, not my best. My forehand isn't as good as it can be, but my backhands are starting to go back up to par. Not quite there yet though.

I have a few new vids that I'll upload tonight.

nickb
04-04-2008, 04:09 PM
Its not the frames....its YOU!

Nick

Shashwat
04-04-2008, 04:15 PM

Nick

Agree 100%.

I'm glad i'm not a racquet freak.

nickb
04-04-2008, 04:17 PM
Im a racket freak...but at the end of the day I know im the one swinging them around on the court.

A racket is just a tool...

Nick

snoopy
04-04-2008, 04:21 PM
Dude, I've seen some of your vids, you've got decent strokes. You can get better if you work at it.

You know it, I know it, and the whole world knows it: just pick something decent and stick with it!

You're bringing back bad memories of last summer for me. I wasted my chance of improving by constantly trying out different frames. I finally decided to stick with something this winter, the Volkl Tour 8. I don't love it but it does lots of things pretty well for me.

I'm finally starting to play better and more confidently. I'm solidifying my 4.0 standing, not slipping back to 3.5 play as often.

So, stop thinking so much. You've already tried enough frames. Nothing is perfect. One racquet will always do something better than the other. Find one that you can swing fast and does most stuff pretty well. Then be satisified, at least for a little while.

hyogen
04-04-2008, 04:50 PM
thanks man, i definitely agree.

there is NO way i will change again. I have no excuse left.

i'm leaning towards PT280...no excuse. the pro's still use this... doesn't have the new technology crap.

the Pure Storm Tour -- have no excuse either, i finally came to this racquet and found it to do everything the best overall...

will not try another racquet whatsoever. lol. I am gonna sell my rdx500

Doc Hollidae
04-04-2008, 04:57 PM

i'm leaning towards PT280...no excuse. the pro's still use this... doesn't have the new technology crap.

the Pure Storm Tour -- have no excuse either, i finally came to this racquet and found it to do everything the best overall...

Say that again in two weeks.

AlpineCadet
04-04-2008, 06:19 PM

I used to love hitting with the Pro Staff Tour 90, then the nBlade, the ROK, the k90, the RDS002 Tour, the Speedport Black, the O3 Tour Mid, the TFight 335, the APDc, the PT630, the Instinct, the kBlade.. and it just never ended. But with time, as my game developed, I started to look for specifics for my holy grail. I'm currently using a MP with a customized weight/balance, and it has only improved my game since I've stayed with it. It suits my strokes very well. I've even found the right strings/tension for the frame. My serves are bigger, my ground strokes feel right, and my confidence level is up when I go for those low percentage shots. Once you reach a point in time where you start getting used to a frame and figuring out your strokes, your need to switch and/or experiment with other frames will abate. Hope your search/journey is a fun one. (Mine was frustrating, and lasted over a year, lol.)

Pro_Tour_630
04-04-2008, 06:19 PM
hes wil cause he ain't fondled no PT280 befo

HeadPrestige
04-04-2008, 06:25 PM
i personally hate the pt630/pt280... the racket lacks any type of feel and is overly powerful.............................(Just kidding, please don't eat me michael)

Hopefully you do stick with these rackets though hyogen... it would only help your game if you picked a frame.

hyogen
04-05-2008, 02:00 AM
hes wil cause he ain't fondled no PT280 befo

exactly.. I am playing slightly better with the PT280 than with my classic tour mp that i had. The biggest reason is the serve. It's easier for me to serve--especially 2nd serve with the PT280. my ground strokes aren't quite up to the classic tour level. forehand..maybe.

hyogen
04-05-2008, 02:06 AM

Nick

but dude...can you pick up ANY racquet and play just as well with the racquet?

i'm just trying to choose my optimum one. you came upon your racquet because it served you the best in all areas right?

that being said, I agree it's ME. sometimes i may have a worse day because i am tired, etc...some days I may not be focusing on technique as well..

