PDA

View Full Version : Which natural gut?

thehunk
03-12-2008, 06:16 AM
Well I dont break strings often. Usually my strings go really dead so I have to get my racquet restrung. So that's why I decided its best for me to get natural gut, since I like to play with feel and like the crisp feel.

So which natural gut should I get. I dont want to spend the money for a full on natural gut like Babolat VS, but also dont want an extremely cheap one like Titan NG or sumthing. So I thought Babolat Tonic would be the best choice. But I just wanted to get your guys' opinion on what natural gut I should get before getting it. Why is Tonic cheaper then VS thermogut? is it worse? does it play the same? are there any other natural guts in the price range of the Tonic that are better?

Also just to let you guys know how long my strings last. I used NXT for about 2 months of hitting about 4-5 times a week for a couple of hours everyday and it did not break, but lost went COMPLETELY DEAD, so I had to cut it out numerous times. This also happened with Luxilon and any other multifilament I might have used.

Lambsscroll
03-12-2008, 06:25 AM
I can only compare Tonic and BDE rally gut. Both played great. Seem to fray the same. Just one is cheaper is all.

scotus
03-12-2008, 07:03 AM
Also just to let you guys know how long my strings last. I used NXT for about 2 months of hitting about 4-5 times a week for a couple of hours everyday and it did not break, but lost went COMPLETELY DEAD, so I had to cut it out numerous times. This also happened with Luxilon and any other multifilament I might have used.

Well, you are not much of a string breaker.

I would recommend Klip Legend with no prestretching. You might even want to try the 18 gauge -- more spin and in my opinion softer and more gut-like than its 17 gauge counterpart.

Azzurri
03-12-2008, 08:24 AM
Well, you are not much of a string breaker.

I would recommend Klip Legend with no prestretching. You might even want to try the 18 gauge -- more spin and in my opinion softer and more gut-like than its 17 gauge counterpart.

The Klip 18 is softer than the 17?? I am going to order a softer gut from Klip Legend 17 and decided on BDE Performance and maybe Tonic, but was not thinking of the Klip Legend 18. I don't break strings...ever (at least since the mid 90's).

thehunk
03-12-2008, 08:26 AM
I read some other reviews on this board saying that the Klip legend isnt as good as the Babolat Tonic though..?

Azzurri
03-12-2008, 10:23 AM
I read some other reviews on this board saying that the Klip legend isnt as good as the Babolat Tonic though..?

Not so much concerned about opinion on what is "better" but more so what their playing characteristics are. I chose the Klip Legend 17 for specific playing characteristics (crisp and low powered, for nat gut) and that is what I got. I believe Tonic is no different than Team except for the gauge consistency. So it is a great gut, like Klip, like Pacific, like BDE and any other quality gut TW sells.

Pro_Tour_630
03-12-2008, 10:31 AM
The Klip 18 is softer than the 17?? I am going to order a softer gut from Klip Legend 17 and decided on BDE Performance and maybe Tonic, but was not thinking of the Klip Legend 18. I don't break strings...ever (at least since the mid 90's).

Klip 17g is softer than 18g IMO, mojo will contest to that as well, , remember BDE 17g is inbetween those two in terms of gauge, if you want a thinner yet softer value NG go with BDE17g. You want to experience euphoria try Pacific prim 17g

rorschack
03-12-2008, 10:32 AM
here we go again...LOL which natural gut? :)

Pro_Tour_630
03-12-2008, 10:37 AM
Not so much concerned about opinion on what is "better" but more so what their playing characteristics are. I chose the Klip Legend 17 for specific playing characteristics (crisp and low powered, for nat gut) and that is what I got. I believe Tonic is no different than Team except for the gauge consistency. So it is a great gut, like Klip, like Pacific, like BDE and any other quality gut TW sells.

that is correct, as long as you/we all know that Tonic is inconsistent in gauge, one day you may get 1.30 the next day you may get 1.35mm who knows, for someone who is gauge sensitive that will change the playing characteristics wouldn't you say?

Azzurri
03-12-2008, 10:39 AM
Klip 17g is softer than 18g IMO, mojo will contest to that as well, , remember BDE 17g is inbetween those two in terms of gauge, if you want a thinner yet softer value NG go with BDE17g. You want to experience euphoria try Pacific prim 17g

What have you found to be different with the Pacific compared to the other two 17g guts? What are the playing characteristics like for you? I hybrid so the cost would only be $3 more....:)

Fedace
03-12-2008, 10:40 AM
I say BDE natural gut. I don't use gut anymore due to the weather problem but long ago i used to. I also used Babolat but it was way too expensive and was not worth it. BDE gut is very close to Babolat in quality and much cheaper.

Azzurri
03-12-2008, 10:56 AM
that is correct, as long as you/we all know that Tonic is inconsistent in gauge, one day you may get 1.30 the next day you may get 1.35mm who knows, for someone who is gauge sensitive that will change the playing characteristics wouldn't you say?

