PDA

View Full Version : Question on YUlitle Starting Mains with Fixed Clamps

kenshireen
03-11-2008, 04:29 PM
I have a bab star 2.. Clamps hold fine... The clamps are heavy and they slide up quite a distance from the base. When I start the two mains the YUlit way.. I clamp the anchor and then loosen both the mains from the pulley. The weight of the clamp pulls the untensioned string down considerably due to its weight and distance that is slides down to the base. When I go to tension the other string the clamp slips off the other side.. The reason appears to be because the anchor clamp is pulling the untensioned string down so that when I tension the other string it rips it from the teeth.

The only way to get around this it so hold the anchor clamp up to string level with one hand while I tension the other starting main.

Ken

YULitle
03-11-2008, 04:46 PM
Yes, this has to be done. The only other work around is when the clamp is really close to the grommet, then it seems to hold itself up.

topknocker
03-11-2008, 04:46 PM
when you pull both mains and set the anchor for instant on 1LM, if you have a starting clamp you clamp on the outside of the racket 1LM. that will keep tension on the 1LM string and hold the anchor clamp up. you can then tension 1RM and clamp, and go ahead and tension 2RM and clamp. then come back and retension 1LM and take off starting clamp. them clamp at throat with main clamp. then clamp 2LM and so on. if loop starts at throat. i've done it both.

jim e
03-11-2008, 05:10 PM
I have a bab star 2.. Clamps hold fine... The clamps are heavy and they slide up quite a distance from the base. When I start the two mains the YUlit way.. I clamp the anchor and then loosen both the mains from the pulley. The weight of the clamp pulls the untensioned string down considerably due to its weight and distance that is slides down to the base. When I go to tension the other string the clamp slips off the other side.. The reason appears to be because the anchor clamp is pulling the untensioned string down so that when I tension the other string it rips it from the teeth.

The only way to get around this it so hold the anchor clamp up to string level with one hand while I tension the other starting main.

Ken
What I do at times is I use the little plastic center core that comes with some wilson overgrips. This little plastic tube will slide on the underside of the clamp perfectly, then place the clamp back on the base, and this little tube will keep the clamp at just the correct height at the string height. Then once this is done for the 1st main, the dropping clamp is no longer an issue, just remove the little plastic tube. I also cut a slit on one of those tubes, so it just clips on the clamp post, and will unclip easily once that 1st main is done.Give this a try. I'm sure most of you have these little tubes from overgrips, and just pitch them out.

todot62
03-11-2008, 09:33 PM
when you pull both mains and set the anchor for instant on 1LM, if you have a starting clamp you clamp on the outside of the racket 1LM. that will keep tension on the 1LM string and hold the anchor clamp up. you can then tension 1RM and clamp, and go ahead and tension 2RM and clamp. then come back and retension 1LM and take off starting clamp. them clamp at throat with main clamp. then clamp 2LM and so on. if loop starts at throat. i've done it both.

I have started mains a few different ways and as topknocker states, pulling the two mains at once and using the starting clamp is, IMHO, by far the easiest way to start. I believe g-randslamstringers.com (take out the dash) has a video showing this starting method.

Tod

cmo871
03-11-2008, 09:45 PM
what i do is have the anchor clamp on the 1 LM, and the 1 RM held up with the clamp close to the anchor clamp. that way the RM clamp holds up the anchor clamp in place. then when you go to tension the RM, you have no problems with the anchor. correct me if im wrong but i also feel that this makes the mains more uniform because if you start off with no RM clamp, and go to tension the 1st RM, then it does the whole RM along with a little slack that comes between the LM anchor clamp and the whole RM. now doing it the way i said will tension the 1st RM from nearly the same position that you would do when you go to tension the 1st LM....
i hope i worded that correctly

also in YUlitles video of the mains, how did the anchor clamp not fall down? i noticed after u set the anchor clamp, u let the mains go very loosely and the clamp just stayed in place. is it because technifibres machine is a beast?

YULitle
03-12-2008, 04:31 AM
The clamp stays in place for the reason I stated earlier. It was close enough to the grommet that the rigidity of the string was enough to hold the clamp up.