hyogen
04-05-2008, 02:07 AM
I used to love hitting with the Pro Staff Tour 90, then the nBlade, the ROK, the k90, the RDS002 Tour, the Speedport Black, the O3 Tour Mid, the TFight 335, the APDc, the PT630, the Instinct, the kBlade.. and it just never ended. But with time, as my game developed, I started to look for specifics for my holy grail. I'm currently using a MP with a customized weight/balance, and it has only improved my game since I've stayed with it. It suits my strokes very well. I've even found the right strings/tension for the frame. My serves are bigger, my ground strokes feel right, and my confidence level is up when I go for those low percentage shots. Once you reach a point in time where you start getting used to a frame and figuring out your strokes, your need to switch and/or experiment with other frames will abate. Hope your search/journey is a fun one. (Mine was frustrating, and lasted over a year, lol.)

you're currently using an MP? what racquet are you talking about?

hyogen
04-05-2008, 02:21 AM
Here are some vids I took a few days ago.

far view serve. these are all with the PT280 strung with nxt at 63, but probably has lost some tension by now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pU9zaZaA3w

(with the PT280)

angle views coming up. wow it's 2:30AM. g'nite folks. gonna play tomorrow early afternoon :D

here's the angle view: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLz8XdQpssI wow it's 3AM now... sad.

nickb
04-05-2008, 03:56 AM
but dude...can you pick up ANY racquet and play just as well with the racquet?

i'm just trying to choose my optimum one. you came upon your racquet because it served you the best in all areas right?

that being said, I agree it's ME. sometimes i may have a worse day because i am tired, etc...some days I may not be focusing on technique as well..

I said it becuase you post a review of your play based on the racket...you act like the racket is swinging its self.

"I served well today...this racket is better on serve" etc etc

I can play just as well with any racket as long as its not something silly.

E.g. I used to play a guy who used a babolat APD. One day he decided it was just too powerful (after losing to me 6-0 6-0 6-1)....he kept going on about how my racket was prob better for him and how he was going to buy one. So I said lets play another set but I will use the APD and you use the Fischer. He played about the same with the Fischer and I beat him 6-1 with the APD.

You have some decent rackets there...280, Pure Storm and RDX. Any of those would be a good choice.

I know from experince that changing rackets is not good for your game. If anything your game gets worse after trying out different sticks all the time.

Nick

Anton
04-05-2008, 08:23 AM
Here are some vids I took a few days ago.

far view serve. these are all with the PT280 strung with nxt at 63, but probably has lost some tension by now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pU9zaZaA3w

(with the PT280)

angle views coming up. wow it's 2:30AM. g'nite folks. gonna play tomorrow early afternoon :D

here's the angle view: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLz8XdQpssI wow it's 3AM now... sad.

Pretty good,

but you barely get off the ground which gets in the way of more effective rotation and higher impact point. Your doby doesn't make it all the way around for followthough.

also, don't put your rear foot to the baseline, keep it behind the front one, this will also get you jumping better.

AlpineCadet
04-05-2008, 11:36 AM
you're currently using an MP? what racquet are you talking about?A midplus, LOL. Glad you enjoyed what I wrote.

hyogen
04-05-2008, 11:56 AM
A midplus, LOL. Glad you enjoyed what I wrote.

i know what MP stands for...but a midplus of what racquet?? :confused:

AlpineCadet
04-05-2008, 12:07 PM
So you did understand what MP was, but just wanted clarification. Cool. The reason why I left out the name is because it doesn't matter. I've just found what works for me.

BTW, what did you think about my advice on switching?

hyogen
04-05-2008, 12:10 PM
i agree on it. i think i'm VERY close to where you are...narrowed it down to 2 frames..

hyogen
04-05-2008, 12:12 PM
Pretty good,

but you barely get off the ground which gets in the way of more effective rotation and higher impact point. Your doby doesn't make it all the way around for followthough.

also, don't put your rear foot to the baseline, keep it behind the front one, this will also get you jumping better.

hmm...interesting. i would agree as well...but sometimes when I try to follow what the pros look like they're doing...they seem to have their back foot on the baseline also.. and when i do that (although not always successful) I can get more rotation.

I think you're right though.. i was just trying to find a happy medium, but having my back foot behind my right one definitely helps me explode into the court more and jump better

Pro_Tour_630
04-05-2008, 12:14 PM
H, wait till you put biphase 18g at low tension, you will not put it down

AlpineCadet
04-05-2008, 12:16 PM
H, wait till you put biphase 18g at low tension, you will not put it down
My first string job on the PT630 was X1 Biphase at 55lbs. The racket just blew the ball away. Not enough bite or ball spin in my opinion, which was why I settled on ALU 16. :D But that was before I sold the frame to you! ;)

hyogen
04-05-2008, 12:18 PM
I said it becuase you post a review of your play based on the racket...you act like the racket is swinging its self.

