PDA

View Full Version : Navratilova regains Czech nationality

Zaragoza
03-12-2008, 05:01 AM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/mar/11/navratilova.czech?gusrc=rss&feed=networkfront

Rabbit
03-12-2008, 11:28 AM
Well good for her.

chroix
03-12-2008, 11:48 AM
She rocks.

lambielspins
03-12-2008, 11:56 AM
Great to hear. Some major applause as well for her anti-Bush comments.

Gemini
03-12-2008, 12:15 PM
Wow. That's pretty extreme. And pretty immature in my opinion. You don't like something so you runaway from it. I can understand making a change because of some serious social, racial, gender, etc. types of oppression but changing simply because you don't care the politics is just immature.
Though I don't really see how her giving up U.S. citizenship is of any real significance.

Gemini
03-12-2008, 12:15 PM
Double Post

vandre
03-12-2008, 12:21 PM
the czechs can keep her!!!

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
03-12-2008, 12:26 PM
She might be the next Fed Cup coach, never know. :?

Kevin T
03-12-2008, 12:39 PM
I like how she compared the US under Bush to communism. Of course, she left when she was 18 and never got to experience the full brunt of that utopian society. Must have been tough living in "opressive" Aspen, CO. You can't even get good caviar there in the winter, thanks to the road conditions. Preposterous!!

Ben42
03-12-2008, 02:23 PM
She's keeping her US citizenship. There are lots of people with dual nationalities. I don't see what the big deal is.

Kevin T
03-12-2008, 02:54 PM
She's keeping her US citizenship. There are lots of people with dual nationalities. I don't see what the big deal is.

Read the article. No one cares about her dual citizenship. And if she doesn't agree with Bush and wants to bash him that's fine but don't compare the US to the old Eastern Bloc. That's ridiculous.

CyBorg
03-12-2008, 03:04 PM
Keep yapping Martina. Keep yapping. Whatever gets your through the day.

Crusher10s
03-12-2008, 03:58 PM
I so totally agree with KevinT and Cyborg. Oh and she's all upset with George Bush's politics but let's not forget just whose wicked regime was toppled by George Bush. I don't recall George Bush being found guilty of killing thousands and thousands of his own countrymen.

Yeah, ole Martina....she'd have lasted all of 30 seconds under Sadam's reign.

:rolleyes:

Rabbit
03-12-2008, 04:43 PM
Read the article. No one cares about her dual citizenship. And if she doesn't agree with Bush and wants to bash him that's fine but don't compare the US to the old Eastern Bloc. That's ridiculous.

Again, I agree with Kevin T completely. It is beyond ludicrous and an indictment of just how spoiled she has become to even make this type of comparison. It is, however, a clear picture as to just how polarized any discussion of politics is these days. You know, I strongly disagree with just about everything Bush has done as president and find myself embarassed that the man is in the White House. But, to say that this is Eastern Block is a joke. She couldn't have said that in old Czech and gotten away with it.

I recently saw a documentary on the father of conservatism, Barry Goldwater. He and JFK were going to debate around the country...and guess what? They were going to share an airplane because they were friends. After November '63, Goldwater wanted to drop out of the race because he lost his friend. I guarantee you wouldn't see that today.

I could care less if Navratilova has 4 citizenships.

CyBorg
03-12-2008, 04:50 PM
I don't recall George Bush being found guilty of killing thousands and thousands of his own countrymen.

In all fairness, Bush should have been fried in the electric chair for crimes against humanity a long time ago, but he's the "Sun King", you know.

Your whole post is kind of a non sequitur as well.

saram
03-12-2008, 08:32 PM
Martina has led the way in many areas-- tennis, women's sports in general, hatred towards gays/lesbians, and then some. I, for one--find her as a very inspirational person on many levels.

saram
03-12-2008, 08:33 PM
In all fairness, Bush should have been fried in the electric chair for crimes against humanity a long time ago, but he's the "Sun King", you know.

Your whole post is kind of a non sequitur as well.

There's still time--he's not out of office yet:twisted:

tzinc
03-12-2008, 11:56 PM
Bush's attacks on civil liberties are exactly what the commies did. His use of torture illegal wiretapping etc etc etc all very COMMIE LIKE!!!

