PDA

View Full Version : Tension variance in the mains

Lefty5
03-11-2008, 01:00 PM
I string 2 piece style on my prince. When I had both sides tied off for the mains, I ran my finger across like a guitar and noticed quite a bit of difference among the tensions per each string. The 4 middle strings were the loosest and they got tighter the further the main was from the middle. Couple questions:

1. is that normal or do i need to seriously re-evaluate my stringing methods?
2. does the tension even out quickly?
3. is it right to try and compensate by stringing the first 4 mains up 3-4 lbs?

Seems shoddy but what do you folks do?

Thanks for any advice.

YULitle
03-11-2008, 01:03 PM
1. Normal
2. Tension doesn't "even" out in this way, except maybe for mains right next to each other.
3. Only if doing so let's you hit more winners. :D

The difference in sound is because of the difference in length.
The difference in what you call "tension," which is actually the string bed stiffness, is because of the length as well.

dabudabuda
03-12-2008, 07:51 AM
It is like a string instrument in that the longer the string the lower it sounds in general and especially if all things being equal except for length. Just like a guitar, in terms of length of string, if you press your finger to make the string shorter then it will make a higher pitch. I just check to see that each pair of string sounds similar(middle,middle; 2nd fr middle, 2nd fr middle ...end,end).

dabudabuda
03-12-2008, 07:52 AM
yeah...yu already explained

SW Stringer
03-12-2008, 10:01 AM
You can actually check the quality of your stringjob by measuring the sound difference between pairs of mains. The closer the pairs are in frequency the higher quality the stringjob. Below is a description from the Stringforum dot net site of the freqmess program - get to it by clicking on downloads. The program is free.

DateFile Name / ContributorFile SizeDescriptionMay 12, 2005Freqmess v0.7 (MarcR)
[WinXP (http://www.stringforum.net/download/freqmess-int-xp.zip)] [Win98 (http://www.stringforum.net/download/freqmess-int-9x.zip)]3.7 MBA small but useful computer program for measuring the tension of your strings by frequency analysis. User guide is included. Only a sound card and a microphone are required.