I have been playing 17g for years. I did play a 16g Head syn gut on a PS 85 and I will say there is a difference in feel to the 16g. It feels almost like the stringers are closer together and the ball has less of a biting feel (most likely the general feeling). So would I feel inconsitency in a gauge within the same string bed??? That is something I have never felt and completely your concerns regarding the gauge consistency. But it seems like most people would notice it (withing different gauge consistency from within the same string). Now if you string up 2 racquets with the Tonic and they come from different string packages and those strings are gauged differently, then I know what you mean. That would probably annoy most people.

So far, 2 Klip string jobs (by me on a Klippermate) ad they felt the same.
The ones that were strung by TW on an expensive achine were much more crisp.

Pro_Tour_630
03-12-2008, 10:58 AM
What have you found to be different with the Pacific compared to the other two 17g guts? What are the playing characteristics like for you? I hybrid so the cost would only be $3 more....:)
do not get me into Hybrids it is an endless saga.

Klip legend 17g though just a tad softer than its 18g counterpart was still crispy IMO, BDE 17g was slightly softer while Prime 17g is the softest like butter. But you like crispy strings maybe even stiff so I recommend Pacific tough gut 17g. I like softer response since IMO it pockets better and has more feel and touch for me, crispier are more jumpy they also sound different

Azzurri
03-12-2008, 11:04 AM

I have been playing 17g for years. I did play a 16g Head syn gut on a PS 85 and I will say there is a difference in feel to the 16g. It feels almost like the stringers are closer together and the ball has less of a biting feel (most likely the general feeling). So would I feel inconsitency in a gauge within the same string bed??? That is something I have never felt and completely your concerns regarding the gauge consistency. But it seems like most people would notice it (withing different gauge consistency from within the same string). Now if you string up 2 racquets with the Tonic and they come from different string packages and those strings are gauged differently, then I know what you mean. That would probably annoy most people.

So far, 2 Klip string jobs (by me on a Klippermate) ad they felt the same.
The ones that were strung by TW on an expensive achine were much more crisp.

Azzurri
03-12-2008, 11:05 AM
do not get me into Hybrids it is an endless saga.

Klip legend 17g though just a tad softer than its 18g counterpart was still crispy IMO, BDE 17g was slightly softer while Prime 17g is the softest like butter. But you like crispy strings maybe even stiff so I recommend Pacific tough gut 17g. I like softer response since IMO it pockets better and has more feel and touch for me, crispier are more jumpy they also sound different

That is what I thought. I thought the Klip was softer (still crisp) then I expected. So I want to try a soft string. Guess maybe the Pacific might be the string along with BDE.

Azzurri
03-12-2008, 11:08 AM
I say BDE natural gut. I don't use gut anymore due to the weather problem but long ago i used to. I also used Babolat but it was way too expensive and was not worth it. BDE gut is very close to Babolat in quality and much cheaper.

must have beena while ago. The Babolat is only $5 more.

Fedace
03-12-2008, 11:08 AM
Klip is 2nd rate, it breaks easily even while stringing. i used to use old Mcenroe pacific gut and it was the worst gut i had ever used, no control and 2nd rate power.

Fedace
03-12-2008, 11:11 AM
must have beena while ago. The Babolat is only $5 more.

Sorry, BDE has raised their price, those greedy folks. the recommendation from my world class string is PACIFIC tour gut or tough gut. i had not used these before but i trust my stringer since he had strung rackets for world class players like John Mcenroe and Jimmy Connors and Pete Sampras.

Pro_Tour_630
03-12-2008, 11:27 AM
Klip is 2nd rate,
Oh boy now you have done it:) I am out of this one

Pro_Tour_630
03-12-2008, 11:37 AM
the recommendation from my world class string is PACIFIC tour gut or tough gut.
It was originally called Pacific Tournament Pro better known as "tour gut" is now called Tournament pro tough gut, same string different packing:)

www.pacific.com

scotus
03-12-2008, 12:15 PM

That's from my experience. You try it and form your own judgment.

theace21
03-12-2008, 05:31 PM

I use BDE as a hybrid for the same reason. It is much cheaper than VS. Seems like people either love Klip legend or hate it. I have never been disappointed with BDE Performance.

Azzurri
03-12-2008, 07:40 PM
Oh boy now you have done it:) I am out of this one

I just laughed and ignored that silly statement. It felt gooooood.

t0nym4c
03-12-2008, 08:15 PM
VS GUTS is the best.

theace21
03-13-2008, 07:00 AM
VS GUTS is the best.

Yep, and you pay top dollar for the best. If money is not the issue, go with the best! If it is, try BDE or one of the other solid performers.

classic tennis
03-13-2008, 07:04 AM
Yep I'll go along with VS being the best but a very underated & top quality gut is Bow Brand from England. They string at Wimby & anyone without a deal plays the Gut, look for the spot marking on all the players in the early rounds & the doubles guy's.