"I served well today...this racket is better on serve" etc etc

I can play just as well with any racket as long as its not something silly.

E.g. I used to play a guy who used a babolat APD. One day he decided it was just too powerful (after losing to me 6-0 6-0 6-1)....he kept going on about how my racket was prob better for him and how he was going to buy one. So I said lets play another set but I will use the APD and you use the Fischer. He played about the same with the Fischer and I beat him 6-1 with the APD.

You have some decent rackets there...280, Pure Storm and RDX. Any of those would be a good choice.

I know from experince that changing rackets is not good for your game. If anything your game gets worse after trying out different sticks all the time.

Nick

I realize that what you and all the other people are saying on this thread is true. I don't think I'm as bad as the guy who lost to you though...I don't BLAME stuff completely on the racquet. What is undeniable to me, though, is that given two frames which are relatively pretty similar (PT280 and Classic Tour)...at least more similar than a PT280 and a pure drive.... I serve significantly better with the PT280 and I have a little better groundstrokes with the classic tour.

I realize my technique isn't the best--never got any professional training, not because I never wanted to, but never really had the money to invest in it. It's not wise and I will change this someday--but it's kinda like someone living in an apartment and spending the rest of his cash on cable TV and other little luxuries instead of investing in a house and having to do without some of those luxuries. Investing in the house is of course the better investment, but some people just need a little bit more income, etc..to really take the plunge in buying a house. I think the biggest thing for me though is my fitness level. It's like me carrying around a 45lb weight on my shoulders when I play compared to just a couple years ago. Hence the even more bad footwork, late preparation, etc. going from 150 to 195 is HUGE in just a year and half wouldn't you agree? :(

sorry if that example is way off base, but as I am sick of trying out new frames and don't want to waste money there, I expect to be using whatever money I can save and put it towards lessons, membership, etc. (i'm cancelling my membership for the dry seasons of the year)

Pro_Tour_630
04-06-2008, 07:57 AM
My first string job on the PT630 was X1 Biphase at 55lbs. The racket just blew the ball away. Not enough bite or ball spin in my opinion, which was why I settled on ALU 16. :D But that was before I sold the frame to you! ;)
AC, which bisphase? I doubt it was 18g, the ALU you had does not have more spin than the biphase 18g at least for my swing it does not, unless you have mega bat head speed

User Name
04-06-2008, 08:03 AM
Wow the ying yang looks really good on this frame

AlpineCadet
04-06-2008, 03:18 PM
AC, which bisphase? I doubt it was 18g, the ALU you had does not have more spin than the biphase 18g at least for my swing it does not, unless you have mega bat head speed
I'm pretty sure I have decent racket head speed. Besides, it had nothing to do with the gauge, it was just the fact that I am used to using polyester strings. Some pros use gut, some use hybrids, others use full poly. Just because your setup works well for you doesn't mean it will work well for everyone, though I could be wrong. ;)

Pro_Tour_630
04-06-2008, 03:55 PM
I'm pretty sure I have decent racket head speed. Besides, it had nothing to do with the gauge, it was just the fact that I am used to using polyester strings. Some pros use gut, some use hybrids, others use full poly. Just because your setup works well for you doesn't mean it will work well for everyone, though I could be wrong. ;)
AC, what string had the most ball bit spin in your LM radical MP? was it alu16g? Is there a chance you will ever try 18g biphase in your LM radical MP? would really like to hear your input? have you tried a very thin POLY in your LMradicalMP?

AlpineCadet
04-06-2008, 03:58 PM
AC, what string had the most ball bit spin in your LM radical MP? was it alu16g? Is there a chance you will ever try 18g biphase in your LM radical MP? would really like to hear your input? have you tried a very thin POLY in your LMradicalMP?
I tried a hybrid of Sensation 16 with Enduro Pro 17 mains in the Rad. and I had very little bite compared to a full set of Cyberpower 16. (I also had that hyrbid cut out 2 days later.)

