PDA

View Full Version : A few questions....

Phonco
03-11-2008, 11:20 PM
Instead of making multiple threads I decided to put most of my questions into one.

First off, how does one know when to change racquets? I currently have a Hybrid Hornet and I have fairly consistent groundstrokes so I was wondering whether it was time to upgrade or continue refining my game.

Second, can anyone help me find some racquets to demo? I was looking for a racquet that is more head light and heavier than my Hornet. I was thinking of the AeroPro Drive Cortex, the O3 White, and for the heck of it the K90/95.

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you.

louis netman
03-11-2008, 11:25 PM
Instead of making multiple threads I decided to put most of my questions into one.

First off, how does one know when to change racquets? I currently have a Hybrid Hornet and I have fairly consistent groundstrokes so I was wondering whether it was time to upgrade or continue refining my game.

Second, can anyone help me find some racquets to demo? I was looking for a racquet that is more head light and heavier than my Hornet. I was thinking of the AeroPro Drive Cortex, the O3 White, and for the heck of it the K90/95.

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you.

Consistent groundies,? How about serves, volleys, overheads, etc...??? Continue refining your game and focus for another 6 months without reading read these message boards and getting brainwashed. Let your pro decide when the time is ripe for a change...

fuzz nation
03-12-2008, 08:00 AM
Yeah, we get a little carried away with gear issues here. You've got a decent racquet right now and if there's not some specific issue that you are having with it, you may not need to worry about changing. If the "go out and get a new frame" bug has taken up residence in your head though, I strongly recommend the demo program offered by our pals at TW. No way to really know what is a good fit for you until you get out for a test drive.

I think that you can track down some options just by looking at the listed specs on the frames. The O3 White is a good idea - aside from its layout, it will also have a familiar grip shape - and another one you may want to try is the Volkl DNX 9.

If you get into frames that are significantly heavier than your Hornet, they will probably have significantly more power if they are also stiff like your frame. That's just something to keep in mind if you try the K Six-One 95 for example. The AeroPro Drive Cortex will probably also put a little more pop on the ball, but that might be something you're shopping for. If you try something significantly heavier, you may want it to also be more flexible if you feel like you need some control with it. I'm used to seeing softer, more controllable behavior in a racquet when its flex rating is down in the low 60's or high 50's, but that's for my racquets that are 12.5 oz. and heavier. Your comfort zone with something a little heavier than your frame would probably be in the mid to low 60's, but those ratings are only general guidelines.