PDA

View Full Version : Playing Difference-Gut Hybrid

john hempel
03-12-2008, 09:47 AM
Can someone refer me to a source or explain for me the relative advantages of stringing mains with gut and crosses with syn/poly versus mains with syn/poly and crosses with gut? i know that there are differences in individual string, but i'm trying to understand the general difference in the two approaches. Thanks for any clarification. John

Casey10s
03-12-2008, 06:34 PM
In talking to a few people who do a LOT of stringing, Luxilon on the mains will provide more power/less control. Luxilon on the the crosses will provide less power/more control. This also depends a lot on the tensions used for each.

TonyB
03-13-2008, 02:57 AM
In talking to a few people who do a LOT of stringing, Luxilon on the mains will provide more power/less control. Luxilon on the the crosses will provide less power/more control. This also depends a lot on the tensions used for each.

Huh? Poly in the mains being MORE powerful than gut in the mains?

You're not talking to the right people.

origmarm
03-13-2008, 04:37 AM
I am going to start experimenting with this shortly. The difference as explained to me is that the stringbed will be a combination of the characteristics of the main and cross strings. The primary characteristics however will be the main.

So for example gut mains/poly crosses would play like a gut job but the poly would tame the power, make the stringbed stiffer and provide more spin potential ("grippier" poly string). A poly main/gut crosses hybrid would play like a poly job but less stiff with a bit more power. Does that make sense or am I just rambling? :)

nickb
03-13-2008, 04:39 AM
Correct...well explained too :)

Nick

Bud
03-13-2008, 04:56 AM
Huh? Poly in the mains being MORE powerful than gut in the mains?

You're not talking to the right people.

I agree. When I want to tame down the power of gut mains, I'll place a poly in the cross.

If I want a dampened feel on the string bed but don't want it overly harsh, I'll place poly in the mains and gut (or some other soft string) in the crosses.

I don't agree that poly is more powerful than gut in the mains. But, this is my opinion and based on trying both configurations many times.