Pro_Tour_630
04-06-2008, 04:18 PM
AC, not sure if the below setup was in the LMradicalMP or similar dense frames but you seem to like it best when you replied to RR in regards to ball bit and spin, I am assuming you have ace which is an 18g POLy in the mains which were giving you that ball bit and spin, did that set up have more spin/bit than your full Cyberflash 16g or full alu16? thanks
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=1785365&postcount=16
I have tried BB Ace with Gamma Live Wire 16, and that combo is by far my favorite over Duralast/Nxt, Alu16/Biphase, and CyberFlash/Wilson Extreme Syn Gut. ;)

AlpineCadet
04-06-2008, 04:22 PM
AC, not sure if ther below setup was in the LMradicalMP or similar dense frames but you seem to like it best when you replied to RR in regards to ball bit and spin, I am assuming you have ace which is an 18g POLy in the mains which were giving you that ball bit and spin, did that set up have more spin/bit than you full Cyberflash 16g ? thanks
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=1785365&postcount=16
That's an OLD quote from a long time ago, and my strokes have changed since then.
Not sure what you're looking for here/there.

Anyway, the BB Ace and Gamma setup was in the Pro Staff Tour 90, which was a very stiff Midsize frame, probably around 68-69 flex IMHO, so the softer thinner gauge Luxilon and the softer Gamma strings suited well in the stick. No, it didn't have more spin than full ALU 16 in the same frame.

Spin-wise, for me, a full set of 16g poly will have more spin than a full set of 18g X1-Biphase. I've already tried a HYBRID, and I still had less spin than full poly, so trying a FULL job of X1-Biphase will most likely give me even less spin/bite. Lets not hijack this thread. Email me if you would like further details.

Pro_Tour_630
04-06-2008, 04:32 PM
Not sure what you're looking for here/there.

Spin-wise, for me, a full set of 16g poly will have more spin than a full set of 18g X1-Biphase.

this is what I am trying to get at, how do you know that? when you have not tried full 18g biphase. give it a try, thats all, wont hurt, check your email

Sorry H for hijacking thread

nickb
04-07-2008, 05:39 AM
Live him alone...he likes POLY!

Most decent plays will break 18g Biphase in a few hours anyway...waste of money.

Pro_Tour_630
04-07-2008, 07:29 AM
^^^^
most decent players can break just about anything in an 14X18 in few hours, what is the point? We are not talking about durability here. Just trying to save his arm and give him advice on ball bit/spin. Why aren't you playing POLY then? because you care about your arm that is why.

You are playing ashaway Kevlar at low tension, because it offers mega spin/bit, wait till you try it in 17g in your fischer, and since we play 18X20 18g kevlar mains with biphase 18g cross makes even more sense, and no it does not hurt your arm as you already know since we both string Kev mains at low tension and no it will not break since it is in 18X20. What it will do is peal the living fuzzy out of the ball down to its rubber in a few hours creating massive spin/bit/kick.

I offered this to AC, it is up to him if he wants to try it or not,

just one question NickB, in your same racquet do you feel you have more spin/bit with ALU16g than with your currant Kevlar setup? thanks

nickb
04-07-2008, 08:17 AM
My racket is 16x20...

The kevlar has amazing bite...it grips the ball better than anything I have ever used. I had never strung below 53 until last week...I just did it for fun to see what it would be like. I had one racket at 55/60 (crossfire) and another at 48/52. The feel, spin and power just amazed me. Ive never hit so many touch shots and great volleys with a stiff string. At the low tension it is just as comfortable as full syn gut for me. I wont go back to high tension.

Nick

Pro_Tour_630
04-07-2008, 08:37 AM
thanks nick, we agree that Kevlar mains has more ball bit/spin/kick than full POLY, Multis, SG, how about NG's? how about textured string, I still feel Kev has more ball bit and grips more, the issue with textured string is that I lose directional control with it,

not sure about your fischer and how dense it is in the middle but 16 mains is still open, I could be wrong:confused: if it is that dense in the middle you can go 17g Kevlar and still have the 16g in cross for directional control, give it a shot and tell us which grips/bits more?

sorry H for hijacking thread again but you should try this as well

nickb
04-07-2008, 08:58 AM
thanks nick, we agree that Kevlar mains has more ball bit/spin/kick than full POLY, Multis, SG, how about NG's? how about textured string, I still feel Kev has more ball bit and grips more, the issue with textured string is that I lose directional control with it,

not sure about your fischer and how dense it is in the middle but 16 mains is still open, I could be wrong:confused: if it is that dense in the middle you can go 17g Kevlar and still have the 16g in cross for directional control, give it a shot and tell us which grips/bits more?

sorry H for hijacking thread again but you should try this as well

Yeah...I think it has more bite than gut too. I dont like textured either..I feel they have less feel...thats why I hated PS Blue Gear.

