PDA

View Full Version : kblade 98 v. LM Radical MP

bluetrain4
03-11-2008, 12:12 PM
Nearly the exact same specs.

Kblade 98 - 11.1 oz, 3 pts headlight, 325 SW, 64 stiffness, 20mm straight beam, 18x20 string pattern, 98 sq inches.

LM Radical MP - 11.2 oz, 4 pts headlight, 325 SW, 64 stiffness, 21mm straight beam, 18x20 string pattern, 98 sq inches.

Any observations on differences good or bad?

bertrevert
03-11-2008, 06:30 PM
What!!!???!!, when you put it like that I can't believe how similar they are in their specs on paper, but how differently they play in hand...

Despite the figures the KBlade is tons more solid and feels much heavier to swing. It rewards long strokes with plenty of setup time. Heaps more oomph in this than the Rad. It really flexes then snaps back and belts the ball. But there's nothing flicky about it. I just thought it good from the baseline with plenty of power on tap. It feels very different than the LM. Sweetspot perhaps a little further out. Flexier in the throat.

The LM Rad is for nimble all-court control plus you'll find yourself up at the net with it.

bluetrain4
03-11-2008, 08:43 PM
What!!!???!!, when you put it like that I can't believe how similar they are in their specs on paper, but how differently they play in hand...

Despite the figures the KBlade is tons more solid and feels much heavier to swing. It rewards long strokes with plenty of setup time. Heaps more oomph in this than the Rad. It really flexes then snaps back and belts the ball. But there's nothing flicky about it. I just thought it good from the baseline with plenty of power on tap. It feels very different than the LM. Sweetspot perhaps a little further out. Flexier in the throat.

The LM Rad is for nimble all-court control plus you'll find yourself up at the net with it.

Just to make sure, you are talking about the Kblade 98, not the KBlade Tour which is 11.8 oz?

bertrevert
03-11-2008, 09:09 PM
Yes, kBlade 98, most assuredly, have it in hand, lost a match with it.

No Tour for me (I'm almost entirely convinced that anything like 12oz destroys my game...) though it'd be fun to try one out.

The 98 just feels so different from the LM Rad and yet their specs look so close.

The kBlade is a much better racquet for sure (but there is nothing wrong with an LM) and it oozes class, but it just took a big windup in serve, and would not play ball with flicks or any reactive shots.

I'm sticking with my Rads (LM and now prospering with a new MG Rad MP) and want to keep the Blade for a quiet workout time when I can explore it. I tried it out in a match almost straightaway and tanked which is not the way.

I mean the Blade is still a low-powered racquet but it hit real solid when you connect. The LM Rad is all about control, the Blade too, but it just has more pop off the ground. In serves - not as sharp I thought.

kv581
03-11-2008, 09:44 PM
Does KBlade MP really have a thinner beam than LM Radical MP?

bertrevert
03-12-2008, 02:51 AM
^ Yes by 1mm.

I don't have digital calipers, but using a metal rule the 1mm difference can be seen easily.

However, perhaps more importantly they have very different shapes.

If you were to cut the beam and look at the profile the kBlade is a half moon - inside dead flat facing the stringbed, whereas ouside is a curved semi-circle with the grommets bedded in.

The older LM beam, if you were to cut straight through it, is simply a rectangle with rolled edges. (And fyi the MG Rad is the same except they made the beam thinner still and slicier...)

My guess would be that the half-moon beam delivers the solidity in a lighter racquet. It's like the big beam of a Bab PD cut flat in half, flattened out inside. This racquet's stringbed is powerful but remains even.

The thinner pared down Rads make them more tetchy - but then more responsive.

satchman
03-12-2008, 03:16 AM
Nearly the exact same specs.

Kblade 98 - 11.1 oz, 3 pts headlight, 325 SW, 64 stiffness, 20mm straight beam, 18x20 string pattern, 98 sq inches.

LM Radical MP - 11.2 oz, 4 pts headlight, 325 SW, 64 stiffness, 21mm straight beam, 18x20 string pattern, 98 sq inches.

Any observations on differences good or bad?

Haha, if you want even more headache, the Asian version of the KBlade 98 is 10.7 oz (304g), 6 pts HL... and all other specs remain equal.

I'm demo'ing the (Asian) KBlade 98 later today so look out for my review soon...