PDA

View Full Version : natural gut advice

acejace
03-11-2008, 03:45 PM
I have been stringing with natural gut on my sticks. I just broke a main on the upper right corner on a mis hit(and I never mis hit...haha).

Is it possible that my clamps are to tight

How do I figure out how tight to have my clamps with natural gut?

Thanks

ledor
03-11-2008, 06:29 PM
a mishit is a mishit and it's unfortunate that it broke. I don't think it's your clamps.

racquet_jedi
03-11-2008, 09:31 PM
It's possible that you string very tight and hit very hard and that the force of your swing on the mishit was enough to break the string at that high tension...

scotus
03-11-2008, 11:09 PM
Have you checked your grommet to see there's no broken or sharp edge where your string broke? If so, you need to either replace the grommet or place a plastic tubing there to protect the gut.

Another possibility is that you are using a cheap, no-brand gut.

vndesu
03-11-2008, 11:23 PM
I have been stringing with natural gut on my sticks. I just broke a main on the upper right corner on a mis hit(and I never mis hit...haha).

Is it possible that my clamps are to tight

How do I figure out how tight to have my clamps with natural gut?

Thanks

i dont think so i think it was just the mishit

Lambsscroll
03-12-2008, 06:39 AM
The clamps should be tight enough. No need to go beyond that. I'm guessing the string broke from either a grommet with a sharp angle or just a freak mishit.

Katlion
03-12-2008, 07:03 AM
It was just the mishit in my opinion!

Stan
03-12-2008, 09:07 AM
Don't throw it away. Have you ever shredded and smoked natural gut? It's a trip!

saram
03-12-2008, 10:20 AM
Another vote for the mishit being the cause.

Loco4Tennis
03-12-2008, 10:42 AM
you can defenately damage strings by having the clamps too tight
get in to the good havit of just clamping enought not to slip before you start, like someone menitoned above
ive read that the clamps should not leave execive marks on the string,
if the strings slip, you might need to clean the clamps, but over tightening to compensate will not be a good solution to slippage, because of a possible string message
i know their are strings that have lots of residue on them from the manufacturer, these will dirty the clamps fast, i believe gut is one of the ones people have mentioned, in any case afer using these types of strings, cleaning of the clamps is needed so that the next racquet string job does not slip

sruckauf
03-12-2008, 11:38 AM
Don't throw it away. Have you ever shredded and smoked natural gut? It's a trip!

LOL

ten chars