My fischer is not dense...but its a very even stringbed. I dont think I can get the 17g Ashaway Kevlar over here in the UK. If I could get thinner I would use it...

Nick

Anton
04-07-2008, 09:24 AM
Spin-wise, for me, a full set of 16g poly will have more spin than a full set of 18g X1-Biphase.

At same tension?

AlpineCadet
04-07-2008, 09:26 AM
At same tension?
This thread title is ironic, isn't it?

Anton
04-07-2008, 09:28 AM
This thread title is ironic, isn't it?

though not surprising...

hyogen
04-09-2008, 03:21 PM
well, i hit with the pure storm tour again yesterday. hit great with it with the trampoliny low tension luxilon setup. 40-45lbs. I am getting rid of it right now though--due to taxes I have to pay. I didn't know I had to pay at the same time of filing taxes because up until this year I've already gotten a return.

I'm more willling to let go of the PST than my PT280 -_-

Anton
04-09-2008, 07:32 PM
hmm...interesting. i would agree as well...but sometimes when I try to follow what the pros look like they're doing...they seem to have their back foot on the baseline also.. and when i do that (although not always successful) I can get more rotation.

I think you're right though.. i was just trying to find a happy medium, but having my back foot behind my right one definitely helps me explode into the court more and jump better

hmm, I don't recall any pros putting both feet even at the baseline...do you have one in mind?

I find that I make most violent serve when I compress the feet and jump more - its a tough to explain feeling but basically

1. a. I toss the ball up and my left arm extends up with it, giving a tilt from my left to right shoulder.
b. My legs start compressing as the the knees "come out" and my body leans back.
c.My shoulders rotate clockwise as far as I could while my right arm is going into "L" position and then a "check mark"

a,b and c all happen simultaneously.

2. All the motions in Number 1 get reversed, the ball starts dropping down as my legs rush me up and the left arm gets pulled and folded down into the side of my body - this initiates the uncorking of my shoulder. Once this rotation starts slowing down the arm flies out and once that motion slows as well my wrist pronates leading the racket into the impact.

It still takes me about 15 min of straight serving to get good timing on all of this, but once I warm up this up-down, cork-uncork feeling is amazing - just beating the living crap out of the ball almost effortlessly.

Hopefully I can get it down to under 5 min, so I can actually serve something like that during a match.

hyogen
04-10-2008, 11:56 PM
am gonna sell my last other racquet tomorrow (rdx500). sold my last PST yesterday. I am playing really well with Pt280. hit for almost 5 hours today. in the beginning I tried making it more headlight by adding lead under the leather grip- my groundstrokes and serves suffered. When i took off the lead (lots) and just kept the leather grip (for lack of any other grip) I was pounding first serves harder than i ever have I think. I've figured out that for me, for first flat serves--it's better that I don't toss the ball way high.

I have finally gotten into the 2hbh groove with this racquet and it's almost as nice as when I was hitting with the classic tour. I tried out my friend's classic tour the other day and the balance and feel felt foreign to me again. I'm gonna stick with the PT280. mark my words :)

I'm still playing with my NXT setup. they're lasting longer than I thought they would. They have at least 20-25 hours of hitting on them and the only wear I see is the strings in my sweet spot area are a little more hazy/whitish than the other natural colored strings. No fraying or anything. In the whitish areas I might put some string savers and see if I can make it last longer.

I have another set of NXT that I can use, 2 sets of natural gut, a couple blue gear sets... I really would like to try some thin gauge strings, but that's gonna have to wait.