TNT16
03-13-2008, 05:00 AM
Martina has led the way in many areas-- tennis, women's sports in general, hatred towards gays/lesbians, and then some. I, for one--find her as a very inspirational person on many levels.

Agreed.

I actually find her comments appropriate. She speaks as an American and expresses thoughts shared by many Americans - especially those who are concerned about how the rest of the world perceives us and our country these days.

There is no doubt that she loves this country and remains American - the whole point of our system is the freedom to express your views which she has done here yet again in her fearless way and she should be applauded for that.

aceroberts13
03-13-2008, 06:35 AM
Czech yo self before you wreck yo self! That's always been my motto.

Gemini
03-13-2008, 06:54 AM
I have no problem with Navratilova expressing her views on matters that are important to her. Everyone's entitled to his/her opinion, but how it regaining her former citizenship and not renouncing her U.S. citizenship a statement to be taken seriously.

By doing that, she's essentially saying that I'll live as Czech citizen when convenient and an American when appropriate. By doing this, she isn't confronting the issue of Bush's politics she's running away from it.

And just so people know, I have dual citizenship as well but I live as an American. I'm very proud to be an American despite any type of mucked-up politics that may be going on in this country and I'm not looking to retreat to a "potentially & most likely" temporary safe haven in terms of my citizenship.

Kevin T
03-13-2008, 07:36 AM
I'm just glad she's not a Subaru spokesperson anymore. Everyone thought I was a lesbian driving around in my Outback. Wait...I am a lesbian! :)

Gemini
03-13-2008, 07:38 AM
I'm just glad she's not a Subaru spokesperson anymore. Everyone thought I was a lesbian driving around in my Outback. Wait...I am a lesbian! :)

LOL!!! Priceless....

Benhur
03-13-2008, 10:19 AM
[QUOTE=CyBorg;2155716]In all fairness, Bush should have been fried in the electric chair for crimes against humanity a long time ago, but he's the "Sun King", you know.
QUOTE]

That's good. But Martina's point is well taken that Czechs at least had no say on who ruled them, they were not asked to vote, while Americans willingly elected that sinister character TWICE.

Regarding his status as a vicious war criminal, there is little question.

As of the time of the Lancet study in 2006, the figure of casualties was about 650,000. Someone made an illustrative comparison:

http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?SectionID=51&ItemID=11835

Comparable casualties [in the US, as percentage of population] would mean that every person in Atlanta, Denver, Boston, Seattle, Milwaukee, Fort Worth, Baltimore, San Francisco, Dallas and Philadelphia would be dead. Every. Single. Person.

Besides that unimaginable death toll, every person in Vermont, Delaware, Hawaii, Idaho, Nebraska, Nevada, Kansas, Mississippi, Iowa,
Oregon, South Carolina, and Colorado would be wounded. Every. Single. Person.
------------------
A more recent article based on the previous study concludes that from the start of the invasion through mid-2006 the number of deaths caused
directly by the occupiers was with utmost certainty at least 180,000, or about 5,000 a month. A more plausible figure, taking into account the pro-rata share of unattributed deaths by the occupiers, brings the figure to about 9,000 a month. Extrapolating this figure to the US
population would cause us to imagine, if we can, the case of a foreign-occupied US in which the occupiers are killing about 110,000
Americans every month. Or, if you prefer, more than one 9/11 per DAY.
For three years straight and with no end in sight. In addition, the "Salvador Option" of generalized terror was openly discussed right
before Negroponte, an expert on these kind of options, was sent to Iraq.
http://www.counterpunch.org/schwartz07052007.html

So, yes, Martina has a point.

Kevin T
03-13-2008, 10:43 AM
So you're also blaming all the suicide bombings on the US, as well? And the religious/ethnic fighting?

Benhur
03-13-2008, 11:07 AM
So you're also blaming all the suicide bombings on the US, as well? And the religious/ethnic fighting?

That's not what the above says. In any case, this is not a place to discuss politics. If you are interested in the topics you mention, you may begin researching them here.

Max Fuller'r's article
http://www.globalresearch.ca/articles/FUL506A.html

Mike Whitney
http://www.countercurrents.org/iraq-whitney200306.htm

Jonathan Steele (The Guardian)
http://www.commondreams.org/views06/1215-29.htm

Kevin T
03-13-2008, 01:22 PM
That's not what the above says. In any case, this is not a place to discuss politics. If you are interested in the topics you mention, you may begin researching them here.

