PDA

View Full Version : How do I Get Correct String Measurements

kenshireen
03-11-2008, 12:52 PM
I usually do one piece and often find that I have several feet on either side.
I check the specs on the racket and it will say 19M and18C. That's a total of 37 feet.
Does that include enough to tie off. I am always afriad of being short... I often leave the extra on the short side of the main without cutting until I have completed the crosses (just in case I am short). I used reels and wonder if it is worth it due to the measuring and the anxiety.

Ken

YULitle
03-11-2008, 12:57 PM
The measurements listed are cutting length, meaning enough to string with, meaning enough for knots and what have you. But, I find that they are often more than you really need. This could be for a number of reasons, but eventually you find the right length for you, especially if you are stringing your own racquet over and over.

03-11-2008, 01:30 PM
Yeah i have an EU stringers digest and just strung up a Volkl Tour 7 and i was left with like 30-40cm on all 4 knots (2 piece)

stringwalla
03-11-2008, 02:59 PM
Tension and string elasticity are major variables. Kevlar stretches like a shoelace while Blue Star stretches like a rubber band. The difference between two can be several inches per pull. On an 18 main racquet, this can equal a few feet difference in length required

stringwalla
03-11-2008, 03:02 PM
On an 18 main racquet, this can equal a few feet difference in length required

I meant to add that's just the potential length difference on the mains, not including crosses.

Sorry to quote myself but I don't see an edit post option anywhere

t0nym4c
03-11-2008, 03:07 PM
Usually when I do not know the measurements I string 20feet for the mains and 20 feet for the crosses. Generally that does a adequate job, but if you have a reel you might want to get more exact measurements because you can squeeze out an extra set of sets most of the time.