Ross K
04-11-2008, 01:12 AM
Hyogen,

Could it actually be the magic wand search is indeed terminated?! I haven't been keeping up with your progress lately, but it looks like you might have settled down with this one? If so, congratulations! And I guess that means you can serve with the PT fine and generally aren't finding it too low powered?... or, ahem, is there room for a little more searching yet?!

hyogen
04-11-2008, 08:04 AM
i'm not finding it too low powered at all. in fact, I sometimes have trouble keeping the ball down when going for big forehands. I think the 16g NXT could be replaced with some hybrid or something that will bite the ball a little more.

I'm not gonna buy another racquet--other than stocking up on PT280's throughout the years. I think the most I'll need for my lifetime is...like 6

Ross K
04-11-2008, 03:51 PM
i'm not finding it too low powered at all. in fact, I sometimes have trouble keeping the ball down when going for big forehands.

This sure sounds like a different frame than the one I laboured with?! I suppose next you'll be telling me it serves with effortless power and precision?!

hyogen
04-11-2008, 03:55 PM
maybe it's my string setup. full NXT at about 63lbs....it's a few weeks old so probably lower than that. not much string movement though.

Mine is the made in austria version. I kinda wish it didn't have the CAPs on it, but I've gotten used to the balance now... with this setup, I'm able to serve better with the weight of a leathergrip on the handle. Once I'm able, I have one more PT280 with exact same setup waiting for me to buy.

I don't prefer the leather handle and overgrip, but I don't want to buy another synthetic grip--i put the old used one on the PST that I just recently sold. Eventually i'll just add a little weight to the handle to match the balance of the one I have right now.

As for serves, it is not effortless power. But with good timing and good toss I am able to serve it almost as hard as any other racquet. Like yesterday, most everyone was having a lot of difficulty getting my first serve back :D (and 2nd serves sometimes.. Granted, these are only solid 3.5-4.0 players...but still consistent hitters. It has pretty good precision though. I'm usually able to either hit down the line or out wide with my first serve. My 2nd serves are sufferering a little bit because I'm not able to get as much bite on the ball as I'd like. so not as much kick or high arc on the ball. It's not bad though. I believe this will no longer be an issue if I use a slightly thinner gauge string...or play around with tensions or different strings.

so what are you using RossK? got any vids? would love to see them

hyogen
04-11-2008, 04:02 PM
Good luck! Now go out there and deliver some golden bagels :) Hope the PT660's don't sway your opinion:) AGAIN

I gave the PT660s a chance ;) didn't sway me from the PT280 :D

hyogen
04-11-2008, 04:05 PM
Hyogen,

"Hypocrite alert!"...

how's this turning out for you--pro staff classic eh?

HeadPrestige
04-11-2008, 04:12 PM
good luck with the pt 280... i REALLY hope you stick with it

Ross K
04-11-2008, 04:12 PM
so what are you using RossK? got any vids? would love to see them
. Fischer Vac Pro but am keen to explore other Fischers
. Not of the type you mean! :)
. Oh would you now? :wink:

AlpineCadet
04-11-2008, 04:28 PM
This sure sounds like a different frame than the one I laboured with?! I suppose next you'll be telling me it serves with effortless power and precision?!

Might be his string setup. He might also hit with less spin than you, and/or maybe his technique is just better.

hyogen
04-11-2008, 04:52 PM
good luck with the pt 280... i REALLY hope you stick with it

thank you. For what it's worth, I give you my word. I'm listing my last other racquet today (rdx500) and i will not ever try to collect other classic frames like the ps85 or dunlopmax200g. heck, I'm not even gonna try the Zebra Radical twin tube even though I hear it's pretty similar. I hope to shoot some vids of matchplay soon. need to buy a Gorillapod for my camera so I can wrap it around fences or other non-flat areas. sigh, everything costs money. -_-

hyogen
04-18-2008, 11:28 PM
so i really think my NXT setup went DEAD after about 25 hours. I've heard it lasts even less than that. I just can't hit with it it seems. not getting nearly as much pop or spin as I used to for the past 20 hours. the first couple hours were amazing.

I guess I have to go decide what to string it with. I'm gonna try LOW tension...like 45-50. and I have....VS natural gut, blue gear 1.28, pro supex spiral flex, NXT 16... gamma synth gut, I think I have some sort of 17 gauge string....

hmm..... perhaps I'll just go with some low tension 17 gauge string since m.chaho says ANYTHING 1.2mm or less at low tension -_-

Hmm...I really wanna try blue gear though.. gah!