Max Fuller'r's article
http://www.globalresearch.ca/articles/FUL506A.html

Mike Whitney
http://www.countercurrents.org/iraq-whitney200306.htm

Jonathan Steele (The Guardian)
http://www.commondreams.org/views06/1215-29.htm

Sure it does. And thanks for the references to such unbiased websites (tongue firmly in cheek). I assure you I am quite on top of things. But you are correct, this is not the section for politics. Now...back to my subaru/lesbian problem...

heftylefty
03-13-2008, 03:54 PM
I so totally agree with KevinT and Cyborg. Oh and she's all upset with George Bush's politics but let's not forget just whose wicked regime was toppled by George Bush. I don't recall George Bush being found guilty of killing thousands and thousands of his own countrymen.

Yeah, ole Martina....she'd have lasted all of 30 seconds under Sadam's reign.

:rolleyes:

As a gay woman Martina, I think, would have faired better under Sadam's Iraq than the theocracy that in place now. Iraq best tennis player was killed for wearing shorts. Remember, Iraq just hosted the President of Iran...in broad daylight. Isn't Iran on Bush's Hit List? Hell, I'm still waiting for the flowers and candy promised by the "geniuses" that thought Iraq would be a cakewalk.

And while we are at, I would like to see the Constitution make a comeback.

jeebeesus
03-13-2008, 05:02 PM
If she thought being Czech was so big deal then why did she get out in the first place? Now with the plentiful US Dollars in her pocket she suddenly thinks Czech is a better place.

And if anyone thinks Bush is the kickass bad guy then you should come over to Myanmar and say what some of the guys are saying on this board about the pppl in charge .

Or you should have gotten over to Iraq when Saddam was the main man and shoot off your mouth lol .

As for Martina why dont you just stfu and go fool around with your women lol

GS
03-16-2008, 08:15 AM
I have no problem with Navratilova expressing her views on matters that are important to her. Everyone's entitled to his/her opinion, but how it regaining her former citizenship and not renouncing her U.S. citizenship a statement to be taken seriously.

By doing that, she's essentially saying that I'll live as Czech citizen when convenient and an American when appropriate. By doing this, she isn't confronting the issue of Bush's politics she's running away from it.

And just so people know, I have dual citizenship as well but I live as an American. I'm very proud to be an American despite any type of mucked-up politics that may be going on in this country and I'm not looking to retreat to a "potentially & most likely" temporary safe haven in terms of my citizenship.

Yeah, Navratilova really bugs me. Remember when she was videotaped with her partner, Judy Nelson, in a "pre-nuptial agreement" years ago, promising Nelson half of her dough if they ever split? Then, when they later split, Marty went to court and contested the whole agreement. Huh? Then, after Marty retired, she bragged that she was the best female player ever. (Nice to see Steffi beat her the other day in Japan.) Then, she wrote THREE terrible "tennis-suspense-mystery" novels that nobody bought---but you can buy them used at amazon now, for a penny each. Then, she put up her Aspen, Colorado house and ranch for sale at $5.8 million, hoping to make a big profit. She was probably mad she had to settle for only $5 million. Now she's probably mad nobody wants to finance her dream tennis academy in Florida. I like how after announcing her Czech re-citizenship, she immediately had a follow-up press conference, emphasizing she was keeping her U.S. one. (Gotta keep that Florida residence for no personal income tax, right?) The only right thing she's done lately is to criticize Bush.....
She used to be hero of mine. Another former-hero was Kafelnikov---before he retired, he complained that the ATP Tour wasn't paying enough prize money. Granted, he played more matches than anybody back then (singles and doubles). I know these two players came from impoverished backgrounds, but now they're both millionaires. Ever see a recent photo of Kafelnikov? He's now a bloated, overweight guy who mostly plays golf....
Like Cyndi Lauper once sang, "Money changes everything. You think ya know what we're doin? We don't know a thing."

CyBorg
03-16-2008, 10:25 AM
So, yes, Martina has a point.

I don't think that there is any doubt that she has a point. What bothers people is that she is so incredibly insecure to feel a need to air it out in front of everyone.

Martina has always been this way. Her constant complaining about grass court surfaces is likewise annoying. She can make this point effectively, intelligently, but she doesn't. She vents. She's a venter.