VikingSamurai
04-19-2008, 12:02 AM
Who are you talking to?

hyogen
04-19-2008, 12:39 AM
me, myself.

just strung it up with blue gear 1.28 mains at 54lbs (crank), and pro supex spiral flex at 56lbs in crosses. looks promising :D

there was a tiny bit of rattling...something small loose inside my frame when it was strung. after I cut out the strings, I could no longer hear anything rattle. I thought i was going to have to take the grommets out and shake whatever it was out.

geesechops
04-19-2008, 12:51 AM
Who are you talking to?

I was thinking the same thing :confused: I came across this thread and read a couple pages and was just in aww. HYOGEN has got to be one of the most gear obsessed players I have ever seen on these boards. When you end up worrying about your set up that much your constantly thinking about how does this tension feel, how is the spin on this string, ect... and your game doesn't progress as fast because your in constant flux with string and racquet setups. The perfect setup for your game today could not be the perfect setup for your game tomorrow, but so what. Your skills are more important that your racquet. Change and innovations in tennis technology are good (in moderation), but the successful tennis player in us thrives on consistency. Just my thoughts, ignore if you like :)

hyogen
04-19-2008, 02:11 AM
i've come a long way. i've only used a pt280 for 3+ weeks now and plan to stick to it for life. :)

HeadPrestige
04-19-2008, 11:17 AM
i've come a long way. i've only used a pt280 for 3+ weeks now and plan to stick to it for life. :)

yeah.. at least hyogen ADMITS he is a huge gear head.....

That is something not many on this board are able to do.

hyogen
04-22-2008, 11:14 PM
not liking the blue gear/spiral flex string setup at all. 54/56 seems too tight and i'm not getting much more spin with the blue gear. probably cuz of tight string pattern...

also giving me major wrist issues. i need to go back to multi or nat. gut.

i got my pallet shaved down from a 4 1/2 to a 4 3/8" which is more my size. also had them make it so it's more like a wilson grip--more square and not so flat/rectangular like head grips.

much better :) took off leather grip, and found it to mess up the balance, so I added a little lead on the handle and it seems to be better. gonna put on an even more cushiony grip than the one they gave to me for free.

don't like these wrist issues i'm having.

hyogen
05-05-2008, 09:43 PM
no more blue gear for me.

I strung both of my PT280s with NXT mains at 48, and one with spiral flex 16 crosses at 47, and the other with Gamma Synthetic Gut at 47lbs.

these are similar feeling, but I like the more elastic feel of the spiral flex setup. GAmma synthetic gut is a bit too stiff I think...just a hair.

I like this string job. definitely don't need it any tighter for more spin. It's fine the way it is. My groundstrokes were really popping today :D I kinda regret shaving the pallets of one of my PT280s.

The best setup for groundies for me so far with the PT280 was with leather grip/overgrip/lead at 3 and 9/ and full CAP. I felt it was a bit too heavy for serves--but maybe i'll get used to it...or maybe i can make it a little more head light.

This was all 16gauge string by the way. can't wait to try 1.20mm or less at 45-50lbs or so :D

Also, I hear NXT dies quickly. I will get NXT tour next time or something..

skraggle
05-20-2008, 01:50 AM
Although I'm probably not good enough to be giving you advice, here's a quick observation:

On your serve, you don't really finish out the stroke, and abbreviate the follow-through. I think you've leaving a lot of speed/power on the table because of this. If you followed through along with your good knee-bend, I think you'd definitely find some additional pace.

Return_Ace
05-20-2008, 06:17 AM
Very interesting thread to read ^^

Congrats on finding the right racket =].

hyogen
05-20-2008, 08:20 AM
Although I'm probably not good enough to be giving you advice, here's a quick observation:

On your serve, you don't really finish out the stroke, and abbreviate the follow-through. I think you've leaving a lot of speed/power on the table because of this. If you followed through along with your good knee-bend, I think you'd definitely find some additional pace.

jeez that's some good progress on your weight. how long did it take you to lose 40lbs? that's about how much i need to lose.

I started to cheat on the PT280, but only cuz i started playing poorly when I strung too low with 16g string. I need it around 55lbs at least I think. especially when I factor in the fact that it's going to lose tension right away.